1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Von Franz

Von Franz Senior member

No problem. Glad you're enjoying them!

-VF

2. Beach Bum

Beach Bum Senior member

Alright, got home, opened up the box and fell in love at first sight (w/ the Islays). These shoes are gorgeous. They are also bigger than I would have guessed especially in the (voluminous) toe box.

I've included pictures and also have some questions for the experts (you guys). Basically, these shoes are big, about half inch bigger than my 13D Allen Edmonds Promontory Points. They are wide at the toe box, took me a bit to get used to. There's also a bit of slack especially when I turn my foot on its side, though I suppose this is normal not to mention I don't walk like this.

Having said that, apart from the toe box being large they fit good elsewhere. I can even go with thicker socks which I'd normally do when really cold and they fit good. Then even more extreme is my AE Promontory Points have orthotic inserts that I had to take out since otherwise they were too small. I can insert these into the Islays and with thick socks they actually become too snug.

Pictures show the shoes in general, show a comparison to the size 13 AE PPs, and also in one picture I'm pointing to where the tip of my big toe is.

What do you guys think? Are they potentially too big or is that the fit of this country boot last? Should I attempt to find a 12/11 pair instead of these 13/12s? I've tried on so many US 12's across numerous makers (Italian, US made, etc) and are basically all too small. But tonight is my first trying on Crockett & Jones shoes so maybe I am closer to a 12/11.

Thanks All.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. movoblast

movoblast Senior member

Dude those look so badass. I really wish they had my size. I would wear those with thicker boot socks since they weren't meant to be worn with dainty/thin dress socks.
    But if your gut is telling you that it is too big, it probably is.
    Happens to me pretty often. I'm so infatuated by the shoe that I try to convince myself that I could make it work.

1 person likes this.
  4. katch

katch Senior member

Put a thin insole in

5. NewYawker

NewYawker Senior member

Thanks nikola. I think I prefer the hand stitched toe on the alden version, and the ben silver price tag is kinda crazy. Decisions, decisions.

6. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

This. I either wear thick socks or a thin sock/insole combination most of the time with my Islays. The toe box really is voluminous.

7. Beach Bum

Beach Bum Senior member

Thanks all. I was wearing them around the house this morning before leaving for work with thick socks and they fit fine albeit slightly large in the toe box. I love the boots.

I bet 12/11 would be too small, while the 12.5/11.5 would probably be a better fit however I don't recall Paul Stuart having this size. I'll give them a call to inquire, otherwise I'm sticking with these. Doubt I'd find 12.5/11.5 anywhere near the price I paid.

Separate question, mine are labeled 13E on the inside. C&J only goes up to UK 12 in the Islays so doubt these are UK 13, and iirc labels their UK shoes with an E but I thought labeled their Barney shoes with the US size and a D. So I would have guessed it to say "13D." Can anyone else confirm they have the US size with an "E" next to it?

8. katch

katch Senior member

Again, if anyone got a 9E (10/9) and it doesn't work for them, please let me know..

9. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

10. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Thanks!

As an fyi, here are some of the prices from last summer's sale:

Brunswick - wingtip derby in Black Calf (Last 358) - $675 (from $825)
    Crawford - loafer in Black Calf (Last 363) - $585 (from $795 - sample)
    Elvaston - slip on in Black Calf (Last 358) - $645 (from $800)
    Lonsdale - cap toe oxford in Dark Brown Calf (Last 363) - $640 (from $795)
    Mitchell - single monkstrap in Tobacco Suede (Last 363) - $585 (from $845 - sample)
    Randolph - oxford in Black Calf (Last 358) - $660 (from $810)
    Rosemoor - oxford in Black Calf (Last 358) - $670 (from $820)
    Selbourne - cap toe oxford in Chestnut Antique Calf (Last 358) - $670 (from $820)
    Tavistock - austere wingtip in Black Calf (Last 337) - $585 (from $820 - sample)

Main Collection

Arden - punch cap toe in Mahogany Burnished Calf (Last 341) - $475 (from $595)
    Ashdown - plain derby in Burgundy Shell Cordovan (Last 341) - $695 (from $895)
    Chelsea 5 - chelsea boot in Black Calf (Last 335) - $490 (from $640)
    Dover 2 - oxford in Beige Calfskin (Last 348) - $490 (from $610)
    Finsbury 2 - wingtip oxford in Dark Brown Shell Cordovan (Last 341) - $715 (from $915)
    Grasmere - plain derby in Black Grain with Dainite rubber sole (Last 325) - $445 (from $600)
    Hardwick - derby in White Nubuck with red crepe sole (Last 341) $415 (from $570)
    Hartland - chukka boot is Charcoal Suede with single Dainite rubber sole (Last 359) - $390 (from $525)
    Poole - loafer in Black Suede (Last 366) - $450 (from $570)
    Sydney - loafer in Mahogany Calf (Last 341) - $475 (from $595)
    Wimborne - plain derby ion Espresso Suede (Last 341) - $485 (from $605)

11. MickeyPunch

MickeyPunch Senior member

Got the Islays from Robert Old, love them. I'm a true 41 according to most charts I've seen (my feet are exactly 26 centimeters long) although due to my feet being on the wide side sometimes I've had to size up to a 41.5 or 42. The size 7 in the Islays fit perfectly.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  12. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Mickey, well played. Love to see 'em :lurk:

13. Giannis

Giannis Senior member

Ah the Islay in never on sale. The price of almost 730 to get them is pretty hight.

14. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

Um, scroll up a bit. You just missed them for $428 at Paul Stuart.

15. Giannis

Giannis Senior member

Thanks, just saw that. It says email us for further details, althought with duties and taxes plus shipping costs it will end up there with C&J price.

Recently I saw a pair of Lanvin shoes at Barneys for just 199, but with taxes and duties BUT free delivery still came at about 340.

I dont get it why ordering from Europe to ship to america the shoes come minus the VAT, but when I try to buy from America the price is even bigger than the retail, and no VAT is being reduced. :(

16. razl

razl Senior member

I've been out-of-touch with SF for the past couple of weeks and missed it too. Have been on the fence between the Purdey model's last and the traditional Islay but would have jumped on these and not looked back at that price.

:brick:

17. laufer

laufer Senior member

These came from James Purdey yesterday, they indeed seem to be on 325 last which fits me well.

[​IMG]

They seem to have passed the first test because the box and paper was drenched in water or rain whichever it was, thes boots have gotten a little bit wet too. .
    It probably happened during the transport. @CTBrummie seems to be impressed by nu-buck leather. Any recommendations on caring for these?

2 people like this.
  18. Shouldaville

Shouldaville Senior member

8.5 US Cardigan back in stock. Highly recommend...

http://www.barneys.com/on/demandwar...oduct-Show?pid=503395781&cgid=BARNEYS&index=3

19. razl

razl Senior member