1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. stevent

stevent Senior member

Yeah I went to airport 3 hours early to be safe, was in line for 2 hours. Only got ahead due to the fact that I was willing to accept euros over pounds. Definitely just going to take VAT off at store and ship next time. 8.5% is almost VAT refund fee charged anyways.

2. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Lol that vat line in heathrow can get out of hand. Would def try and get in there atleast an hour in advance to get the money back. I nearly missed my flight I did

(Flight ended up getting delayed, fell asleep in the terminal, woke up to see the plane departing the gate, vat money went toward overnight stay in a crummy hotel near heathrow :( )

3. shoelover

shoelover Senior member

About to buy my first pair of CJs. If I wear a 9e normally is that what I need or is there a 9F? Never bought British made shoes before.

4. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

Did you guys use the VAT line before or after security and what terminal were you in? I think last time I was there, I was flying American and I was able to use the the VAT office after security because I packed the shoes in my carry on. The one other time I didn't know about the VAT office after security and I ran all the way to terminal 2 from terminal 3 to take care of the VAT refund. I think they only asked to see the merchandise one time, so I'm 50/50 with whether or not they wanted to see it.

5. Berners15

Berners15 Senior member

Firstly if I may make so bold, they are English shoes not British.
    I have found that C&J are generous in width and length and it depends heavily on your feet and the last you are going for. I have 2 pairs of Belgrave (337 last) and Chelsea 3 on 238.
    238 seems slightly broader on me, the 337 seems as if it were made for me. In comparison my Church's Diplomat (pre prada) are a half size up to get room in the toe box.
    Incidentally C&J look much more elegant in the flesh and most pictures don't do them justice - suede Belgraves are just stunning dressed down with a pair of faded jeans IMHO.
    While I'm at it, is there a big difference between C&J main line and hand grade; well yep there really is. Polish a hand grade properly and you would be hard pressed to know the difference between them and Edward Green's normal lines. considering they are over £350 less in my opinion it's a no brainer.
    Well done all those at Crockett & Jones.

6. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

7. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Senior member

I didn't realize there was that large of a step up from C&J main line and handgrade and how they compare to EG. Will have to look closer at the C&J handgrade.

8. Berners15

Berners15 Senior member

To be fair I hadn't either. I really didn't want to travel to London to get my Gaziano and Girling 'dream pair' and was in a shop dropping off a repair and a pair of C&J Belgrave suedes started shouting at me. So I tried them on and bought a dark brown leather pair to keep them company too.
    On close inspection at home I was very happy with my choice. Perhaps it is better to buy the top of one range rather than the starting point in another.
    I had always thought of my C&J as my everyday shoes, but these I wil keep for special occasions.
    Was planning on getting a pair of Lowndes (double monks) but the difference in quality will mean I get Seymour2 unless I end up in London and Mr Gaziano and Girling start their pesky whispering again (ooo how I love the MH71 last)

3 people like this.
  9. jfo2010

jfo2010 Active Member

Did C&J ever make a Ladbroke Handgrade? I can't seem to find the name on the web. Thanks!

10. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Senior member

Anyone use flat shoelaces? If so, where did you buy them?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. Berners15

Berners15 Senior member

Just been looking at your collection of shoes and they are gorgeous!
    I must once again have had to redress my opinion of Lowndes as your dark brown pain definitely punch above their weight (if only my feet were a bit smaller, 10's can look a bit long on 348)
    Got to collect a repair this week, will I be able to resist. Bugger, will check my bank account and they can get me a pair in rather than the Seymour's - shame the Seymours don't have the toe cap.

12. Cleav

That's very kind of you to say, thank you.

I agree regarding the Lowndes, lot of shoe for the money :nodding:

13. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

^^ I've never understood why the Seymour doesn't have a cap toe either. I've always thought that DM/cap toe SM/plain toe were the classic combinations.

14. Webbo

Webbo Senior member

A pair of good quality English brogues is missing from my line up. I would like to go with C&J model as to date have not tried them. I am looking for a wideish fit and I know the Pembroke gets a lot of love here however I dont want a scotch grain. A plan dark tan or mahogany calf in a style similar to the Cheaney Arthur III would be my wish. Any suggestions from the C&J experts out there?

15. Cleav

Webbo, considered these?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not worn them for a while, I'll have to dig em out. Thanks :)

Clifford on 337

16. Webbo

Webbo Senior member

Wow. They look just the ticket, are they a wide last?

17. Cleav

Thanks Webbo

Well, I can wear a UK 7, 7.5 or 8 dependent on the last. These are a UK 8, regular E fitting and are very comfortable on the roomy end of the scale.

That being said we are all different so there is no substitute for trying a pair on, especially your first pair with any particular shoe maker and last. :D

It can be an expensive mistake.....

18. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

Not to mention fit is subjective to begin with. Definitely try then on if possible.

19. Jazzmenco

Jazzmenco Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Classic Marlows in shell cordovan, one of my faves!

2 people like this.
  20. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

Such a great shoe shouldn't the rl sale be coming up soon ?