1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. 604Coast

604Coast Senior member

Glad I can be a part of this thread. I made my first purchase of quality footwear just recently, with the C&J Chelsea 5 boot in dark brown antique nubuck colour. They are marked as subs, and I've searched for flaws (I'm OCD from my cars to my clothes) and came up with nothing. Decent deal for $315 shipped? [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

Well, here's a question. If this is really supposed to be an "official" thread a la the Alden thread, hopefully someone can help on this.

Just acquired these literally free as part of a mind-blowing stroke of luck on Ebay. I've only ever seen two other pairs of C&J - one is my RL Darltons and the other was a C&J Malvern suede that I let go as being too narrow. [​IMG] Either way, 95% of my shoes are Alden shell, so I've very little clue on C&J identification.

Obviously, they're blucher/derbies, and obviously they've got a wingtip. What does one call the line going back from the blucher, almost like a bastardization of a wingtip and a longwing blucher? These have leather soles, but I wouldn't have been surprised to see a rubber sole on them.

The insole identifies them as Crockett & Jones made for Gordon Scott, a store formerly on New Bond Street. My confusion is this: they're labeled "Greenwich" but that's clearly the Gordon Scott name, as the C&J Greenwich is a boot. These are on the 317 last. I haven't been able to find any trace of this model on Google or searches here; thus, I turn here as a last resort before concluding they were a special make for that store. Does anyone know if these correspond to a C&J model, or indeed anything about this type of shoe?

The shoes fit quite nicely, and I'm happy to have them in the closet. Now, to find space on the shelves...

Numbers on the inside are as follows:

8233 101/2 F (= 11.5E US)
    317 Greenwich

On the other side, though impossible to capture in photos:
    K38306

Here are the shoes:
    [​IMG]

and here are links to the photos of the insides:
    size & last info
    insole image

3. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

there's nothing massively mysterious about them. CJ did indeed make many shoes for Gordon Scott, which AFAIK is no longer around. The design is a traditional kind of wingtip, church's still makes their own. the last is 317, obviously.

4. david3558

david3558 Senior member

God...those double monks are beautiful.

5. Archivist

Archivist Senior member

At what point does one experience diminishing returns going from $700 to $1300 shoes?
    Well, I have EG that are, on my feet, more comfortable than C&J handgrades. But both are exceptional. Are the EG worth almost 2X the C&J? I can't answer that question. At that point, I don't think it has a lot to do with price any longer. I appreciate and enjoy both.

6. Keyboard Warrior

Keyboard Warrior Well-Known Member

The last on EG fits your feet better than C&J, so price has little to do with comfort in this case

7. singlechange

singlechange Senior member

Clifford Model in Last 337 U.K. size 10. Been looking for one for a while and finally snagged one preowned.
    [​IMG]

8. Getzione

Getzione Senior member

A quick shot of the Tetbury;

[​IMG]

9. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

[​IMG]

I was deciding between this and Northcote, finally went for Northcote, though still waiting for them to get it from the factory...

10. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Senior member

A quick shot of the Tetbury; [​IMG]
    Love them...another to add to the list.

11. onix

onix Senior member

Love them...what model are these?

ugh...

[​IMG]

12. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Senior member

ugh...

I know...I wasn't paying attention!! [​IMG]

13. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

CJ Swansea with dainite sole. I bought them to wear with jeans, but they are a little too sleek for casual ... keeping them though. Will get the Pembroke for jeans [​IMG]

14. Getzione

Getzione Senior member

I was deciding between this and Northcote, finally went for Northcote, though still waiting for them to get it from the factory...

Im looking to get a pair of the northcote aswell, although the tetbury has held up remarkably well through a norwegian winter. Post some pictures when you get them [​IMG]

15. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

Im looking to get a pair of the northcote aswell, although the tetbury has held up remarkably well through a norwegian winter. Post some pictures when you get them [​IMG]

definitely will do, though just got a phone call, they said it might got delayed by up to 2 weeks [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] , I thought the point of paying retail, is instant gratification

16. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

CJ Swansea with dainite sole. I bought them to wear with jeans, but they are a little too sleek for casual ... keeping them though. Will get the Pembroke for jeans

[​IMG]

very nice, if you want to flip, let me know your size first[​IMG]

17. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

[​IMG]

What can I say?

18. Clark

Clark Senior member

Chepstow, Finsbury and Drummond: [​IMG] /C

19. CashmereLover

CashmereLover Senior member

CJ Swansea with dainite sole. I bought them to wear with jeans, but they are a little too sleek for casual ... keeping them though. Will get the Pembroke for jeans

I have exactly the same shoes and trees. [​IMG]

Wear them with anything from jeans to dress pants. Maybe they are a bit too sleek for casual, as you put it, but I think they look great with jeans.

20. dmash

dmash Senior member

What would be a good price on a BNIB pair of Cliffords? Tan colorway....I think I can get a pair for $325 shipped. Should I jump all over this?

Also, if it says 8 1/2E on the outside of the box...does the for sure mean a UK 8 1/2E or does C&J sometimes list US sizes on the outside of the box...?