1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

I think I just ordered the BB version of the Coniston in #8.

Yes, C&J has always impressed me with their offerings. Looking forward to getting these in the mail.

Thanks.

1 person likes this.
  2. mstacle

mstacle New Member

Good tidings,

I am looking to pick up the Skye II boots in dark brown shell, but have a few questions for the esteemed members of this forum.

First, where to buy?
    I'm located in the US, in Chicago. I contacted the New York store, who informed me that they would cost $1150. On C&J's website, the price is listed as 675 pounds, or about $814 minus vat at the current exchange rate. Is it possible to buy from C&J in the UK to get a more favorable price? Or are there online retailers in the UK that I could order from? (I haven't found stock on any UK sites yet.)

Second, sizing.
    I am a pretty standard 10D on the Brannock device. I don't own any C&J shoes yet, but take a 10D on the AE 5 last pretty comfortably. Having read through a few (hundred) pages on this thread, am I correct in assuming that I should go with a UK9 on the 335 last?

Thanks all.

3. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

You can call one of the UK stores and order directly through them for shipping to the U.S.

4. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

1. Yeah, just send an email or call one of the UK stores.
    2. That sounds about right but as always, YMMV.

5. Webbo

Webbo Senior member

Recently bought the exact same pair from C&J in London via email. Superb service and perfect advice re sizing. I would recommend contacting them at their mail order department as per their website.

6. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

CJ adheres to their roots and makes classic english shoes so of course I am a big fan. I love my coniston boot. As long as lobb doesn't attempt a hostile takeover I look forward to future purchases.

2 people like this.
  7. ertu

ertu Well-Known Member

The (brass? or what?) nails under the soles are wearing down. How long will they last? I ask because I topied the front sole and now that part will last a long time (it will definitely outlast the heel).

I am concerned the heel will wear away over time (since it is mostly leather) and I will end up with a flat sole. But of course I will replace it before that will ever happen, I want to know how long the heel will last and is the wearing down of the nails OK?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  8. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Senior member

Replace the toplift of the heel once the rubber has been eaten away, before you start eating away at the heel stack. Heel strikes will always cause the rubber dove tail to wear down much faster than the leather.

9. ertu

ertu Well-Known Member

I am asking about the nails in the heel. Those seem not as easy to replace and they do get worn down as the heel surface gets worn down over tine.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  10. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

It would be up to the shoe repair to decide how s/he wanted to re-attached the toplift. None of the shoe repairs I have been to try to replicate the original nail pattern.

11. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Order direct, I have numerous times.
    Crockett & Jones - 92 Jermyn Street
    jermynstreet@crockettandjones.co.uk

12. mstacle

mstacle New Member

Thanks all, I've reached out.

13. TonyK

TonyK Member

Sizing Question:

I want some C&Js but I don't know where to start. I am very comfortable in A&E 8.5EEE shoes formed on their 201 last, but their 65 last is miserable. Can anyone out there with EEE feet provide some direction translating into a C&J shoe/boot? Thank you in advance for your help!

14. irbe

irbe Senior member

Does anybody else have the problem of "loose" ankle/ heel on CJ? I have a pair of RL marlows in 8D, fits perfect in the toe box but the back of the shoe ever feels slightly wide, not to the point where its slipping out.

Also the same when I tried on a pair of scotch grain BB boots in a 8D, 240 last. Toe was a little snug - guessing to the 240 last, but again I felt lot of volume around the ankle / heel area.

15. Allen Dreadmon

Allen Dreadmon Senior member

I wear my Marlows with tongue pads. That may help your situation. If they are new, the soles will be stiff causing the heel slip as well. This should lessen with wear.

16. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

Gentlemen,

They have arrived and I am impressed with their understated tastefulness and elegance. Especially considering they are a high boot after the; "Shooting Boot" tradition:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  17. Mutombo

Mutombo Senior member

Very nice. The BB shell boots are one of my favorites.

18. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Dude you are raking in the shell tall boots - nice!

19. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

[​IMG]

Yes Sir. Merry Christmas to Me.

20. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

@Watchman1 very nice :nodding: