1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. nigeljh

nigeljh Well-Known Member

Panic over!

I've just had confirmation from Crockett and Jones mail order that the Snowdon is NOT being discontinued. Maybe they are no longer selling through outlets other than their own shops.

They also told me that they could do an MTO boot with full bellows tongue in the grain leather found on the Islay boot and are currently checking with the factory to see if there is any available zug leather...

2. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

ZUG? I am potentially interested in the revival of this GMTO though ideally I'd like it to have a faux captoe as I just feel it balances the bulk ever so slightly making it a touch more wearable to the office when the weather outside is awful. But put me down as potentially interested either way please.

3. nigeljh

Will do!

4. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

ZUG??? Count me in! I've always had my eye on a Snowdon.

5. NewStart

NewStart Senior member

6. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

Did someone say Zug? In!!!! :slayer:

7. nigeljh

At this rate we'll have 12 by the end of the day! I just hope they have the zug to match...

8. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I was outside, but I thought I heard someone say Zug in here...

9. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

I think the Z word has been reverberating around the entire forum.

Just checking: CJ requires all orders to be the same width on GMTO? Or are other widths allowed?

10. bespoken pa

For the uninitiated you will have 12 im the next 15 minutes.

11. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

Lol. I'm shocked there aren't 30 takers yet. I should have said "ZUG" when I tried to do a snowdon...

12. Farhad19620

Farhad19620 Senior member

I find C&J boots are slightly more heavier then EG but the heaviest boots I have are from Trickers! built like a tank.
    I have owned the Islay and Skye boots but found no major issue with weight. The Skye 3 is nice!

13. DavidLane

DavidLane Senior member

I'll bite, what the hell is a ZUG?

Respectfully,

DL-

14. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

I'm not 100% sure (though I know I want some) but a quick search of SF over the last year or so suggests Zug may be one of the following:

1) Elusive and mischievous tree eating varmints.

2) Principal component of new NASA space station to orbit Mars.

3) Rare, durable leather (nah, sounds boring).

4) Latest Republican Party presidential candidate (already polling ahead of everyone but Trump).

Other theories abound but I do not think Zug and Kaiser Soze are the same person.

15. DavidLane

DavidLane Senior member

As a leather worker for the past 16 years, I can say that I have never heard of Zug leather. My guess is it is either an ancient or made up term.

There are leathers that are more waterproof and durable, but it is more to do with the tanning and/or finishing of the hide.

My guess is that the term Zug is synonymous with a textured/waterproof hide which is most likely achieved by one of the following methods, shrunken or stamped. Any natural grain on a hide comes out in the tanning process. Sometimes hides are shrunk to accentuate the grain lost is the process. Any other texture (on cowhides) would be artificial or stamped.

Though these are not always inferior in quality, they are most certainly man made grain textures applied after the tanning process. Typically the hides that are split to top grains are stamped, and as a result are more often than not less expensive.

There may well be a zugging process or it stems from a traditional method, but I am not aware of any such thing. I would always purchase full grain leathers if possible, and if they are not shrunken or stamped they should not have any texture to them presuming we are talking about cow hides.

DL-

1 person likes this.
  16. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Not sure where Zug came from either, but Heather Gorse is the more "official" name I believe.

17. bespoken pa

I believe crat gave a full description in the eg thread. The issue with calling something zug is synonymous with calling everything russian reindeer calf. I believe zug is a unique material however other manufactures invoke the name for marketing purposes.

18. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

I WOULD ALSO LIKE SOME ZUG PLEASE

19. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

The zug I may have had I would like someone else to have.

You're welcome :)

1 person likes this.
  20. NewStart

NewStart Senior member

Thank Farhad, i haven't got any Trickers for exactly the same reason - i guess they are just too big for my frame (not sure if it is the right word)