• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Understood.

However, a quick image search of C&J South Africa revealed this:

And this website... which I'm assuming are SA C&J models. The shoe on eBay has the same stitched label on the inside. I could of course be mistaken, but I can't imagine C&J UK making these.
Quite true - C&J have been manufacturing a local range in South Africa for many many years - 70`s or 80`s...

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quite true - C&J have been manufacturing a local range in South Africa for many many years - 70`s or 80`s...

I don't think these are being produced by C&J as a "local range" in SA, as they are just too hideous. Rather, as others have mentioned, C&J sold the use of their name in the 70's to a SA company to avoid bankruptcy. This SA company continues to make shoes using the C&J name, but are in no way affiliated with C&J Northampton.

CandJONLINE

Reaction score
Hi All,

Some of you are correct and clearly know your stuff, but just to clarify to those who are either new to C&J or don't know the ins-and-outs of this topic:

Any shoes on the South African market are produced under licence (by another company) for the local market and are only sold in South Africa. They are made in a South African factory and have entirely different styles and specifications (as a budding C&J customer might recognise) from Crockett & Jones shoes available throughout the rest of the world, which are all proudly made in our factory in Northampton, England.

This does indeed date back to the early 70's, and was a partnership until Crockett & Jones (along with much of the UK shoe trade) had financial difficulties which lead us to organising a licensing agreement to a South African factory to produce and sell within South Africa only. These are the shoes you sometimes see today.

They are very easily distinguishable as they are not able to use the modern day and worldwide known Crockett & Jones logo. Shoes on the South African market are still using our logo from the 70's along which material labels on the linings.

we often get asked about the quality or specification of these shoes as they occasionally appear on site like eBay, but we can comment on the quality or spec as the Crockett & Jones that you all know and love, no longer have any involvement with the South African factory.

It would be an easy option to criticise previous management for this decision, however we forget that in the 70's the Internet didn't exist and people were not privy to the huge amount of information that we are today. In hindsight, of course previous management wouldn't have wanted to sell the licensing, but in the face of serious financial difficulties and the possibility of Crockett & Jones in Northampton ceasing to exist, raising funds was clearly imperative. All being said, hindsight is a wonderful thing and one must praise them for keeping the business afloat when, sadly, so many didn't.

One thing we can be sure of, is that 4th generation family member Jonathan Jones our current Managing Director has brought Crockett & Jones successfully back to a very positive place in the market, producing very good shoes whilst still offering value for money. Today's challenges are different; they are one of leather sourcing, skilled labour and product quality, all aspects our management are constantly focusing on.

After all, manufacturing was never supposed to be easy!

If any member of the forum ever need to query a Crockett & Jones branded shoe, please do not hesitate to send us an email either via the forum or to [email protected]

Kindest regards,

James Fox
Crockett & Jones Online.

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi All,

Some of you are correct and clearly know your stuff, but just to clarify to those who are either new to C&J or don't know the ins-and-outs of this topic:

Any shoes on the South African market are produced under licence (by another company) for the local market and are only sold in South Africa. They are made in a South African factory and have entirely different styles and specifications (as a budding C&J customer might recognise) from Crockett & Jones shoes available throughout the rest of the world, which are all proudly made in our factory in Northampton, England.

This does indeed date back to the early 70's, and was a partnership until Crockett & Jones (along with much of the UK shoe trade) had financial difficulties which lead us to organising a licensing agreement to a South African factory to produce and sell within South Africa only. These are the shoes you sometimes see today.

They are very easily distinguishable as they are not able to use the modern day and worldwide known Crockett & Jones logo. Shoes on the South African market are still using our logo from the 70's along which material labels on the linings.

we often get asked about the quality or specification of these shoes as they occasionally appear on site like eBay, but we can comment on the quality or spec as the Crockett & Jones that you all know and love, no longer have any involvement with the South African factory.

It would be an easy option to criticise previous management for this decision, however we forget that in the 70's the Internet didn't exist and people were not privy to the huge amount of information that we are today. In hindsight, of course previous management wouldn't have wanted to sell the licensing, but in the face of serious financial difficulties and the possibility of Crockett & Jones in Northampton ceasing to exist, raising funds was clearly imperative. All being said, hindsight is a wonderful thing and one must praise them for keeping the business afloat when, sadly, so many didn't.

One thing we can be sure of, is that 4th generation family member Jonathan Jones our current Managing Director has brought Crockett & Jones successfully back to a very positive place in the market, producing very good shoes whilst still offering value for money. Today's challenges are different; they are one of leather sourcing, skilled labour and product quality, all aspects our management are constantly focusing on.

After all, manufacturing was never supposed to be easy!
If any member of the forum ever need to query a Crockett & Jones branded shoe, please do not hesitate to send us an email either via the forum or to [email protected] Kindest regards, James Fox Crockett & Jones Online.
Thanks for the clarification.

joeninety

Reaction score
anyone know when the next crockett and jones london sale is? seem to remember it was around this time last year...

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have the experience with their sale in London Stores?

Does the Oxford shoes like Connaught ever see the light of sale?

greasymonkey

Reaction score

anyone know when the next crockett and jones london sale is? seem to remember it was around this time last year...

Yep Connaught, Hallam and Edgware are usually in sales. It just depends on whether its in your size.

joeninety

Reaction score

Anyone have the experience with their sale in London Stores?

Does the Oxford shoes like Connaught ever see the light of sale?

as far as i remember its the benchgrade line that goes on sale, with few handgrade shoes. i remember someone saying the sale shoes were seconds but i dont think they were last year...

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Confirmed.

I just called their London store via phone. The Sir working there told me they will also have their SUBS on sale !? Discontinued models, too. I think he told me the discount % would be around 20-30%. Not much, but good enough If you find what you like.

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anybody confirm the RRL Wilberforce Longwing being made by C&J? Looks like last 335 .. Built like tanks with arch nails .. $750

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can anybody confirm the RRL Wilberforce Longwing being made by C&J? Looks like last 335 .. Built like tanks with arch nails .. $750

Cheaney I believe Chips. They are very nice, and if I was in the market for a calf wingtip would grab them (in a sale, not for cordovan prices). I actually saw a pair of the brown in my size at Woodbury Commons quite recently - think they were about $400. Didn't purchase for some reason.

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cheaney I believe Chips. They are very nice, and if I was in the market for a calf wingtip would grab them (in a sale, not for cordovan prices). I actually saw a pair of the brown in my size at Woodbury Commons quite recently - think they were about $400. Didn't purchase for some reason.

We should MTO this with C & J in Whiskey Hoit...

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads