1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. masaccio

masaccio Senior Member

Typhoon weather calls for Dainite sole:

[​IMG]

C&J Chelsea 5 boots in Roughout Suede.

2. NAMOR

NAMOR Stylish Dinosaur

i love your avatar

3. masaccio

masaccio Senior Member

Heh. It's a self-portrait. Created, as I recall, using the South Park Avatar Creator.

4. embromides

embromides Member

New to the forum, but not to Crockett and Jones footwear. Just curious about the CTBrummie last post. I don't recognise those boots as Islay or Mallory. Can this be clarified? The first looks like Skye. I don't recognise the second. Very like a Coniston. Would like to know......
    I have had my Coniston for some ten years. Brilliant boots, very elegant country wear. My cordovan Harlech are the epitome of style. As I type I am awaiting the delivery of Purdey dark brown scots grain built by Crockett and Jones on the 325 last (ie Conistons by another colour).

carpe diem

5. toblov

toblov Well-Known Member

Its the navy Coniston. New for the year.

6. embromides

embromides Member

Just received delivery of my Purdey scotch grain boots. Not as heavy as my Coniston, thinner dainite sole. I think the leather is not as good quality, but my Coniston were made ten years ago - perhaps standards have slipped, or maybe Purdey contracted Crockett and Jones to downgrade the leather for these. Most of the numbers on the lining match my old Coniston. I'll have a decide if I will keep them. I'm hoping if I hang onto them, they will buff up better than they look now.

carpe diem

7. Isbister

Isbister Senior Member

Five or six years ago I bought two pairs of Grasmere shoes - one black, one tan. I'm very fond of country grain and like them a lot - the last suits me very well. Last week I bought another pair of black Grasmeres - the original pair are still in quite good order but had become quite scratched.

The new pair appear to be made from a rather different grade of leather - the pebble grain is somewhat more defined, which I like, but the leather seems rather stiffer, which I'm uncertain about. I'm quite sure the original Grasmeres were always softer, it's not a question of their having become softer with age.

I would be grateful if C&J's spokesman could comment on whether the sourcing of their leather could have changed in this time.

8. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Distinguished Member

Former are definitely Islays; I have a pair myself. The Islay is a higher boot and I think even has an extra speed hook compared to the Skye. The Islay also has a pebble finish whereas the Skye has a smooth upper. Finally, (this really can't be seen with the picture) the lasts are different with the Islay being more generous (at least from my experience) compared to the Skye.

9. embromides

embromides Member

10. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Senior Member

The Islays are, unworn, a very deep brown that appears almost black. Mine have lightened a lot since I've been wearing them, and I think they look all the better for it! The colour of the laces seems to bring out the lighter tones, too.

I love my Skyes but they don't get anywhere near as much wear as the Islay, so I might be letting them go soon. And you're right, the 325 last is a roomy last, although I'd say that the 228 possibly pips it for overall roominess.

I've now got a pair of the Mallory boots on their way to me from Cheaney, and 'accidentally' ordered a pair of their shearling-lined Irvine brogue boots for a side-by-side comparison with the navy Conistons. One of these pairs, alongside the special order placed with C&J last week, will be part of my kit for this winter...

11. jrd617

jrd617 Stylish Dinosaur

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013

12. granjamo

granjamo Well-Known Member

13. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Distinguished Member

14. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Distinguished Member

15. Shinrouen

Shinrouen Member

I just bought my first pair of Peal and Co, I have to say I think I'm love with my shoes. How can I determine that they are really C&J and what last they are on?

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Peal-...html?dwvar_049H_Color=BLCK&contentpos=3&cgid=

I'm just starting to upgrade from sub-$200 shoes; I picked up a pair of AE Fifth Avenues and threw them back in the shipping box when they arrived because of how hideous they were. If purchasing in the US, is pediwear still the best place to shop or is it better to phone in to the NYC store and have them ship it from there?