** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Senior member

Can't imagine why they'd want to maximise their margins through increasing their direct sales, eh? Aha!

2. K. Nights

K. Nights Senior member

Does C&J do MTO with different widths? Would like to get the Skye but I would need a G fitting...

3. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

Yes as an individual MTO. Or as a group, if the entire group is that same width.

4. K. Nights

K. Nights Senior member

Great! Thanks

5. t44tq

t44tq New Member

Thank you, embromides. If that is a US "D" fitting shoe (or a Crockett "E"), it's not going to work for me at all. I definitely need a "G" fitting in Crockett to work.

Unfortunately, I tried some BB Peal & Co. in a US "E" fitting- one pair was C&J and the other Alfred Sargent. Neither one fit, unfortunately.

I got the last number wrong as well- the ones that I tried that fit were on a 341 last, in an Oxford, although the C&J manager assured me that if the Oxford shoe fit me in the right size, then a boot would fit the same. It looks like I won't be able to save money by getting the Purdeys- I'll have to do MTO direct from C&J.

Purdey won't disclose their manufacturers, but they did confirm that their boots are made to an "E" fitting, which I believe is the same width as a US "D".

6. embromides

embromides Member

"I got the last number wrong as well- the ones that I tried that fit were on a 341 last, in an Oxford, although the C&J manager assured me that if the Oxford shoe fit me in the right size, then a boot would fit the same. It looks like I won't be able to save money by getting the Purdeys- I'll have to do MTO direct from C&J."

Sorry that the 325 is a no-go. If you liked the 341 last ( and they fitted ) you might want to think about the Harlech boot. As a cordovan leather it is expensive, but in my experience, a most elegant boot!! It outclasses any other derby-style boot I have come across. In my opinion the Harlech, as a double leather-soled boot, also gives a more elegant finish than a rustic dainite-shod boot. I know I am well dressed when I stride out in them

The only other boot I aspire to is the old Somerville hand-grade barmoral-style boot (last 365). Unfortunately that last would be contricting for my feet I fear. Do post what decision you arrive at. There would be a waiting list for the Harlech. I waited 12 weeks when I ordered last year.

7. S K M

S K M Senior member

x2. My Harlechs in dark brown are my favorite boots ever!

8. S K M

S K M Senior member

How about sizing 0.5 up? A friend of mine wears 9.0 G in the Radstock (I think it is), but takes 9.5 E in Corniston without any troubles… And he was fitted for both of them in the C&J store in Jermyn St...

9. S K M

S K M Senior member

Thanks a lot Brummie, your insights into this always amazes me! I guess I have to make a prioritised list for the specs of the boots, and then see which brand can realise most of my wishes. Right now the list looks like: 1) Veldtschoen, 2) fully stealing lining, 3) aug grain/heather gorse, and possibly 4) Galway [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014

10. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

Looks like the PS model is dainite rather than commando, though.

11. calidist

calidist Senior member

There isn't a stock G in the Skye, right? I'd love a pair in G as well ...

12. K. Nights

K. Nights Senior member

I don't believe so, but maybe someone more knowledgeable could chime in.

13. attk

attk Active Member

Can anyone give me some advices on 348 last? Mostly my shoes i wear are uk8.5 for loake, cheaney, herring and meermin. Shall i pick 8.5 for 348 last, any half size up or down?

FYI
    Loake 3625 last 8,5
    Meermin Olfe and Hiro last 8,5
    Cheaney 11028 last 8,5
    Carmina Simpson 8,5 Inca 8,0

Ths so much
    Alfred

14. Dib

Dib Senior member

Much safer to try on in person. If you're in HK Tassels in the Landmark stocks them, so you can try and buy from there.

15. pennzi12

pennzi12 Active Member

I contacted C&J about US size conversions at Barneys and Ben Silver (BS) and they suggested to contact the retailer directly. I contacted BS before the holidaze and asked them if I normally size a C&J 10.5 E UK then what US size should I consider ordering from them. They replied a size 11 D US. Ben Silver lists US sizes. Ben Silver US D width is equivalent to C&J UK E width (medium width). The Skye boot is on the 335 last same as the UK version. BS replied to my question rather quickly so maybe try to contact them with any questions you have. I have not placed an order from BS at this point, just thought I would pass along my experience in hopes you will do the same if you decide to pursue a purchase.