1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. partyof6

partyof6 Well-Known Member

I wear a 9D US. No experience with 341 last but wear 8E UK in the 348. It was very snug on my pinky toe at first but broke in after 6-7 wears.

2. gettoasty

gettoasty Well-Known Member

Anyone know whether this model is Connaught or Lonsdale? Looking hard for a dark brown suede straight tip cap toe and this pair in the photo looks beautiful.

3. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Well-Known Member

^^???
    It says Hallam in the post and on the shoe.

4. gettoasty

5. Celadon

Celadon Well-Known Member

The medallion looks like a rather curvy woman in ancient Greek dress carrying an amphora of wine in each arm. (I imagine that it may be intended as a fleur-de-lis, but it doesn't quite have the right proportions.)

But why would that stop anybody from buying the shoes?

6. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Well-Known Member

Very usual, and will soon be smooth. Understand your thoughts, but its just the angular part that is going through the normal process. Got years of wear, and no fears, Sir...

7. Nikola

Nikola Well-Known Member

Seeing photos like these really makes me go to my local cobbler and apply some rubber to the soles. I heard resoling at JL and CJ is pretty much expensive, like 40% of the value of the shoe, and takes ages to be done.

8. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Well-Known Member

toe plates/taps FTW

9. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

Hey GT,

You should get Hallam in suede, it really works

[​IMG]

Nik, I take mine to Colmore Row, Birmingham who send them to C & J for a full bench job. Time scale between 2-4 weeks at a cost of GB£120.

Some may say that is expensive but I don't take my cars to the local garage I take it to the main authorised dealer!

I have tried the local cobbler/s and they routinely do an average job.

C & J do it as it should be done on the right last etc etc. There is a noticeable difference best demonstrated in that I have never binned a pair of C & J!

2 people like this.
  10. mrjester

mrjester Well-Known Member

Hey guys. Where are some good places to look for C&J's (online)? I'm in the states, shoe size is about an 11-11.5US.

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  11. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Well-Known Member

Very nice description and beautiful shoe.

12. jssdc

jssdc Well-Known Member

Cleav - I will see your brown Lowndes and raise you a pair of black (two years old; not recently polished just happened to be wearing - and, oh yes, with a suit).

[​IMG]

13. jssdc

jssdc Well-Known Member

To be honest I've always thought of it as an oddly-proportioned attempt at a fleur-de-lis, but you're explanation is far more poetic.

14. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

Called! :rotflmao: [​IMG] (From last month)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  15. Mister Sloth

Mister Sloth Member

I know this has been asked many times but are C&J shoe trees really worth it?

I'm looking for the Tetbury size 10 in Suede last 348. A salesman told me that C&J has new mainline shoe trees that are unvarnished with double springs. My only problem is that I feel they're quite expensive for shoe trees that are not lasted. Do you people use the most? Any thoughts on Bexley shoe trees for the 348? I'm afraid they might be too wide.

16. PCK1

PCK1 Well-Known Member

Yes, they are excellent because they actually fill out the toe box and vamp of the shoe.

And if you are buying the Tetbury you should buy the "handgrade" trees as these are lasted to the 348 (same last as Tetbury).

The new unvarnished trees are nice too...I have a few pairs...they are double spring...with hole cut through the center to aid in letting the shoe breathe.

But for Tetbury...handgrade trees will fit it the best...tho standard trees will still do a decent job.

17. Allez Allez

Allez Allez Well-Known Member

I've wondered this myself. I've bought a few pairs from Barney's over the years and just stuck in regular shoe trees and they've worked fine. Still, last time I was in London I bought a pair of monkstraps at the store on Jermyn St and caved and got the unfinished shoe trees. I'm going to guess its probably a whole lot more important that you use some kind of shoe trees, rather than using the branded C&J ones. My two cents.

18. gettoasty

Are those dark brown? Looks like there is some gray in the suede unless its the photo. Just picked up a pair of a pair of quarter brogue (essential dark brown punched cap toe) Carmina oxford shoes, so, will probably postpone the dark brown suede a bit. I already have a pair of snuff suede chukka boots. Want a really nice, luxurious dark brown suede oxford later...

Thanks for the photo; I saw those earlier in the thread. Nice looking last it seems, not as pointed IRL photos compared to stock pictures.

19. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

a couple C&J for RL and BB models:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

Yeah, Espresso, don't see the grey IRL. Those q brogues sound nice :nodding: