• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had a lot of experience with dainite soles in snowy icy weather and I think they do great. They definitely give good traction. Now granted if you are walking on a patch of solid ice it's still gonna be very slippery, but the dainites do a good job. I think they do a pretty solid job of protecting the shoe from bad weather too, as opposed to leather soles.

That being said, I think commando soles are better than dainite. And, if your boots have it, the veldtschoen construction is far superior.

With my dainite soled shoes I still have to be careful walking around and to keep the shoes clean. With my C&J snowdon boot I trek right through anything whether it be snow, puddles, mud, etc. I took them out clay shooting the other day in the rain and mud and my feet were dry and the shoes were unscathed. I knocked the mud out wiped them off and gave them a good brushing and they are good as new!

EngProf

Reaction score
Chukkas with Dainite today as the snow came down in the Midwest. Great outside. I very nearly broke ****** on a terrazzo bathroom floor once I came indoors. YMMV.

jssdc

Reaction score
So today wins the prize for ugliest NYC commute. Snow overnight turning to freezing rain, slush, and massive partially frozen puddles. Tetbury's however, performed like champs and my feet are dry after a ~1 mile walk to the office.

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ badass!

tetbury's are on of my favorites for bad weather.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just wanted to report that my new Lowndes braved the snow and ice and salt and melt and slush and are unscathed! All hail the dainite sole!

People say that Dainite studded soles are awful in the snow and rain, but I've had nothing but good experiences with them. Those Dainite soles have gotten me through some awful winters.

+1

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't find the info anywhere, and for some reason my "search this thread" function isn't working on Firefox... Can someone please supply me with the C&J factory shop phone number. I realize they aren't open until Friday. Cheers!

aldenfan

Reaction score
Does C&J make or do MTO additional widths for their sizes? For example, the tetbury looks really narrow. Would it be possible to get an EE width instead of the E listed on their website? Is it possible to do additional widths as you can with Allen Edmonds?

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does C&J make or do MTO additional widths for their sizes? For example, the tetbury looks really narrow. Would it be possible to get an EE width instead of the E listed on their website? Is it possible to do additional widths as you can with Allen Edmonds?

Wouldn't they call that an 'F'?

aldenfan

Reaction score
Wouldn't they call that an 'F'?
Oh yeah, I'm sorry. I mean like the next wider width. I guess they go E to F to G? Is it possible to get something like the Tetbury in an F width? Either by ordering or MTO?

rc121

Reaction score
I'm wondering the same thing, a G width would be great, but I could probably work an F width in some lasts

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads