1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Tamyom

Tamyom Active Member

As far as I know those boots were made by Alfred Sargent on their 88 last and not Crockett Jones.

2. EnglishShoes

EnglishShoes Senior member

Hey @Cleav , do you happen to have these for sale at the moment? ;)

3. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

No, emphatically no! Though I know why you ask. I was busy on the interwebz when I should have busy doing other things and came across an ebay listing that looked familiar. On further investigation someone, selling a pair, had posted my pic as the lead photo without permission. I asked the question, they tried to bluff it and relented.. I agreed to let them use the pic if they made to clear it wasn't a photo of the shoe for sale. I also pointed out that the sizing was incorrect, they put that right too.

Having said all that is that why you asked the question?

4. EnglishShoes

EnglishShoes Senior member

I just spotted the listing and I thought I recognised the shoe from this thread! Distinctive patina.

ETA: Their actual shoe looks a totally different shade to yours too. Very misleading to lead with your photo.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  5. Cleav

Thanks for the nod anyway, much appreciated.

I do have shoes for sale though (no listings), no reasonable offer refused on any in Cleav's shoes

6. Cleav

Yeah, I thought it was misleading as there was 5 people watching. Hence asking them to take the pic down or make it clear it was not a photo of the shoe for sale :D

7. Carson

Carson Senior member

That's interesting, what information are you drawing that conclusion from?

There are two other current listings on ebay as well that both also think it's a C&J boot…one, a UK-seller that does a lot of C&J and should know better,
    and the other, a forum member who also knows his UK boots well...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ralph-Laure...420359?hash=item1c61a70647:g:lUcAAOSwWnFWApOz

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182039469586?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

8. alexSF

alexSF Senior member

@Tamyom is right, and all these boots are 100% Alfred Sargent on their 88 last.
    It's a common mistake to consider that stamp a C&J stamp, but it isn't.

It is the old AS stamp used in their classic and premier line (before they switched to handgrade / exclusive etc.)
    They used to make shoes for Polo in the early 2000's

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  9. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

But isn't that stamp exactly the same as that used by C&J?

10. Dd1101

Dd1101 Senior member

Trying to figure out which one to keep.
    CJ Swansea or peal co swb considering I will wear these maybe once a week don't think i want to keep them both.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. nbj08

nbj08 Senior member

They both look great. I think it depends on how you'll be wearing them.

If with business attire, I'd opt for the slightly pointier toe on your left foot. With bar lacing, they would look especially nice.

If with casual attire, I'd opt for the slightly more rounded toe on your right foot.

12. Carson

Carson Senior member

they're very similar…it still looks a lot more like my other C&J boots than an AS

13. Tamyom

Tamyom Active Member

Right.

I owned a pair of these boots a few years ago and sent a picture of the inside markings to Alfred Sargent. Their customer service confirmed me they had manufactured those boots for the american market (without mentioning RL).

Anyway, for anyone who owns AS boots, those markings are very familiar, and the 88 last is one of their most known.

As per the Ebay UK seller mentioned by @Carson , it is not the first time they make this type of mistake.

1 person likes this.
  14. Carson

Carson Senior member

THanks for the information there. The leather appears to be kind of a waxy rough out. How did you take care of it??

15. Tamyom

Tamyom Active Member

I treated mine with Saphir dark brown crème de luxe, and wax of the same brand, which I also use with my other pairs of box calf shoes and boots.On the long term they lost that distressed rough out look, which didn't bother me personally, and the leather became homogeneous in apperance, like a waxy leather.

I would not advise you to proceed as I did if you want to preserve the exact used distressed look they have when new. I wouldn't know if there is a specific product you could use to treat and preserve that leather without changing the aesthetics.

1 person likes this.
  16. csc67

csc67 Senior member

I've never owned a pair of C&J with rubber soles - What are the pro / con's of a rubber sole? Do rubber soles look noticeably different from leather soles (Read: can another person tell if they are rubber soles)?

Thanks

17. Carson

Carson Senior member

I could seem them looking interesting with Saphir cream and wax, but I think I might, as you advised, avoid that . The previous owner - right before he shipped it - told me that he put renovateur on them to "make them look nicer," and I was a little, lol, unhappy about that because I wanted them to look more distressed. That said, I think they look fine now. I will probably just let them go for now and do as little a possible. Maybe a little of the Saphir greasy for CXL down the road if they get too dry. Thanks again for the info.

18. Carson

Carson Senior member

check out the dainite soles. I have an Islay and coniston with them. The main pros are obviously they are more forgiving in wet weather, but they still look professional. The cons, IMHO, is that I still find them a bit slippery on certain surfaces. i am sure others will have more to add...

19. Odd I/O

Odd I/O Senior member

Does Crockett & Jones shoe trees only come in whole sizes? I checked at several stockists and none of the offered any half sizes which I thought was weird.

20. razl

razl Senior member

Can anyone provide some sizing advice for the 325? I'm looking at an Onslow in it and haven't had much luck turning up any info.