** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Somatic

Somatic Senior member

2. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

I actually really like that Highbury in brown, but they are out of my size (UK9). I think I'm sort of striking out. Conistons aren't in my size either. Suede Hallams are (and I already have black Hallams) but I was sort of shopping for bluchers, I have too many balmorals as it is. Kinda was hoping the Islays would be included but it looks like they are already out of my size anyway.

3. Somatic

Somatic Senior member

That's a bummer. :(

Going to wait to see them in person, but is Barney's Coniston a unique color? Hmm...

4. RRRR

RRRR New Member

Currently I have a Connaught black size 8E (last 236). It's a perfect fit for me.

Unfortunately there are not many other options in the last.

I like the Westbourne (last 348) in chestnut. If I were to buy it would it be tight for me? There is no store near my place to try it out.

5. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

I said I wasn't going to buy any more boots for a while and then this sale happens. Just bought a pair of Conistons. Says something about my willpower.

6. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

"Will power" to get a good bargain. Well done. :D

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013

7. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

any darkbrown/brown punched captoes in a sleek last available in the barney sale? site is crashing on me.

8. CrackedCrab

CrackedCrab Senior member

Lonsdales on 363
    Bad pic stuck in work training had to sneak this pic
    [​IMG]

9. johanm

johanm Senior member

I have the black Chelsea 5 and can confirm that the leather is different from the standard C&J calf. It's softer, more matte, doesn't absorb shoe polish properly, and scuffs easily. Not a big deal overall but I wish they used regular calf. The shoe is otherwise awesome though, one of the best looking chelseas.

10. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

nice combo CC

11. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Okay, so I ordered a pair of Conistons from the Barneys sale this morning. Great price. But I'm looking at the pictures on their site of this Barneys' presumably exclusive makeup, and it seems to me that the boots sure look like they're made on a different last than the 325. I don't own anything on the 325 yet but tried some on when I visited their store on Jermyn St a while back. The Barneys pics shows those Conistons with a sleeker-looking toe box and front area than the standard scotch grain pictures that you see. They have the shape of my 341-lasted boots.

Do you think it's possible that Barneys would have those Conistons made up on a different last? Or is it just the pictures?

12. chipshot

chipshot Senior member

I have the BB Cordovan in this boot, it's on the 240 last, narrower than 325 in the toe box. The C&J Harlech Brown Cordovan boot is on last 341. I only have the 341 in Ashdown PTB cordovan burgandy. Love the shoe! Compy without looking too boxy.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013

13. eddiemczee

eddiemczee Senior member

Every other shoe on sale seems to be on the 348 last, so there's a possibility as well.

14. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Thanks, guys for your input. I only have one pair of C&J boots at the moment (Harlechs on the 341 last) and the other brands I buy don't "switch" lasts on a model. Some, like Alden, don't really have model names unless they're special makeups for some retailer. It just seems weird to me that they'd make a boot for Barneys that's called the Coniston and then make it on a different last and use a different leather than the standard ones on that model. If the last and the leather changes, why call it the Coniston?

I'll just have to wait to see what arrives.

15. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

I'd be surprised if those Barney's Conistons weren't on the 325. I've got a couple pairs of Barney's Keswicks on the 325. Looks like the same last to me.
    No way is it on the 348.