1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. yywwyy

yywwyy Senior member

I've never done proxy before. Where would I look for people willing to proxy?

2. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

What advantage would there be to using a proxy? Can't you get as good a price as a proxy could simply by ringing up the store and placing an order? Why complicate things?

3. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Too late... I picked up all the UK 6 :) I recommend e-mailing the UK stores. I have ordered from them a couple of times and if they do not have a UK 6 in stock, they can call other stores and get them. The thing is you have to pay for shipping (which was 30 pounds I think when I purchased my Somervilles a month or so ago) and risk duty fees, but it is probably the best way to get our sizes.

I have also pre-ordered from Pediwear for typical stock styles. You are correct that the wait can last months but if you are not in a rush, they have great customer service and free shipping.

Let me know if you have any C&J you want to unload :smarmy:

4. Viral

Viral Senior member

I'm looking for Sydney in brown in UK6 forever..................Please let me know if anyone can get a deal on a pair. Slightly used is OK too.

5. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Shouts out to all - in a rush today - sorry.

Shoes - C&J Finsbury, Horween Shell, starting to take on a great shine (purchased November so far they've had one coat of Reno, one coat of Kiwi tan paste was and another coat of Reno and LOT's of buffing.)
    Socks - Pantherella
    Trou - Epaulet

[​IMG]

Cross poast from Rock your Socks Threak

1 person likes this.
  6. Paradox_SWE

Paradox_SWE Member

Casual shell cordovan is only alternative in this shitty weather today..

[​IMG]

7. curzon

curzon Senior member

“Curzon understands the cultural nuances of our ti

+1

Check w/ Alastair here. If you're outside UK & EU they're reduced 20%.

8. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Thanks! Actually have too many walnut shoes and thinking of using dark brown cream (instead of neutral creams) and hopefully after a couple of years end up with a nice dark brown color...

Or I could always pick up a pair of Finsbury! :slayer:

9. Frank the sheep

Frank the sheep Senior member

I had my Northcote for one year and use them on regular basics but i have shoes i wear more often during winter. When i came home yesterday and took them off i noticed that the sole was a bit loose in the front of the right shoe. I was surprised to see this because i´m not a guy who wears out my shoes. I had sneakers when i was younger that i had everyday in school for several years... Anyway, below is also pics of one of the shoes i use very often, Loake Pimlico, and this shoe is two years old.

Is this "normal" or should i go back to the store with them?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Looks like the stitching came off the toe portion... Interesting. At least it might not be a major job for a competent cobbler.

11. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

cobbler should be able to fix this

12. Frank the sheep

Yes i know.... the reason i put the pics here was because i wanted to know if this is something that happens or if it´s unusual and a reson to go back to the store and complain.

13. claes500

claes500 Senior member

My guess is that it is related to the salt on the swedish roads? It is probably not a construction fault but I am not certain. Do you reguraly wipe the shoes to remove the salt?

14. Frank the sheep

My normal routine is to wipe the shoe and sole with a damp cloth during the winter, i also put cream on the sole edges to protect them. The reason i put the pics on the Loake shoe was to show how little wear it´s on them after two years of heavy use. I´ve used the CJ far less and only for one year and then this happens. I have a light step and more or less never worn a shoe out in my entire life, even my running shoes looks almost new even if i have run 1500 km in them.... I guess i expected more from a quality shoe that has been pampered.

15. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

I would guess the length of the last may have factored in that. Your biomechanics and the elongated toe may have lead to that result. Also, maybe you caught the toe some time before without noticing, caused a slight separation, and daily wear and tear resulted in what happened..C&J quality control is excellent and I would think other confounding factors may come into play. Hard to complain also after a year's wear too. Hope you're able to get them fixed.

Out of curiosity, 1500K is a lot of miles on the same running shoe... Shouldn't you change around 500-800K?

16. Frank the sheep

According to the makers that´s true but they want you to buy new stuff all the time :) Since i don´t wear them down i see no reason to get new ones, i normal buy one pair this time of the year and then one pair in july/august. There´s no prof that a shoe doesn´t "work" after a certain km, the studies that been made by others than the manufacturers show no difference in performance in a new and a old shoe. There is also no proof that the shoe will protect you from injuries, i do all my training in quite light shoes. The only factor that matters regarding injuries is how fast and much you increase your training.

So....as long as the outer sole is fresh i run in my shoes :)

17. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Interesting. I definitely do feel the difference after I cross the 400 mile barrier with my shoes (which is when I rotate another pair). I was always under the assumption that the midsole (where the cusioning and shock absorbtion resides), wears out much sooner than the outer soles (since they are made of hardier rubber). I do run outside on asphalt/concrete and go for moderate distance runs so that may factor in.
    Anyway, lets get back to C&J! :)

18. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

RL (made by CJ) Poller

true to size fit?????
    [​IMG]

19. inimitable

inimitable Senior member

Just received these back from having a resole at C&J

[​IMG]

20. JohnsNotHere

JohnsNotHere Senior member