• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Carson

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a pair of Islay's too. Any idea how the Alden Barrie last compares to the 365? I'm an US 8D. The C&J website says the Paris stores carry the Islay so I hope I can try them when I'm there at the end of month.
Well, I wear a 9.5D in most US shoes (that's how I measure) and a 9D in the barrie last from Alden, and based on what people are telling me, I am going to go with an 8.5UK in the C&J Islay, therefore, it appears that perhaps a half size down from your Alden barrie sizing...

Farhad19620

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Islay boots took some beating today! But they are back in order with some TLC as soon as I got back home

Last edited:

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, I wear a 9.5D in most US shoes (that's how I measure) and a 9D in the barrie last from Alden, and based on what people are telling me, I am going to go with an 8.5UK in the C&J Islay, therefore, it appears that perhaps a half size down from your Alden barrie sizing...
Exactly the same experience with me

eddiemczee

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm going to be making my first C&J purchase next week - a pair of the Islay boots.

I was hoping to glean some sizing wisdom from the forum re: the 365 last, as I am going to be importing them from England and don't want to have to ship them back if I can help it.

In general I tend to size up as a 9.5D US - I wear a 8.5UK in a Tricker's 4497 and an 8UK in a 4444. In general would probably size at 8.5UK I would guess.

Is there anything unusual about the 365 last the Islay is built on? Does 8.5UK seem reasonable?

Thanks in advance
I think 8.5 UK should be fine. The 365 last is fairly generous. I wear a size 8D US and went with 7.0 UK and the boot fits well and still has a little room available (good if I want to wear thicker socks).

eddiemczee

Reaction score
A while ago, I found a link (I think in this thread) to a Japanese website that had a bunch photo galleries for Crockett & Jones shoes that showcased each shoe from a wide variety of angles. However, I can't seem to remember what the site was and can't find the link anywhere. Anyway one have any idea what I'm talking about?

lagsun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No idea, I don't do American footwear, sorry!.

You might do well to call the Paris shop in advance and see if they can get your size(s) in, in advance; even the Crockett's shops are struggling sometimes with the demand for that boot!

Well, I wear a 9.5D in most US shoes (that's how I measure) and a 9D in the barrie last from Alden, and based on what people are telling me, I am going to go with an 8.5UK in the C&J Islay, therefore, it appears that perhaps a half size down from your Alden barrie sizing...

I think 8.5 UK should be fine. The 365 last is fairly generous. I wear a size 8D US and went with 7.0 UK and the boot fits well and still has a little room available (good if I want to wear thicker socks). 

I guess I need to try both the UK 7 and 7.5 when I'm Paris. They currently have one of each but it's still more than a couple of weeks before I leave.

azumi

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm going to be making my first C&J purchase next week - a pair of the Islay boots.

I was hoping to glean some sizing wisdom from the forum re: the 365 last, as I am going to be importing them from England and don't want to have to ship them back if I can help it.

In general I tend to size up as a 9.5D US - I wear a 8.5UK in a Tricker's 4497 and an 8UK in a 4444. In general would probably size at 8.5UK I would guess.

Is there anything unusual about the 365 last the Islay is built on? Does 8.5UK seem reasonable?

Thanks in advance
I think the Islay is a derby pattern and have laces, so you could size down a size. That is to say, 8.5 UK would be fine for you.

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What last is that 348?

EDIT: I think its 358

I took a risk and bought them. It's generally my size.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads