1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

Looks like an embossed calf but I haven't see that in their selections...at least not that I remember

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  2. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

perhaps but it looks too rough to be embossed. im guessing its a hardier leather from bull, elk, elephant, manpigbear, etc

you in italy? love your bestettis! let me know when you get sick of them :happy:

2 people like this.
  3. Beane

Beane Senior member

The burgundy hallam looks great

4. Beane

Beane Senior member

Thanks, for the creases I was talking about the nubuck model. The Tetbury suede donĀ“t have that problem.

5. meister

meister Senior member

It is some hard wearing cow based leather. These were very popular in Australia in the 70s and 80s. Meant to be worn with tweeds and that British/Scottish rustic look then so contemporary and on the way back according to SF.

6. jjviegas

jjviegas Member

Here's my Westfield fully detailed:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
    7 people like this.
  7. jjviegas

jjviegas Member

And my new Lowndes:

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  8. meister

meister Senior member

9. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

Wow, quite an impressive first 2 posts! Welcome to SF!

10. jjviegas

jjviegas Member

Thank you for the welcome Fred! I'm more about reading than writing, anyway I'll try to post more.

1 person likes this.
  11. matsuito

matsuito Member

Hi,
    I got my Conniston since 9 months and for the first time I wear them during 15 min under heavy rain....and back home I discovered that the interior lining was wet !

Is it normal? Is the Conniston considered as a waterproof boot or not?

Which model of C&J is truly waterproof according to your experience?

12. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

nah they're not that water proof, last time i was in a flood of about half a foot of water, and i definitely got really wet. never would of happened if i had goretex hiking boots, so i decided not to wear the connistons when doing a 12 mile hike again!

13. mebiuspower

mebiuspower Senior member

Unless they have gortex lining no boots are truly waterproof.

14. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

Your shoes will be fine. Put shoe trees in them and let them sit for a few days to dry.

Do not place them near a heat source to help dry as this can ruin the leather.

Once they are dry brush them and they will be as good as new.

15. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

Should I expect to experience the wet interior lining with Snowdon if worn during heavy rain and snow? As I understood it's the Veldtschoen construction, connoting it's waterproof. But would like to hear a first hand thoughts.

I need a hardcore winter boot, more than a fancy looking and I have a feeling Coniston is more of a autumn and early winter type of boot.

This photo made me fall in love for Snowdon.

[​IMG]

16. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

mate they will be water resistant to some extent, but no boots can be entirely waterproof unless they're proper goretex/equivalent.

Try filling up your sink and putting your snowdens in the sink, and im sure after a while the water will seep through.

17. MDeKelver

MDeKelver Senior member

Walking to the bus in a foot of slush and snow (as of today, this is my life until the end of March) just get a pair of Sorel Caribou boots and carry your shoes in a bag.

18. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

I have taken these through snow storms and 6 inches of water in fields and have not had a single issue.

1 person likes this.
  19. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Senior member

I've waded through marshes in veldt boots and had no issue. The only caveat I'd have is that all modern veldt boots only have half-bellows tongues which limits the depth to which your feet can be submerged - water can seep around the sides of the tongue if it splashes around. Older models, such as Lotus or Tricker's veldts (back from when they actually made them) have full bellows tongues which make them much meaner beasts. Lotus used to advertise their boots as 'guaranteed waterproof' and Cordings of Piccadilly had a pair on display in a tank of water for many years.

1 person likes this.
  20. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

Thank You very much PCK1 and CTBr.

The military influenced shape of the vamp, which has the 'moustache' shape made these boots handsome in my book. The lines are clean&simple and I find a lot of places where I can rest my eye ..

They somehow remind me of a much expensive EG Galway but are reasonably priced at 475 GBP and are cheaper more than double. The Commando sole looks really solid too. I feel they will give me a lot of fun this winter in a snowy covered field.