1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. sleepyinsanfran

sleepyinsanfran Senior member

the Chelsea 5 (on the 335 last) is pretty chunky (and to me looks less contoured than even the islay)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  2. EastWestApparel

EastWestApparel Senior member

Thanks for the responses, they did send me pics but not great angles so hard tell. Coming from mostly wearing US work styled boots the 335 when tried felt like a ballet shoe, like a chunkier look with jeans etc... Thanks though. Will post if I get them made.

3. Carson

Carson Senior member

Gentlemen,

I am looking to pick up a Coniston soon, and I'm trying to dial-in the sizing. I wear an 8.5UK in the Islay on the 365 last. My Alden sizing is 9D in Barrie. Tricker's 8.5UK on 4497.

Thanks for the help

Sean

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  4. 68Bullitt

68Bullitt Well-Known Member

I wear the same size for both Islay and Coniston (12UK) and 12.D Alden Barrie.

1 person likes this.
  5. senorjon

senorjon Member

If you start the check out on UpperShoes it says in brackets besides the delivery cost (Tax incl.). I haven't used UpperShoes before but could this mean that they have prepaid the duties on their end? Anyone have experience with UpperShoes? Trying to decide between Robert Old and UpperShoes right now.

6. iPetronius

iPetronius Member

If you have a generous amount of room in the Islay, than you can take the same size. If it is on the snug side, than I suggest you might go with your barrie size. The coniston is a fine boot, which you will appreciate.

7. Stemo79

Stemo79 Senior member

:0

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  8. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

Why would anybody have a problem with any of this?

9. Stemo79

Stemo79 Senior member

:)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  10. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

Crockett and Jones is also a small business. They have an interest in protecting their brand position, same as EG, GG, etc. You've likely noticed a fair amount of consistency in the pricing of those brands as well, and for precisely the same reasons. If consumers become accustomed to near-permanent discount, and if the level of those discounts is controlled by third parties, then you've lost pricing power and control over your brand. Which for a high-end company means your screwed. C&J, at the low end of high end, is especially vulnerable to this.

That said, it's still perfectly easy to get C&J as less than full retail during periodic sales. I have seven pairs of C&J and three have been purchased this way.

Regarding your comparison with other brands, if you like Carmina's burnishing better then buy them. That's why your reference to "price fixing" above is misapplied. C&J can control their retail price levels using the practices you detailed but they cannot control the purchasing behaviour of consumers in a competitive marketplace. If they've priced too high then they'll find out.

For me, they have. I can't see myself buying another C&J or G&G not on sale given the increases of the past couple of years. I don't like Carmina so I won't be turning there but have recently started ordering Vass.

11. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

On that note, the BB corporate sale is on today for 30% off. You can get a discounted pair of C&J for BB from there.

12. iPetronius

iPetronius Member

Certainly Alden strongly controls pricing on their shoes/boots as well - you can hardly ever find them on sale and people go nuts for the factory seconds list that comes out rarely, so totally agreed. Makers like Alden and C&J are simply trying to protect their reputation and create some consistency in a culture that is obsessed with acquiring everything on sale (not that I wouldn't mind picking up some C&J or Alden on sale!)

13. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

in other news, today...

[​IMG]

x post apols

14. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

15. Allen Dreadmon

Allen Dreadmon Senior member

I agree with everything said here. Especially the fine boot part!

16. Cleav

Spot on, Alex they are :nodding:

17. Stemo79

Stemo79 Senior member

How long have you had them?

18. Cleav

I don't recall when exactly, a guess would be five or even ten plus years

Thanks for asking

19. Stemo79

Stemo79 Senior member

theyre looking well for that age! Is this through any particular cleaning routine, or have they had less wear through rotation?

20. Cleav

Both I suppose. My tumblr would reveal when they were last worn but I wouldn't recommend you trawl that as I can't be bothered to do so!

Someone could also check in Rock your socks..., thread which i see you have posted in.

Best

Cleav