1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

This ^ Somatic, do not concern yourself, you should expect this.

2. Somatic

Somatic Senior member

Whew, that's a relief. I was more worried that I had a weird step lol. The degree to which it occurs should go down as it wears more, right?

3. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

It will lessen as the soles break in. When the soles are new and stiff the toe tends to drag a little more than usual.

4. Cleav

Yeah, it's a pet peeve of mine with new shoes. Walking the kids the short distance to school and back can scuff em, so I just wipe away the burr, wee dab of polish and carry on.

After a little wearing your stride and gait will fashion them beautifully.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  5. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Some with patience will break them in on carpet for a few wears to lessen this effect. I don't always have that patience.

6. jdanielca

jdanielca Senior member

You gonna send them to dandyshoecare? Personally I think green is hard to match but to each his own.

7. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

Green with blue jeans is awesome...

and not ship to italy to alexander...there is a guy emmanuele that comes to NYC every few months...does the same thing.

8. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

@Somatic - if you have a really top notch cobbler you can have them put in flush metal toe tips which will prevent that wear and extend the life of your soles...but only if you have a top notch cobbler that is capable of this work...otherwise a bad cobbler will just make things worse.

B. Nelson's in NYC does a good job...

9. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

A little handgrade chestnut action today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Out of the box C&J Chestnut can be a bit orangy, but these have darkened and developed nice color depth over time (not Crat-level, but still nice). They're a year old next week and I wear them 1-2 times per week.

7 people like this.
  10. Cleav

Nice work @jssdc, they're ageing well :nodding:

11. partyof6

partyof6 Senior member

Wow! Those look great. I would not have guessed that they were a year old. Are those the Selbournes? Well done sir!

12. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

Thanks, gents. Yes these are the Selbournes and I've been really happy with the way they've held up with regular wear and care. I think part of it is that the 358 is a pretty well-fitting oxford last for me (not quite as good in boots unfortunately), so the creasing isn't all that deep and is in the right places (i.e. just across the toe joint).

13. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

That Medallion is .... suggestive

1 person likes this.
  14. Cleav

:rotflmao:

15. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

People say that on SF but it's honestly never occurred to me outside the context of this forum. My personal preference on all shoes is for no medallion at all but C&J doesn't do a ton of oxfords on the 358 unfortunately.

16. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

Lowndes...348...dark brown golf grain...dainite soles...this shoe was designed to make you look classy even in the nastiest of weather...my favorite type of shoe :)

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  17. 90shilling

90shilling Senior member

Simply put, those Lowndes are stunning. They just catapulted to the top of my must-kop list. How long have you had them?

18. BaldwinP

BaldwinP Senior member

Really? It occurred to me the first time I saw them in the flesh... the one and only reason I didn't buy them, actually, because I otherwise love the look of that shoe. Once you see that shape in the medallion it's hard to want to buy them, though.

Not the only shoe which a dumb medallion has caused me to not buy. Ah, shoemakers and their bad medallions.

19. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Senior member

So true. Even the phallic Selbourne medallion is better than the stuff Carmina puts on their shoes.

20. jdanielca

jdanielca Senior member

Is no one gonna help me with some info and opinions on the soft rubber sole? :(