1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yes, Bond definitely helps. Here is DC in Highburys. Maybe I just need the right trousers...

[​IMG]

2. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

Some C&J SAs claim that there's a difference between BG and HG shoes and I can't tell if there is or not and I own several pairs of each. That said, the closure does seem to have a significant impact on 348/58 fitting for me. Basically, I feel like non-oxfords feel like they fit larger. I don't know if this is true or just feeling, but this may be what you're experiencing with the portmans. Fwiw I also own this shoe (Portman 3) and every time I wear it I feel like it's too big for the first 15-20 minutes and then it's just fine.

Tweedy: I unfortunately do not own any Carmina so I cannot speak to your specific request. However I do own tetburys (in 8.5 UK) and I feel like the fit/creasing pattern may be similar to the highburys. In short, and as noted above in reference to the portmans, the non-Oxford closure in combination with the long last shape makes for a funny feel, at least at first. I would also expect a double-crease (not a technical term, but I don't know how else to say it) where one crease appears over the forefoot and the other where the bottom of the facings would be on an Oxford. Pity I didn't logon earlier today as I was wearing my tetburys this morning but switched shoes before goi to the airport, so missed the opportunity to use pictures to illustrate my point.

My .02 would be to lace them up at the end of the day (when your foot is at its largest), place a pencil across the forefoot and see where the crease is. Note that place and then line them up again with your Carminas. If they're at pretty similar places relative to the heel then you've got the same fit, and just need to determine if the aesthetics suit your taste. For me, I think highburys are lovely, and nearly jumped on your classified before reflecting on my unscheduled and unplanned audley purchase earlier this month and a pair of vass arriving this week and deciding that two shoe purchases per quarter is more than enough at this point.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. ChukkasOnHudson

ChukkasOnHudson Member

I would also be interested in this, if someone is heading out there. Please PM me. Cheers.

4. labravajazz

labravajazz Senior member

Yes, I recall trying on some shoes at CJ Burlington Arcade London and noticed this to be true and the assistant agreed that Handgrade generally are a little less tight. I found that I could fit into 10.5 E in handgrade models but some BG were a bit too tight. Maybe not 1/2 a size in it though? In most shoes I am closer to 10.75 I think.....FWIW

5. nigeljh

nigeljh Well-Known Member

Good afternoon/morning/evening...

I'm looking for a bit of advise please on my first pair of shell cordovan boots.

I've just got myself an pair of Harlech boots, much nicer I thought that the pair of Alden cap-toe colour #8 that I tried! However, I've noticed an issue on the top of one of the boots - a slightly rough, dry patch. Is that something I should be concerned with? Can I sort it with a spot of renovator / polish / bone? I bought mail order from Crockett & Jones so could swap without too much hassle, or take the 10% refund that they've offered.

Thoughts anyone?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Beach Bum

Beach Bum Senior member

I'd return them, or exchange I mean. Looks like it's showing on the outside as well and that would irritate me.

7. stevent

stevent Senior member

Nature of C&J shell, dryness is a huge hassle on RL marlows. I would probably exchange as well though no guarantee new pair is any better

8. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

9. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

1 person likes this.
  10. S K M

S K M Senior member

To be fair I don't think I would bother returning them, and I even guess my Harlechs would look a bit like that in some places. This is after all a spot that would usually be covered by your trousers. But DON'T use renovateur, but instead Saphirs cordovan cream that is much richer. I apply it once or twice a year at maximum, and the rest care I do with a brush and some water. Can't comment on the bone-trick since I have never used it.

Best,
    SKM

11. nigeljh

nigeljh Well-Known Member

Thanks - actually those two pics are of the same thing, just the second is close-up of the first

Thanks, yes I did wonder if I might hit the problem again, and I do particularly like the colour on these. Hmm....

Thanks, and thanks for the advice re renovateur, I thought I'd read that was ok and I do have some, but I ordered a jar of the cordovan cream yesterday anyway.

12. sleepyinsanfran

sleepyinsanfran Senior member

I got a pair and returned it the next morning. The insole/footbed seemed to be made of cheaper leather than other peals (including the same boots in suede).

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  13. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Thanks ddd.

14. edwod

edwod New Member

Some C&J SAs claim that there's a difference between BG and HG shoes and I can't tell if there is or not and I own several pairs of each. That said, the closure does seem to have a significant impact on 348/58 fitting for me. Basically, I feel like non-oxfords feel like they fit larger. I don't know if this is true or just feeling, but this may be what you're experiencing with the portmans. Fwiw I also own this shoe (Portman 3) and every time I wear it I feel like it's too big for the first 15-20 minutes and then it's just fine.

Thanks - agree the closure is likely to contribute. Being a half boot maybe a bit a play at the top is normal..

15. edwod

edwod New Member

Thanks.

16. squalidozzi

squalidozzi Well-Known Member

[Post deleted]

Whoops

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  17. SW1Y

SW1Y Well-Known Member

18. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

I have 358 and it definitely fits larger than 348 (at least width around toe). I cannot wear 348 on balmoral, toebox is too tight, though 348 in boots and chukka does work (Northcote and Tetbury)

19. MickeyPunch

MickeyPunch Senior member

Some might remember what happened to me a few pages ago when one of the sky hooks on my Islays came off the 3rd time I was wearing them.

Initially I was reluctant to send the boots for what I considered a minor issue which could be easily fixed by a cobbler (I was wrong), so I contacted C&J to get some hooks sent to me to be installed by my local cobbler. He did a terrible job (completely misaligned and applied way too much pressure) and also I noticed the new hook was silver instead of the original brown, so I decided to send the boots.

Today I've received them. They replaced the botched hook and the remaining brown ones and put silver ones instead. Boots look good now so happy with that. Most Islay pics I find online have silver hooks but mine were brown for some reason (got them from Robert Old), but to be honest I couldn't care less about the colour of the hooks as they both look good to me.

So pretty happy with C&J customer service, they've been very fast. Got the hooks in a couple of days (from UK to Spain) the first time and it's been roughtly a week since my boots arrived in the UK until I've got them back home today. I only paid for shipping costs to the UK (22 euro).

The only issue with C&J service: I sent the boots with the dust bags but I got them back in a shoe (not boot) box and without dust bags. I know I could ask for some but I don't really mind to be honest, all I wanted were my boots.

So thanks to C&J customer service (more especifically Sue H.).