1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. quine

quine Member

Hi everyone!

I don't post very often, but I lurk... and I've really become enamored of the Courtenay in antique burgundy. Unfortunately, they are difficult to find (and have been for the last several months). I believe they are carried by the C&J store in France, and I was hoping someone could help me figure out how to get a pair from them - they do not offer mail ordering. I live in the US, and the C&J store in New York has offered to charge me $1200 for the burgundy Courtenay as a "special order" item, even though they are currently being offered in my desired configuration in France (for well under $1000, including VAT).

So what do you do when you want some shoes from another country? Is a proxy the solution?

Thanks for any help or insight you might be able to offer!

2. greasymonkey

greasymonkey Senior member

Proxy is your safest bet if you can find someone trustworthy and you are happy with sizing unless you have plans of coming to Europe and catching a day return flight to paris and back. Even then no gurantees unless you have had the shoes put on 7day hold for sizing and collection. That colour is so appealing and i feel your desire for that shoe.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  3. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

It's not quite the same, but C&J makes a version of the Courtenay in burg for BB:
    http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Peal-Co.®-Perforated-Captoes/MH00447,default,pd.html

It's not the same handgrade specs, but it's an option if the color is close enough for you.

4. quine

quine Member

Thanks for the replies. How do people go about soliciting the help of a proxy?

Thank you for suggesting the BB shoes. I actually came across those recently (and may purchase them in black). However, I have some C&J in that same reddish brown and it's not quite red enough for their intended role.

5. mxgreen

mxgreen Senior member

6. laufer

laufer Senior member

No idea but what a nice catch? Judging by the generic box, those boots might have been made for a retailer.

7. BespokeKiwi

BespokeKiwi Senior member

@adebisi it appears to say "LECBURY". Let's see, two-eyelets (check), squarish chiseled toe (check), and sounds like "TETBURY" (check). Perhaps, we're looking at an early version or a special variation of the current 348 Tetbury boots. Also, the above boots are in sand colour and have desert soles, which makes them closer to real desert boot than the present Tetbury. Anyway, nice score -- especially if you intend them for hot climate/desert/beach use.

P.S. Welcome to the thread @Faster !

1 person likes this.
  8. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

great find was hoping for a size 12. you went tts?

9. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

Honestly did not know what a U cap longwing looked like. I liked the look of the profile of the shoe and was a possible buy, but then went to look at it from the top and realized what you meant. Totally don't like the u cap. I think I was thinking u throat.

10. Zach Britton

Zach Britton Member

All:

I am having trouble finding my proper size in CJ shoes and need some help. I bought a pair of 8.5D Peal and Co Medallion Captoes that are CJ but those are just too tight for me (they are made on the 240 last I believe). I am looking to buy a CJ shoe that is a 7.5E on the 348 last, and was wondering how the 348 last compared to the 240 last. I have plenty of room in the 8.5D in Peal and Co, but my foot is too wide and the leather squeezes my foot. I tried on 9D in Peal and Co but the shoe was too long. Do lasts really make that much of a difference width wise, or would you all recommend just getting a 7.5F? If you do recommend just going up a width and staying at the same size, are there any websites and/or forums where there are shoes in non-medium widths on sale/not retail price, as I am unable to spend to 600+, I am looking to spend more like half of that. A side note - Allen Edmonds shoes I find very uncomfortable as compared to Aldens and Peal and Co. The Aldens do fit my feet better but many of them are too bulky a shoe.

Thanks for all the help,

Zach

11. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

You can order from these guys I imagine: http://www.upper-shoes.com/lang-en/chaussures-luxe-hommes-crockett-and-jones/640-courtenay.html

Assuming that the listed price is VAT-inclusive then these are under $600 at current exchange rates.

1 person likes this.
  12. quine

quine Member

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  13. rexet

rexet Senior member

Yeah I pretty sure you can find a french retailer willing to send it to you in the US.

14. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

Also, Barney's carries the black and dark brown version. No burg though ...

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  15. stevent

stevent Senior member

[​IMG]
    C&J shell at London store

Russian Calf for New & Lingwood
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  16. NewYawker

NewYawker Senior member

Interesting - I did not know CJ carried that many shell colors. The burgundy looks great. Also, is the russian reindeer the leather pullled from the sunken ship? Looks pretty cool but dont know that I would go with a balmoral in that material. Boot would look awesome. Thanks for posting.

17. stevent

stevent Senior member

Yeah sunken ship leather. And would prefer a boot as well but believe those can only be done bespoke from Cleverley now

18. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

I assume you got one of each.

19. fabius

fabius Member

LECBURY? Looks like LEDBURY to me, which goes along with the usual theme of being named after places (a town in Herefordshire).