1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Thanks...this is where I began, with a bit of confusion.

jssdc's shoes are, given their UK provenance, solidly 10US, UK9. So I'm assuming. Mine seem to be 0.25 inches shorter, and they fit me reasonably well (I'm a 9US in Carmina). So I would have thought that I have a 9US 348 as Barneys claims.

But then it's stamped 9/4 in footbed?

Anyway, if we gather some sizes and measurements, this might help others someday deal with Barney's crap sizing. I'll try to summarize the data when it's all in with a title for future posters/searches.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  2. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

A tip to my USA brethren: I live in the USA and order form C&J Jermyn Street regularly (by email/fax/phone). The customer service is great, their stock is unmatched, the pricing is reasonable, the shipping is fast (usually 2 days), and the sizing is consistent. I was in the shoe game for many a year by the time I realized this fact.

3. KPDarb

KPDarb Senior member

I know this has been rehashed to death and apologize in advance. Do you get hit with duties and fees or ask for a preferred method to avoid this?

4. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

@TweedyProf This has always been my assumption: that the size stamped on the insole is the size for the market for which the shoes are produced. In my experience, it also matches the size printed or handwritten on the lining.

I.e. I'm a US9D on the Brannock and have a pair of BB Peal punch caps on the 240 last size US9D stamped 9-4 on the insole and they fit me as well as my 348 last UK8E C&J Westbourne stamped 8-5.

Furthermore, I had previously confirmed with Mr Huqstable (Manager at C&J Jermyn St at the time) that C&J themselves quote a full size difference US/UK. So a US9D would in fact be a UK8E.

This, despite the conversion any given brand/retailer may use and advertise. Case in point: I have 2 pairs of PRL Tellman (no direct C&J equivalent) on the 337 and a pair of PRL Benton (= C&J Belgrave) on the 337, all US9D.

One of the Tellmans indicates US9D/UK8.5 on the box and I'm pretty sure that is what's written on the Benton box as well. Huqstable stated that if I wanted a C&J Belgrave in the same size as my US9D PRL Benton, I should order a UK8E.

Unfortunately, those 3 have full length sockliners, so can't confirm the insole stamps.

1 person likes this.
  5. TweedyProf

@Wes Bourne

Thanks. I feel like we're making some progress. Any chance of getting a measurement of your 8E UK 348s of the sole, heel to toe?

6. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

Sure, but it'll have to wait till tomorrow.

As an aside, while many go by EG's 1/2 size UK/US conversion, i.e. EG labelled 8.5/9E shoes for US9D feet, that doesn't work for me. I take 8/8.5E in EG 888 and 82 lasts. I did own a pair of 8.5/9D 888 shoes and sold them bc they were painfully narrow.

Fwiw, I once asked Hillary Freeman why EG only converts 1/2 size UK/US and she said that the British generally wear closer fitting shoes compared to Murricans who prefer them on the looser side.

7. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Whiskey Skye GMTO
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  8. GuP

GuP Senior member

Will next time.

So I drive in to NYC and am excited to visit CJ store. Come to find out CJ closes at 6PM!!!! What kind of retail establishment closes at 6PM?!?!?!? I guess I should have checked the website for store hours, but 6PM? You gotta be kidding me...

9. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

That's their hours in UK as well and no Sunday

10. Berners15

Berners15 Senior member

6pm sounds quite reasonable to me

11. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

These are looking really nice indeed! A work of art almost.

2 people like this.
  12. sevenfoldtieguy

wonderful

13. sevenfoldtieguy

In my experience, it has been hit and miss - sometimes yes, sometimes no.

14. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

Yep, just measured again and my UK9E Westbournes are 12 3/8" x 4 1/4". There's no footbed stamp on these but they were purchased in the UK and are UK sized, not a Barney's shoe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. TweedyProf

@Fred G. Unn

Cheers. I'll collate data since sizing has been such a problem.

16. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

selvedge8tweed PM'ed me about measurements and here's what I replied.

I measured with a cloth tape measure like Fred G.

1 person likes this.
  17. TweedyProf

Thanks @zippyh

More data I'll collate and put together in a post in a few days.

It's interesting that yours are longer than Fred's although perhaps that has to do with the dainite sole (about 0.5 inches)?

What's traditional wisdom: 1/8 inch per half size US?

18. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

I don't feel this is normal to me. I think most places in Manhattan are open till at least 7 or 8.

19. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

@TweedyProf : outsole measures 30.8cm heel to toe with a tailor tape = 12 1/8''.

1 person likes this.
  20. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

That and manufacturing tolerances, i.e. the outsole might have been trimmed closer to the upper on one pair of shoes compared to another same size/style pair. Hell, I'm sure there are variations between left/right shoe in the same pair.