Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Carson

Carson Senior member

Yes, it did. The fit is good.

So, for me at least, I wear a 9D in an Alden Barrie; an 8.5UK in the C&J Islay; and an 8.5UK in Tricker's 4497.

Good luck in Paris!

2. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

I think the Conistons will go perfectly with chinos or denim, especially dark denim. My Conistons are from Barneys so they're not the tan scotch grain, but I can't imagine that C&J scotch grain is flimsy or light. I'd wait for CTBrummie or one of the other C&J experts to respond regarding the hardiness of the C&J scotchgrain leather.

3. lagsun

lagsun Senior member

Thanks.

4. LaymanX

LaymanX Senior member

Ah good enough. Ordering now.

5. pennzi12

pennzi12 Active Member

Not pix of mine but they certainly sold the Coniston for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. LaymanX

LaymanX Senior member

Thanks, ordered!

I normally wear size 10D in AE shoes, 10D in Alden Plaza last, 9.5 in Barrie last and 10D in whatever last the RL Marlow Wingtip is in.

British Sporting Arms advised I take the Coniston in 9.5E UK sizing so here's hoping it's a good fit.

7. missusjuiceman

missusjuiceman Member

The Coniston leather (same as my Barnwells) is no slouch, and you won't regret it. I've been wearing mine as my primary winter boot (with dark denim--it looks fine) and they have had no issues in snow, salt, or slush. The waxy calf can stand up to a lot!

8. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Interesting. I'm a 7.5D in Barrie and I have C&J Harlechs (341 last) and Conistons (325 last), all in 7E UK. Feet are different so you might be fine.

9. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

I've got a pair of dark brown Brooks Bros Black Fleece Coniston look alikes in scotch grain.
    I've also got C&J Pembrokes and RL Lindricks in tan scotch grain.
    The dark brown does feel a bit thinner with a slightly plastic feel to it as compared to the tan.

10. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

I don't have boots in dark brown grain but I have the monkton and the lowndes in dark brown golf grain. they are pretty sturdy. and clean up very well.

The thing with grain leather is it stretches on the points where it is pulled over the last and loses its grain quality...seems to happen less on boots though and more on extreme lasts like mine on the 348.

not sure if this is any others experience...but should be taken into consideration with grain leathers.

11. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Senior member

Yeah, they go fine with chinos or denim - even more so if worn without a mirror shine. IMHO not many people at all can pull off the contrast between shiny calf and matte cotton (Crat being one of the very select few) and people will be aware of something not quite being right with the combination, even if they can't quite work out why...

They're the BBBF boots that flooded the forum a year or so ago?

I think I said at the time that the quality of leather on those looked to be lower grade even from the pics - they looked pretty lifeless when box fresh. The dark brown used on the Islay is soft but relatively hard-wearing, and mine has lightened noticeably over the couple of years that I've been wearing mine.

The grain seems to smooth out over time, too. My Conistons are have very little visible surface pattern to them now.

12. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

Its because where the leather is pulled over the last and stretched it stretches the leather out causing it to lose its the grain texture that was embossed into the leather.

As you wear it more it pulls more over those areas (heel and toe) and it loses it in those places.

13. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Yep, those are the ones.
    I've got a pair of dark brown scotch grain Tricker's Burfords and that leather also seems to be thinner with somewhat plastic feel.

The BBBFs look a lot better after a little cream but they do have a bit of sheen to them.

14. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

With the next Brooks Brother corporate sale looming (sometime in March).

Can somebody do a comparison between bench grade and hand grade CJ vs BB Peals.

I read that BB Peal quiality is somewhere between the bench grade and hand grade line but futher comments are appreciated.

15. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Most of the C&J made Peals are benchgrade quality. But not all Peal shoes are from C&J. Some are made by Loake and Alden.