• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So my wife just called and said the shoes I ordered from C&J England carried a $49 tax. She had to pay UPS. Wondering if there is a way to avoid this in the future. I have other makeups coming from UK soon. This looks like a VAT charge to me but I have not seen the actual documents. Either way I have some new shell awaiting me when I get home tonight.

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you got hit with duties. There is no way to avoid this, unfortunately. It may not happen every time though.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is no way to avoid duties entirely, but specifying shipment by registered post (versus a courier) minimizes your chances of getting dinged. In my experience, couriers almost always collect duties on behalf of the import country, and among these, UPS and DHL are the worst for getting the duties calculation massively wrong - then adding some extra brokerage fee salt to that wound.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So my wife just called and said the shoes I ordered from C&J England carried a $49 tax.  She had to pay UPS.  Wondering if there is a way to avoid this in the future.  I have other makeups coming from UK soon.  This looks like a VAT charge to me but I have not seen the actual documents.  Either way I have some new shell awaiting me when I get home tonight.

It really a hit or miss situation with the import tax and handling fee. Royal Mail/USPS appears to have fewer incidents (anecdotal evidence). Other carriers tend to have "handling fees" or something to that effect that are SIGNIFICANTLY higher than the actual tax. The latter, from my experience, is really what hikes up the costs.

Technically there is a tax on imported goods dependening on the items. This is pretty much like sales tax and I just accept it.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So my wife just called and said the shoes I ordered from C&J England carried a $49 tax. She had to pay UPS. Wondering if there is a way to avoid this in the future. I have other makeups coming from UK soon. This looks like a VAT charge to me but I have not seen the actual documents. Either way I have some new shell awaiting me when I get home tonight.

I had 3 pairs shipped from one of the shops on Jermyn St late last year. They were shipped ParcelForce in the UK, then transferred to the USPS for delivery here and I paid no duties/fees. As others have said, UPS, DHL, sometimes FedEx, almost always collect duty and fees. From anecdotal info, and my one experience, your chances of escaping these fees increase if you request C&J to use ParcelForce.

roadway

Reaction score
Part of today's Great British Railway Journeys on the BBC went to Northampton, there is a short piece about the Crockett & Jones factory. It is on the BBC iplayer in the UK for 3 weeks.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So my wife just called and said the shoes I ordered from C&J England carried a $49 tax.  She had to pay UPS.  Wondering if there is a way to avoid this in the future.  I have other makeups coming from UK soon.  This looks like a VAT charge to me but I have not seen the actual documents.  Either way I have some new shell awaiting me when I get home tonight.

So what is in the box? :)

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So what is in the box? :)

Not what you want to hear this time of the year .. Summer will be here before you know it.. Unlined Harvard ..
easy on the feet... at least in my current situation .. Blessing really..

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
C&J Belgrave Hand grades.

They are that lovely vintage red brown colour so I just use Colonill burgundy crème on them to enhance the red.

embromides

Reaction score
Not what you want to hear this time of the year .. Summer will be here before you know it.. Unlined Harvard ..
easy on the feet... at least in my current situation .. Blessing really..

Ah, the summer......

I would be very interested to hear you opinions on your new cordovan Harvards. I ordered the cordovan Henley some time back. They had double leather soles and consequently were so heavy to wear as a summer shoe I had to return them. They were in burgundy, perfectly matched and beautifully made. I"m wondering if I should opt for the Harvard in its place....

I imagine your Harvards are light in weight? Is the sizing true, considering it is unlined? A review of them would be very helpful to myself and, I suspect, other forumites.

Farhad19620

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OMG! these Islay boots are really nice and well made, the best part is they fit me very well. I may have to keep them LOL
Picturers to follow later.I have also recorded the program from ITV 2 yesterday to watch later!

I was debating between these and the EG Auderley boots but these fit my purpose better plus you cannot find any on E-bay LOL

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

if any of you have ways of accessing bbc iPlayer content there was a segment on the c&j factory on this programme

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...ay_Journeys_Series_5_Northampton_to_Nuneaton/

Sadly available in UK only. Is there a way around it for us in the States? You Brits get all the cool stuff :)

OMG! these Islay boots are really nice and well made, the best part is they fit me very well. I may have to keep them LOL
Picturers to follow later.I have also recorded the program from ITV 2 yesterday to watch later!

I was debating between these and the EG Auderley boots but these fit my purpose better plus you cannot find any on E-bay LOL

Congrats on the Islays. I've been wearing mine several days a week since purchase before Xmas. Most of my shoes & boots are worn once a week at most but I'm still firmly in the honeymoon stage. We've had a lot of rain and snow in the last month so the dainite sole has been a joy.

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

C&J Belgrave Hand grades.

They are that lovely vintage red brown colour so I just use Colonill burgundy crème on them to enhance the red.

Very noice

Sadly available in UK only. Is there a way around it for us in the States? You Brits get all the cool stuff :)
Congrats on the Islays. I've been wearing mine several days a week since purchase before Xmas. Most of my shoes & boots are worn once a week at most but I'm still firmly in the honeymoon stage. We've had a lot of rain and snow in the last month so the dainite sole has been a joy.

Leave it with me, it will be difficult, but will try.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads