1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. andermt

andermt Well-Known Member

Had to go to Northampton this afternoon (to drop a pair of shoes off in Edward Green) so popped into the Crockett & Jones Factory store as it is closeby.

Found a pair of Tetbury boots in my size, so added it to my previous factory store purchases.

[​IMG]
    Tetbury

Previous purchases were
    [​IMG]
    Draycott2

[​IMG]
    Grasmere

2. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Nice work And, I haven't been for a few weeks.

Good kop!

3. Ialdabaof

Ialdabaof Active Member

Do they let you try the shoes on in the factory shops or should you know the lasts beforehand?

4. Cleav

Take em off the shelf and try your heart out!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. kaizo

kaizo Senior member

Beautiful boots! What boots is it?

6. Ialdabaof

Ialdabaof Active Member

Thanks! Is the 7.5 segment as vastly represented in the shop as the 9+ish is? Or do they have a stricter QC for the smaller sizes? [​IMG]
    About a year ago the 7.5 subs appeared pretty often on ebay but now there's a definite shortage of them.

7. Cleav

You're welcome.

They're QC will be what it is regardless of size. what is there at any given time is based on what is running and what is identified as imperfect. The staff there, will tell you and i happen to know from experience that it is true that the smaller sizes tend to get snapped up by Eastern visitors.

I'm UK 7.5 and I've never struggled to see shoes that I like and will buy based on this and of course value. This is plainly different from having a particular shoe/boot in mind as you are likely to be disappointed more often than not.

8. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

Too warm for me in the summer season.

9. Giannis

Giannis Senior member

I cant even wear my churchs ryder now in Greece. In the summer no way.

10. andermt

andermt Well-Known Member

Similarly I go for a look just to see what is on the shelves, quite a few times I've not bought anything.

There were quite a few eastern purchasers in on Friday, all sporting bags from Edward Green, so obviously doing the tour.[​IMG]

This time I was specifically looking for a pair of Tetbury's in Black. They had them in 10's and 12's, I'm a 10.5 or 11. Almost walked out but decided to try on the 10's, just in case, and they were a perfect fit.
    I'd previously tried on other 10's, a double monk, a few weeks back and they didn't fit. So sometimes worth checking the sizes above & below, just in case.

11. Cleav

Good advice. I've got probably 4 or 5 pairs that are marked a different size to my preference. Try on! :nodding:

12. DrNik

DrNik Member

I live in the tropics and always wear boots. Often Church's Ryder. Admittedly though I have only just started wearing my Islay on a trip to Scotland. To my utter dismay i think they may be too large despite being a 1/2 size smaller than my Church's. My toenail ends before last four dots of broguing, probably with 1.75cm of room. Thoughts on this?

13. Giannis

Giannis Senior member

That is interesting for me as I consider buying the Islay and my only british shoes sizing comparison for me can be done with the Ryder. What size do you wear in the Ryder and what would you think that it would be good on the Islay?

I wear a UK 10 in G wide fitting, so crockett suggested me to take the UK 10.5E. Any comments about the width?

14. CharlesQ

CharlesQ Active Member

For those looking to get some C&J's, Kurt Geiger have a 20% off code - KGPRIORITY - at the moment.

2 people like this.
  15. DrNik

DrNik Member

I feel that my 10.5E Islay are more generous in width and length compared to my 11F Ryder. It will prove an expensive mistake if I can't recover most of the replacement cost.

Sorry Giannis, I meant to quote you but new to site and still getting a handle on features

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  16. Giannis

Giannis Senior member

I firstly purchashed the Ryder in uk9,5F and it was too narrow for me. The E fitting of C&J is something like FX in churchs, so slightly more generous.

C&J suggested me to go up half a size, because the E is narrower than the G. But i m surprised that you went half a size down and they still are big in length.

Do you consider of getting them back to the store?

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  17. DrNik

DrNik Member

Even with thicker socks, as intended for a winter boot, I still feel they are too long with some slip at heel. Unfortunately, I have worn them for 2 afternoons outside and show some creasing, hence I can not exchange.

18. DrNik

DrNik Member

Sorry, meant to quote you again

19. Michael Haines

Michael Haines Senior member

20. zippyh

zippyh Senior member