Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. thinman

thinman Senior member

I ordered a pair of Tetburys from Edwards of Manchester during their last sale. Ordered on Sunday and had them by Wednesday. I have no idea how they shipped to the US so fast.

Ben Silver's prices are very high, but they sometimes have unique makeups, like Weymouths in tan.

2. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Agreed, on both counts.

3. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

I apply as needed instead of a regular schedule (for better or worse). When I wear my boots and notice they're soaking more, then I re-apply once they dry. During heavy rains/snow, I put them on more frequently... I lived in NYC note that I walked anywhere from 3 to 5 miles in them, 75-80% in the elements.

4. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Senior member

Those of you searching for the Islay boot could do worse than checking out the Purdey website...

5. The7Ups

The7Ups Well-Known Member

Quote:Good spot Brummie, 30GBP cheaper than C&J and free shipping on items over 250GBP. Good deal. I have a real problem with C&J's frankly outrageous international shipping charges for single pairs (30GBP). Islay from C&J mail order will set you back 455GBP all in with no VAT back for EU buyers.

6. tom delgado

tom delgado Well-Known Member

Hallo! May anyone help me with the sizing of a pair of conistons please? How does the c&j 325 last compares to the 4497 trickers last of the stows? Thanks a lot.

7. calidist

calidist Senior member

Are there any reliable stockists for ordering G width C&Js? Preferably one with a good selection of G width styles.

8. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

^
    You can find online retailers offering G width, but their stock is hardly reliable. There is usually a 3 month wait at least.

C&J mail order is the only reliable game in town for G width really...

9. S K M

S K M Senior member

Agree. Another option is Budapester Shuhe in Germany – I think they have shops in both Berlin and Hamburg, but no web shop, so you have to email them for availability of a specific model. Last winter I bought a pair of Islays that happened to be on sale (around 120 pounds off while they were sold out all over Britain), and to top that: free shipping (including track and trace) [​IMG]

As far as I know, they also carry some EG and Tom Ford models...

10. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Senior member

Go for the same size. Both are fairly roomy lasts, but I go tts on both personally.

11. embromides

embromides Member

Must agree. I bought a pair of Purdy dark brown grain boots some weeks ago. They are made on the same last as the Coniston (325). I found them more elegant than the brogued Islay, which I found rather stumpy - the brogue toecap is too foreshortened for my taste. If you have the Coniston, as I have, and are looking for a darker brown in a leather boot it could prove ideal.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013

12. atlasfields

atlasfields New Member

Those Purdy's look very sharp. Feel rather silly asking, but those are made by CJ, correct?

13. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Senior member

This lot are, yes. But I'm pretty certain that other makers have made for Purdey in the past.

14. theundeadkennedy

theundeadkennedy Senior member

Thank you! Next pair of boots found :)

15. kaizo

kaizo Senior member

I went to the c and j shop on jermyn street today and had the best shoe buying experience so far. Very welcoming and they spent time looking for the right shoe for me. In the end I bought the connaught with adjustments.

What I didn't know was that they stitch in some cushion under the tongue if you suffer from a low arch. Since I have a very low arch I had two layers stitched in it cost £40 but its the only real solution for what I have. (Trust me I looked far and wide for low arch lasts).

I said to them I have the copy of this month's GQ and they even gave me a brass shoehorn for it.

The shoe is going to arrive in a couple of weeks so will post that later. :)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013