• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have no doubt, these shoes are genuine, but I don't think they are of recent production. I would place them somewhere in the mid- late 90s. The leather (only judging by the pictures) looks to me very much like the leather Church's used to sell as "Genuine Cape Buck" which is an antelope leather with a shorter nap than the 'reversed calf' of today.

If the shoes are really made from this leather, than you've got yourself a pair of shoes in a superior material (presumably at a bargain price).

Last edited:

CTBrummie

Reaction score

I have no doubt, these shoes are genuine, but I don't think they are of recent production. I would place them somewhere in the mid- late 90s. The leather (only judging by the pictures) looks to me very much like the leather Church's used to sell as "Genuine Cape Buck" which is an antelope leather with a shorter nap than the 'reversed calf' of today.

If the shoes are really made from this leather, than you've got yourself a pair of shoes in a superior material (presumably at a bargain price).

I'd agree that they're genuine. I have a pair of the Church's 'Buck' oxford brogues and they're a damn fine pair of shoes, and only look better for their age...

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi guys. What do You think about these shoes: is it fake or not?

they have all the signs of being real...

Another vote for real. C&J makes for lots of different companies. It looks kind of like a suede version of this one, which C&J makes for another brand.
http://www.shipton-usa.com/mens-shoes/albemarle-chestnut-burnished-calf.html

treipok

Reaction score
Could anyone give me some advice?i own pembrokes in a 325 last, but i dont lnow if there are specific shoe trees for this last?can i use the "ordinary" CJ shoe trees for this shoes?thank you very much

jeffd

Reaction score
Word here is that the standard tree is in fact the 325.

That seems odd to me, however, since most of their models are in narrower lasts.

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

pretty decent price and shoes at shipton

They are! I have this one:
http://www.shipton-usa.com/mens-shoes/winchester-mens-black-calf-half-brogue.html
p-winc-blk-600.jpg

Soles are the same as benchgrade, leather quality of the uppers is not. Additionally the one I have is canvas lined at the front of the shoe, even though the site says "fully calf leather lined." C&J clearly has different levels of quality they can use for different manufacturers. That said, the S&H C&Js are certainly worth a look at that price.

Last edited:

CTBrummie

Reaction score
Nice to see you @CTBrummie hope you're well?

Love to see those proper Church's
nod[1].gif

A bit average at the moment, mate, getting over a bout of the flu right now! I'll try and gets some pics up this weekend...

They are! I have this one:
http://www.shipton-usa.com/mens-shoes/winchester-mens-black-calf-half-brogue.html
p-winc-blk-600.jpg

Soles are the same as benchgrade, leather quality of the uppers is not. Additionally the one I have is canvas lined at the front of the shoe, even though the site says "fully calf leather lined."
C&J clearly has different levels of quality they can use for different manufacturers. That said, the S&H C&Js are certainly worth a look at that price.

As do all the English shoe-makers. Cheaney seem to have been particularly prolific back in the day, I don't think they actually produced anything under their own name for quite some time.

Edward Green have produced at very different levels over the years, too. It's only relatively recently that they truly became consistently high-level. My tailor, who is 69, regards EG as something of an arriviste brand because of this!

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

A bit average at the moment, mate, getting over a bout of the flu right now! I'll try and gets some pics up this weekend...

Buddy, sorry to hear that, no stress - stand easy!

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That stamp you see on the bottom is just an older rendition of their stamp...

Gianni Cerutti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. What do You think about these shoes: is it fake or not?
I don't like the stamp on the sole (not seen this before) and quality stamp inside the boot.
Also I can't find a model in the C&J catalogue.

Beautiful. Beautiful model. Beautiful color.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads