1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

I am a 7UK in the Oscar last and I am ordering the same size for the Snowdon GMTO.

2. shoelover

shoelover Senior member

Crockett and Jones for Ralph Lauren chocolate suede balmoral.

[​IMG]

3. schwein2015

schwein2015 Member

LDV, thanks for your help.

I jumped right in and ordered a 6.5E Cavendish loafer on 325 last. Belatedly found out that 325 last is a narrower last among C&J's lasts.
    Having said that, the 6.5E Cavendish is so tight on the width, that I now doubt any of the E-width on C&J will fit my feet.

Looking around on the web, there seems to be F-width C&Js available from 3rd party e-retailers. However, on C&J's website, they only have E and G widths. Appreciate some advice here.

Again, I am on Church's 6.5G on their Consul oxford model. Am looking for C&J's loafers and oxfords.

Many thanks.

4. Farhad19620

Farhad19620 Senior member

Perfect for a warm and Rainy day in London today

[​IMG]

5. NewStart

NewStart Senior member

Perfect for the weather.

I picked the wrong shoes when leaving the house today :(

6. B-Rogue

B-Rogue Well-Known Member

What do you mean by "demand"?? People shouldn't have to demand that a guest takes shoes off. The guest should ask if he/she should take the shoes off and the host will either say yes or no. Using the word demand implies that you insist to walk in their house with shoes on which forces the host to insist that you take them off.

You expect people to have guest shoe trees to provide???? What world do you live in? You are aware that a few hours or even days without shoes tress in your shoes won't have a detrimental effect on the latter, right?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  7. pravda

pravda Senior member

@Marks11

I agree with You. If you want my shoes off, please provide shoe trees, felt bags and top shelf liquor for my trouble

8. Marks11

Marks11 Member

Sorry, this was intended to be humorous. It would be great if guest shoe trees did exist though. I grew up in a shoe-free household so understand where you are coming from.

If only!! Don't forget the 500mm shoe horn for later as well.

1 person likes this.
  9. EnglishShoes

EnglishShoes Senior member

I'm definately getting a set of guest shoe trees! The entrance hall will smell amazing :)

1 person likes this.
  10. pravda

pravda Senior member

This thread is funny. Takes shoe valet service to a whole new level. And Don't forget the basket of cashmere socks and
    straw flip flops. Lol

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  11. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

Not sure which one to order on Monday.

Islay or Skye? Both in Dark Brown Grain.

Islay feel kind of odd with 5 rows of speed hooks, disproportionate .. Am I missing something? What would be the difference between the two other than that? Not much difference in last or brogueing either ..

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  12. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

The shaft of the Islay when compared to the Lindrick is taller, so this may also be the case when compared to the Skye as well.

13. B-Rogue

B-Rogue Well-Known Member

Ooops, sorry [​IMG] I thought I was dealing with some aristocratic guy whom had lost touch with reality. [​IMG][​IMG]

14. minimalcloset

minimalcloset New Member

I bought some brown Loundes the other day. The first day I wore them in the rain. I know. I know. Bad move, but I live in England. After one day, the soles look like this...

It looks like at the toe the stitching was most reached. This looks really bad to me. Am I off?[​IMG]

15. pravda

pravda Senior member

@mimi show us what the top of the toe looks like. With shoe trees over a few days, you may be ok. You could also put a rubber tap or cover in a thin rubber 1/2 sole to avoid future wear after they dry out

16. Webbo

Webbo Senior member

That's right. I looked at both closely before deciding on the Skye. The Islay is actually a bigger boot all round, longer shaft and and wider last. The Skye boot is not exactly dainty but the Islay is really substantial .

17. NewStart

NewStart Senior member

look completely normal to me

18. minimalcloset

minimalcloset New Member

The manager at the CJ store in Birmingham UK told me that new soles would last up to five years. After one wear the toe is already chewed up. I am not worried about the ball of the foot area but If that toe goes, then I am going to start eating the upper that is just above the sole on the toe. I think the extended toe on the Lowndes last is the cause which seems to catch the pavement. I think when I get them resoled (hopefully later than sooner) I will get a rubber sole as posed to leather.

19. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

You should invest in a Dainite sole shoes for those rainy days. They are far more practical.

20. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

In the first place no one can reasonably claim that any sort of sole leather or rubber for that matter will last that long or any set period of time for that matter. Regardless it will come down to type of sole and the conditions, how often, and the gate of the person wearing the shoe.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015