1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

2. Fred G. Unn

PSA: take an additional 20% off all Paul Stuart sale items when you add it to the cart. They probably have more C&Js in store, but at least online they have the "Mervin" (really the C&J Merton) in brown for only $301 right now if anyone wants a 348 last loafer. No idea is sizing is US or UK so maybe call the NYC store and ask.
    https://www.paulstuart.com/men-s/sale-1/shoes/mervin-loafer.html

3. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

YMMV, but the Hallams indicate UK sizing and to add 1 for your American size.

1 person likes this.
  4. Fred G. Unn

You're right. I hadn't noticed under "Size & Fit" they do say that they are UK sizes.

5. Technica

Technica Active Member

Hi, I'm thinking of buying the C&J Coniston boots which I have absolutely fallen in love with.

I'm very tempted to get the navy color, but I am just not sure how the colour navy would work in shoes? Most people seem to say shoes need to be either black or brown/tan, and any other colours should be avoided.

What is your opinion on navy colored shoes for men? Would the navy conistons be versatile enough to wear with many different outfits including suit? Or too restrictive?

Would love some input! If any navy Coniston owners could chime in as well that would be great! :D

Many thanks!

6. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

I think they're definitely tougher to wear than brown. If I were you I would hold out for brown ones.

7. Allen Dreadmon

Allen Dreadmon Senior member

If you do not already own a tan cap toe boot, I would recommend getting tan first.

8. SoleFreak

SoleFreak Active Member

Took a trip out to Pediwear in Halifax, UK to try out 3 different shoe trees for my Lonsdales. The 3 that I picked were;

1. Crocket & Jones Natural Wood Shoe Tree RRP £59.95
    2. Pediwear Collection Split Toe Fully Lasted Cedar Shoe Tree RRP £24.95
    3. La Cordonnerie Anglaise Shoe Tree RRP 64.95

Didn't bother with any of the Saphir trees as they are best suited to a wider lasted shoe. Now much to my surprise the C&J were the best fitting tree. Without getting all technical, it just filled out the shoe in all right places, getting as close as possible to that original last (363) that the Lonsdale is made on. It also helped my OCD in getting a matching trees to go with my shoes, with the added benefit of having the shiny C&J metal plaque. Not the cheapest but definitely the best suited to this particular last, just my subjective opinion of course.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  9. Galix

Galix Senior member

Gentlemen,

These arrived today :satisfied:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

11. Fred G. Unn

Glad they worked out! I use C&J trees in several of mine too. Even though they aren't actually lasted, they are a very good fit for most C&Js.

12. Saturninus

Saturninus Well-Known Member

I got a pair of those shoe trees when I bought a pair of Audleys, and it seems to work perfectly for that last too (337). I guess the 337 and the 363 last are close enough.

I'm thinking about getting another pair to put in a pair of BB Peal made by C&J shoes that I suspect are built on the 360 last. These trees are a lot more snug in that shoe, but that's fine because I wouldn't mind to stretch those shoes a tiny bit in the instep area.

I've got another pair of C&J on the way (I hope) built on the 335 last, and I was thinking about getting these trees for that too.

But now those are three very different lasts - 337, 360 and 336, and I think I might be pushing my luck hope that these trees would work for all three

1 person likes this.
  13. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

I really like the shoe trees that came with my C&J HG shoes some years ago (dark ones). I do not know if C&J still offer the same ones.

[​IMG][​IMG]

14. SoleFreak

SoleFreak Active Member

They do still offer these, spoke to C&J today, apparently they are for another last, can't remember which, but the sales assistant did say that they are a longer, narrower tree (which can be seen in your pic) and wouldn't be a good fit for my 363 last otherwise I would of purchased them.

15. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

They came from UK with a pair of shoes on the 358 last.

1 person likes this.
  16. Technica

Technica Active Member

Quote:
    Thanks for your responses.

I agree, I think the navy one would be a bit too restrictive, and definitely not a great color for the first boot!

Now I actually have a different conundrum: I was at a C&J store today and tried on both the tan Conistons and the dark brown Northcotes. Really loving both and now I cant choose between them!

I think the Northcotes look a bit sleeker due to the pointier toe last? Could these be worn in the countryside for short hikes and casually as well or are these too formal? Are the Northcotes more "fragile" than the Conistons?

I ask this because I commute to work mainly on my bicycle, and need shoes that are good agains the rain and general abuse (pedals, dirt etc from the ground etc). Would the grained leather on the Conistons be better? Or the waxed on the Northcotes???

17. Allen Dreadmon

I have no experience with the Northcotes, but they are definitely a dressier boot due to last shape and leather. I also ride a bicycle and I think the scotch grain on the Conistons would be more forgiving. Which boot fit better?

18. Technica

Technica Active Member

The pointier last on the Northcotes definitely fit me better, and the waxed leather felt more supple and comfortable. In terms of comfort I would say Northcotes win, look also a lot sleeker. But I'm not sure how appropriate it will be for cycling and casual weekend wear? Scotch grain leather > waxed smooth leather for toughness?

19. Allen Dreadmon

I would think any scratches or scuffs would be hidden better with scotch grain. I've never handled waxed calf though.

20. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Grained leather will almost always win out over straight wax calf in terms of toughness and standing up to abuse.

Edit: having said that though, fit is king.