1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Sweden

Sweden Senior member

Going to buy some shoe trees tomorrow, is there specific trees for the different shoe models or do they fit all?

2. Crat

Crat Senior member

From what I gather the luxury shoe trees are lasted for 348/358 shoes. The classic trees are an all-round fit that can be used on all models.

3. Sweden

Sweden Senior member

Thank you for that info! :)

4. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

Hi, looking for a little help on determining the actual color. Anyway to break down the numbers? Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

^ They look like the C&J for RL Marlow PTB's to me. Dark brown cordovan.

6. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

^^ gorgeous color!! Wow, are my brown Harlechs going to patina like that? Better start wearing them some more.

7. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Hey guys, I'm looking for some help switching over to CJ shoes and finding the right last/fitting.

I have a pair of Suede Monkton in E which are a bit narrow, but it's okay for me as I don't usually wear them for long periods anyway. I usually wear Loake shoes, and I've found the most comfort in their narrower G and their wider F, so presumably I am somewhere in between. http://www.pediwear.co.uk/newsitem/60.php The best fitting last for me is the 026F and 026G. Hard to say which is better as both are good but the former was a chukka and the latter was a chelsea.

Am I correct that essentially for CJ E = Loake F, and F = G? I was going to try get a pair of G Monkton but I hear that's their extra wide fit, and perhaps I'm better suited with an F? Is there a guide for CJ lasts and fits for me to use? Tried to look up but can't find anything thorough. Thanks.

8. mxgreen

mxgreen Senior member

I believe that C&J calls that color, "dark cognac."

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  9. Disco Volante

Disco Volante Senior member

The color on those is incredible!

1 person likes this.
  10. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

Question - do any of you own Wicklows or Wexfords? My Barneys version of the Wicklows are starting to look like they could use some conditioning but I'm not really sure how to condition the "robust oiled-hide leather," as C&J calls it. I emailed C&J, but I'm just curious if anyone has a maintenance routine for that type of leather.

11. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Got these out today

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  12. Giannis

Giannis Senior member

13. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  14. BespokeKiwi

BespokeKiwi Senior member

It's a wet and wild spring day down under in Auckland, New Zealand. I've taken the afternoon off to run some personal errands and to enjoy the fresh air. Just changed into my Tetbury boots to battle the elements. Unfortunately, no "Nano" (tip of hat to Cleav for intro) on hand yet to keep any heavy rain out. I'm off to Gemmels first -- the best cobblers in town -- to have SOS topy applied to leather soles and heels of recent C&J purchases (Barrington 2 & down sized Miltons). Enjoy your day, gents.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  15. Hirsh

Hirsh Senior member

Better off without them

My Crocketts killed my feet and I chucked them

Now I save up and buy bespoke G and G or St.James Lobb, I'm vat exempt as I'm registered as permanently disabled...

16. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

We know...you spammed this in every fucking shoe thread on the forum.

Please stop NOW.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
    6 people like this.
  17. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

18. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

I like C&J HG even though they don't get a lot of love on SF. Much better (IMO) than BG and still way cheaper than EG/G&G (esp. with recent price increases by the latter). So EUR 395 seems like a pretty good deal if you like black wingtips (unfortunately I do not).

Looking at their site they also offer the Repton (handgrade Lowndes) which I haven't seen aside from at Ben Silver a while ago.

19. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

HG leather is excellent compared to BG. I think what limits C&J is the colors for HG. I would definitely stick with C&J if the heel cup was made higher.

20. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

395 Euro is an absolute steal for any HG model.