• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

kaizo

Reaction score
I think they are giving them away to cerebrate gq's 25th anniversary.

Baked Potato

Reaction score
I'm planning to buy my first pair of Crockett & Jones, but I just have a small question before proceeding with my purchase.

It's the Chelsea 5-model in dark brown I'm planning to buy. But I've heard that it's made with some kind of "waxed nubuck" (antique nubuck) which should be treated as regular calf. But according to C&J's website, it's made of "Dark Brown Wax Calf". The local C&J retailer also told me that it's calf and not nubuck.

Who's right? Is it nubuck or waxed calf?

Last edited:

N YMutt

Reaction score
Searched this thread for "Wexford," but came up empty. Looking for someone who has experience with these teak-oiled shoes. They look great with jeans, and pretty good with khakis, but they are taking longer to break in than I am used to, and, meanwhile, they are quite unpleasant. They do seem to be getting better, slowly. For me, they are strictly weekend shoes, so they spend five days on their trees each week. Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's wrong with your Wexford? "Unpleasant" isn't very specific. I have the Wicklow which is basically the boot version of the Wexford and I've been wearing mine a lot this fall. I've had no issues with break in or unpleasantness so I'm not sure what you're experiencing. Care to elaborate a bit?

N YMutt

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The balls of my feet hurt when I walk in them, more so on a sidewalk than indoors. Also, the arch seems uncomfortably high. This is my first pair of C&J's. Never had a problem like this with AE or Church's oxfords. I'm totally prepared to accept that the Wexfords just take a while to break in, but wondering if there may be a more serious issue. If it's relevant, I'm a (UK) 9E. After I bought these shoes, I read on another thread that C&J may not be great for wider feet.

CTBrummie

Reaction score
^No shoes are great for wider feet if they don't fit properly...

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What width do you wear in AE? D or E? I actually have semi-wide feet (E width in AE, D in AE loafers) but C&J lasts generally seem to be wider where my foot is a bit wide so I wear the standard width in C&J. Judging from your screen name, are you in NYC? Did you get fitted at the C&J store?

N YMutt

Reaction score
I did buy them at the C&J store, but from a salesman who told me that these shoes are "waxed calf." Now, although I have worn Church's for work for many years (just because my dad does and told me to go there), it's only recently that I have actually become interested and started to learn something about good shoes ... and yet it was obvious to me that the Wexfords are certainly not calf and certainly not waxed. So, maybe the salesman also did not know how to fit the shoes. But they felt fine in the store, and they matched the size of my AE shoes (10E) as well as the size of my Church's.

clapeyron

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Scotch grain perfection. Crockett & Jones Islay.

Last edited:

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I went to the c and j shop on jermyn street today and had the best shoe buying experience so far. Very welcoming and they spent time looking for the right shoe for me. In the end I bought the connaught with adjustments.

What I didn't know was that they stitch in some cushion under the tongue if you suffer from a low arch. Since I have a very low arch I had two layers stitched in it cost £40 but its the only real solution for what I have. (Trust me I looked far and wide for low arch lasts).

I said to them I have the copy of this month's GQ and they even gave me a brass shoehorn for it.

The shoe is going to arrive in a couple of weeks so will post that later. :)

Can you post images of the result when you get them? I've been thinking of having this done to a few pair of shoes.
Thanks

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

and yet it was obvious to me that the Wexfords are certainly not calf and certainly not waxed.

Not calf, maybe waxed but definitely oiled. C&J calls them "robust oiled-hide leather." I'm actually surprised you're having issues with them. We're the same size (AE 10E, C&J UK9E) and my Wicklows are quite comfortable. Maybe the added "give" of the Ridgeway soles is stressing your foot in strange places. Do you have any C&Js with leather soles in the same size? Just curious if you experience the same thing in other C&Js.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I went to the c and j shop on jermyn street today and had the best shoe buying experience so far. Very welcoming and they spent time looking for the right shoe for me. In the end I bought the connaught with adjustments.

What I didn't know was that they stitch in some cushion under the tongue if you suffer from a low arch. Since I have a very low arch I had two layers stitched in it cost £40 but its the only real solution for what I have. (Trust me I looked far and wide for low arch lasts).

I said to them I have the copy of this month's GQ and they even gave me a brass shoehorn for it.

The shoe is going to arrive in a couple of weeks so will post that later. :)

Was it the #92 store that you went to? Do you remember who assisted you? I also had a fabulous experience there and think their customer service was excellent.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads