1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. PCK1

PCK1 Well-Known Member

@BespokeKiwi

In response to the questions you posed regarding your collection.

1. You have enough chukkas. You need to diversify in boots. Several options you may want to consider that can serve as both city/country boots - Harlech, Northcote and Chelsea. You could also opt for a very dressy city boot the Somerville. If you are hell-bent on ordering more chukkas...I would opt for an MTO handgrade antique brown Tetbury with a medallion on the toe.

2. Oxfords - you could use a pair in suede - perhaps a Hallam in Espresso Suede which is extremely CBD...or something a little lighter and still very dressy such as a Westfield in Tobacco suede.

3. I would opt for a cap-toe oxford over a whole-cut. I think they are more versatile...and this is my opinion. C&J has numerous options here, the Connaught I believe being the most traditional in black on the 236 last...if you are looking for something more modern there are several others on various lasts such as the Belgrave on the 337 (still pretty traditional), the Hallam in black on the 348 or the Lonsdale in black on the 363...both of these being more modern. If you want a wholecut you have the Alex on the 348 or the Weymouth (handgrade) on the 337...there is also the Wembley which is a plainfront oxford on the 360.

4. My favorite of the C&J Loafers is the Teign - an unlined loafer in dark brown suede. I highly recommend this one and I know many other C&J afficionados will vouch for this model.

5. You could use a full brogue or semi-brogue dress shoe...i.e., the Clifford....this is one I would consider doing as an MTO and maybe in a hangrade leather option.

6. You need at least one monkstrap. I would recommend the Savile (handgrade) as the best CBD option. The monkton in chestnut is also very nice. Lowndes is their best double monk option if you prefer double monk to single monk.

7. You need at least one pair of truly country shoes...maybe the Islay or the Skye/Skye2...or the pembroke...or even the Marlow made by C&J for Ralph Lauren...

8. You need something other than plain calf....such as a grain leather shoe...good for rain/snow/fall/winter....this could be an oxford MTO...the Monkton and Lowndes both are offered in grain leather with dainite rubber soles for the Autumn/Winter seasons too....

just some general observations...you obv don't need all of these shoes...but i hope my suggestions open you up to many of the great options C&J offers

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  2. BespokeKiwi

BespokeKiwi Well-Known Member

@PCK1
    - Thanks for your detailed suggestions above, which I appreciate.
    - Like @Cleav , I think you've also got the measure of me. Once again, your advice identified many options that I had been actively considering too. Plus, some interesting new ones that I had not previously considered. You've given me much to think about.
    - See my responses below, arranged using your earlier numbering scheme.
    - Thanks for shaking me out of my footwear "comfort zone". Yes sir, a good kick in the butt from your foot -- appropriately glad in a C&J Snowden or Islay boot, no less -- is just what I needed.

BK

--

1. Boots. As a former military man, I'm no stranger to calf boots. However, I've never worn them in civilian life, except for warm weather/tropical trekking. Where my old military jungle boots continue to serve me well. If I lived in a very cold urban or high country environment, then I definitely would invest in C&J calf boots, along the lines you suggest. Although its not clear in my earlier collection photo, I already own a pair of 348 Tetbury in antique dark brown (not black), top left refers. So, for the time being, I will actively consider your Chelsea and Cleav's 348 Tetbury in black suede suggestions. However, I note your point about already having enough Chukkas. Got it.

2. Oxfords. Agreed.

3. Semi-formal Dress/DJ Shoe. Agreed. Presently, I prefer a plain capped toe Oxford over whole cut for my dressiest black shoes, despite the later being considered more formal. The plain capped toe Oxford can pull double duty as CBD and semi-formal DJ shoe, at a stretch.

4. Loafers. Spending as much time as I do in tropical South East Asia, loafers are an obvious choice. (Note to self, you need more than one pair). Obviously, they complement summer/tropical ensembles well and are practical for the Asian cultural norm of removing ones shoes indoors. Unlined 341 Teign is a new option for me and I will take it seriously given your strong recommendation. I see its an unlined version of the 341 Sydney, which is already on my short list. So, right on, I'm warm to this option already.

5. Full Brogue. Agreed. 337 Clifford or 348 Gilford it is, especially as I prefer medallions over blinds.

6. Monks. Crikey, it's like "the charge of the monk (light) brigade" around here at SF. OK, got it. So, I expect to go for single strap 348 Monkton or similar, as a monk newbie. Then, as I gradually warm to monks -- one strap at a time -- I will try two straps. Sounds like BDSM?

7. Country Shoes. Agreed. Will try to channel younger self's love for military style calf boots. 365 Islay here I come. Also, please recall that I do have non C&J brand country shoes already. In the form of third party Australian brand (Trenery/Country Road) "Chukkas" (similar to C&J Brecons) in black and dark brown calf leather with double leather soles, which I've had Vibram commando tread applied to. Obviously, I'm a self confessed Chukka addict, "with enough Chukkas" already.

8. More Grain/Country Shoes. Agreed. Will consider 325 Pembroke in scotch grain leather or similar Oxford MTO.

Thanks!

Edit: Typos corrected.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  3. bustert

bustert Well-Known Member

Has anyone from the U.S. ordered from Pediwear? And did you have to pay duty/tax upon delivery? If so, how does that work? Did you get a notice to pick up your parcel at USPS and then have to pay the charge there? Or something similar? Much appreciated.

4. bustert

Also, how is duty calculated? In other words, for a $500 USD shoe, what should I expect to pay approximately?

5. PCK1

PCK1 Well-Known Member

@BespokeKiwi

Just a note on the Tetbury....your Tetbury is in the Dark Brown Waxed Calf which is a very dark brown and a very thick heavy leather.

My recommendation for a handgrade antiqued brown MTO would give you a very different looking boot...the antiqued brown is a much lighter brown that is burnished to give it some patina/antiquing.

Nonetheless, you should check out the other boot options.

The Harlech is a styleforum favorite in dark brown cordovan....the Northcote comes in a brown calf with leather sole and a dark brown waxed calf with dainite sole...and the Somerville is a classic Balmoral boot in black calf with a black suede shaft....

the C&J MTO program is pretty good and you can make some design modifications...I have used it a few times...all with good results.

My Monktons in burnished chestnut are one of my oldest and favorite pair of C&J...I think once you have a pair you will be converted.

Good luck in your endeavor!

6. BespokeKiwi

BespokeKiwi Well-Known Member

@PCK1

- Yes, you're quite right about my dark brown Tetbury being waxed calf not antique. Duh! A C&J newbie mistake on my part.
    - Thanks for the Tetbury handgrade antique brown MTO suggestion, I will consider it. If I do act on your suggestion, then it will be the high water mark and be "piece de resistance" on my present Chukka boot addiction. [​IMG]
    - Thanks for the Harlech and Northcote boot suggestions. However, my Scottish ancestry has been stirred and either the Islay or Skye are calling me.
    - I will add your favourite burnished chestnut -- along with dark brown suede -- to consider for my Monktons.
    - I will keep you posted with my progress in the months to come.
    - Again, thanks for taking the time to make suggestions based on long experience, which I appreciate.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  7. Disco Volante

Disco Volante Well-Known Member

Today seemed like a good fall day for the Islay.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

I have purchased there a few times. They use the US postal system for final delivery. I have never been hit with duties.

9. bustert

So you have only had to pay the quoted price? Nothing in addition? VAT would not be included I presume. Stupid question I guess but I am skeptical, as I have not ordered from overseas before. Thanks for your information.

10. sevenfoldtieguy

VAT is subtracted at checkout (and the discounted price is what I paid). Shipping for C&J's is free. You might have a foreign transaction fee from your Credit Card ($20 or so).

11. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

Pediwear doesn't always use postal service so when ordering, be sure to specifically request it.
    Got a nasty surprise when they used UPS once.

@bustert there's a whole thread devoted to customs and duty charges in the SW&D forum I think.
    Basically, for shoes, duty will be about 8.5% plus possible brokerage fee of around $25 depending upon courier and service.
    DHL and Fedex will bill after delivery. UPS and USPS collect at delivery.
    USPS there's no brokerage fee and chances of getting hit with any charges are very low.

12. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Well-Known Member

^^^

Can't wait for the surprise on my way. I ordered a pair of Islays from Robert Old and just got the notice they are coming via UPS.

13. bustert

Thanks a ton!

14. tangshee

tangshee Well-Known Member

this is something

15. sevenfoldtieguy

That is interesting. And good to know.

My orders from there - 3, I think - have all come by way of USPS and I have never requested it. But moving forward I will. :D

16. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

Today

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  17. DavidLane

DavidLane Well-Known Member

I will be adding to my collection once again, this time with a pair of Tetbury's in Brown Suede for this fall. Paid full RRP but if my past experiences serve me the same, I will be happy with my purchase. I have no patience to speak of as well.

I would love to see some images of folks who own these already, as it is my understanding they are a fairly common piece for C&J aficionado.

Image taken from SF...

Best,

DL-
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. nothingoli

nothingoli Well-Known Member

19. budapest12

budapest12 Well-Known Member

Look to be legit made for Oxxford Clothes - a company that does not cut corners on quality (they suit presidents). Not sure if truly hand grade but would think so. Seller looks very reputable.

20. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

^ beautiful model