** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Cool, keep us posted how the sizing works out

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  2. txeconomist

txeconomist Senior member

Ben silver has them

3. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Yes, that's where I got the picture from. I ran into them when I was Googling how the shoes fit, ironically enough. But their price is very high. I only paid around $500 shipped for my brown Weymouth shipped from the UK. I'm not in a hurry to get these or anything. However, if the past is an indication, I should have around 10 pairs of C&J's within a year. :embar:

4. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

How did you get the Weymouth for $500 shipped?

5. swiego

swiego Senior member

I've seen some references on this thread and elsewhere to poor service at the C&J NYC store. Could anyone provide specifics? Or, things to avoid or be aware of should I go back? My shopping experience from the previous trip was positive, but not necessarily better than what I'd get at a discount shoe store looking for gym sneakers. Perhaps this is what people mean. In any case, should I be planning another visit, any suggestions?

6. wj4

wj4 Senior member

7. wj4

wj4 Senior member

I got this email back from Pediwear:

"Regrettably we cannot obtain the Tan colour; only the Black and Dark Brown colours are manufactured as stock items by C&J. The Tan coloured shoes that you have seen may have been a batch that was specially manufactured for a particular retailer. Sorry for any disappointment."

8. ncdobson

ncdobson Senior member

I've also admired shoes on the Ben Silver website but would prefer not to pay their markup. What last is the Hampton spectator made on?

9. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

But you can order direct from C & J. Any model from the benchgrade line, in any leather from the benchgrade line, for a 50 pound upcharge.

10. Gerry

Gerry Senior member

Hi guys, these are my first pair of real(well expensive) shoes. I did used to wear George Webbs back in the day but while they were a good shoe made from leather and so repairable I'm not sure there were in the same league as these babies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Northampton Novice

Northampton Novice Senior member

^ The Conniston is a lovely grained leather boot - recently I have seen these in smooth calf leather guise and they look fantastic.

Wear them in good health Sir:)

12. wj4

wj4 Senior member

I already made a list of the C&J shoes I want to buy. :)

I went true to size on last 337, only sized down .5 to convert to my UK size. Alas, the shoes are too large. :( I will be exchanging them for a .5 size smaller so would be sizing down 1 size overall.

13. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

Does this apply to Handgrade? From the 2011 catalogue, 'special orders' start at 500 pounds..presumably these are for handgrade shoes only? (e.g. a Tan Weymouth).

14. chogall

chogall Senior member

Again, C&J and Lobb are full size down from US sizing, as with Tricker's. [​IMG] G&G and EG are half size down.

15. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

I was told by the SAs in two separate London stores that ordering any shoe in an alternate color but with no other alterations was a flat 50 pound upcharge, whether they be bench or hand grade. Any shoe, with any standard color from that grade.

The Weymouths are hangrades and list in the catalog for 420 pounds. So I would expect them to be 480 pounds based on what I was told. In either case it seems 500 pounds covers it.

Of course, the SAs could have been making me a special offer I guess, but that possibility has just occurred to me.