• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

dusttruffle

Reaction score
Am i correct that the all the C&J for RL are US size = UK size + 0.5 ?
Is this the same for the CJ for Brooks Bros. ?

I saw mention of it in the CJ4RL thread (but cannot find the reference now) if there definitive answers for the last numbers that are used for RL and Brook Bros. ?

dusttruffle

Reaction score
I've posted this before, but C&J told me that the 325 lasted shoes for RL are listed with US size .5 above their UK size. Most of my regular fitting shoes (ie not Barrie lasted Aldens) are a size 7.5 (same as my Brannock measurement), and I comfortably fit a 7 in the Darlton.

My experience suggests that the Darltons fit a half size larger than their listed US size, and fit TTS in their actual UK size. They are somewhat narrow though so I can see why someone with a wide/average foot would be more comfortable not sizing down.

Cross post from C&J for RL

Sorry for the "long in the past" quote post, not expecting a reply.

It would be nice for C&J to clarify this because perusing the RL website

1) RL lists the Darlton Wingtip as calf (looks like Cordovan) - is the same photo and i assume the same shoe but called Marlow on US site.
2) RL list US size as UK +1

Last edited:

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also I was rather disappointed with the sole/heel change done by C&J's repairer. There are dent marks (tool marks?) on the side of the heel of one shoe - see picture. Having paid £420 for them, i think it's not unreasonable to expect pristine factory-standard finishing for a pair of new shoes. I feel like I'm getting a pair of flawed factory seconds. What do other people think - is it acceptable? :-(

It's ok, you will make more dents as you walk.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hello quick question...

I got my Finsbury shoes from C&J by mail order today. One of the shoes has a break crease across the leather. Does this mean that it's been worn by someone previously, either a return or tried on? Should I be bothered? :-(

Photo please, if you mail order from a store, you will get their stock items, which may be tried on. Why are you bothered?

dusttruffle

Reaction score
Cross post from C&J for RL

Sorry for the "long in the past" quote post, not expecting a reply.

It would be nice for C&J to clarify this because perusing the RL website

1) RL lists the Darlton Wingtip as calf (looks like Cordovan) - is the same photo and i assume the same shoe but called Marlow on US site.
2) RL list US size as UK +1

Apparently the Lindricks are marked a whole size difference

Quote:
This suggests a whole size difference. Would love confirmation either way, unless it is a 325 last size 10E and RL consider this 'roomy' and adjust it?
A bit of clarity would be good on $1000 boots.

Chuckie Egg

Reaction score

Photo please, if you mail order from a store, you will get their stock items, which may be tried on. Why are you bothered?

Well, I suppose I should not be... I don't mean to be picky.

I'm more bothered by the dent in the heel stack - it's rather ugly :-( I'm ok with normal wear and tear, just don't expect a dent before I've even worn them at all.

Last edited:

Chuckie Egg

Reaction score

Hm, it's not ideal, did you get the cobbler to add the sole after you received it?

No, i only received it today. I've not even tried them on myself. The work was all arranged by Crockett & Jones, done by a third party repairer that they use. I ordered the Finsbury & requested a sole/heel change from the stock leather to Dainite rubber for which they charged £60 on top of the £350 retail price.

There are 3 dent marks, one is so deep it's essentially a gouge :-(

Last edited:

Chuckie Egg

Reaction score
Thanks for your advice wurger. I've emailed the C&J assistant manager that was dealing with my order to ask his opinion.

I know that one is likely to pick up marks with wear, but this would be like buying a brand new watch with a deep ding or scratch and being told it was ok because you'd pick up scratches anyway :-(

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apparently the Lindricks are marked a whole size difference

Not sure who is marking what where but I am *generally* a size 9D "TTS"/Brannock and I take a 8.5 in the Lindrick. I believe that is standard for many of C&J's lasts, at least the C&J for RL. I also tried on the BB/Peal & Co. (C&J) boot and am also 8.5. I would not fit into size 8.

dusttruffle

Reaction score
Not sure who is marking what where but I am *generally* a size 9D "TTS"/Brannock and I take a 8.5 in the Lindrick. I believe that is standard for many of C&J's lasts, at least the C&J for RL. I also tried on the BB/Peal & Co. (C&J) boot and am also 8.5. I would not fit into size 8.

when you say you take an 8.5 in the Lindrick do you mean the C&J size or the RL size? I too am *generally* a USsize 9D "TTS"
(Quoddy / Plaza Alden)​
but perhaps a US8.5E is a better fit.

In the C & J shop i measure as dead on the line CJUK8 and just over standard width on my larger foot.
In the Chiltern Chukka on the
224, which the assistant said was roomy, i could fit in the 8 *just* but​
needed more volume in the toe box and a touch more room in the length,
the CJUK8.5 was a nice if a *little* roomy fit.

Another desirable last where my feet are determined to be between sizes! Yes .... I am looking at you Alden Barrie!
ffffuuuu.gif

I will say the service in the Royal Exchange Store was fantastic, especially as I passed and entered on a whim to checkout their chukka selection.​

btw

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Ralph...10-E-950-/350801795024?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

that is where it says box and lining shows U.S. 10.5E being size UK 9.5E --- EU 43.5

Last edited:

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have various C&J for RL and C&J for BB models, shoes and boots, shell and calf, all in US9.5D. I also have various C&J models, all in UK8.5E. The fit is comparable across the board, as to length and width. If there is one difference,I would say the US 9.5D's are ever so slightly longer, but not enough to justify a size change.

dusttruffle

Reaction score
I have various C&J for RL and C&J for BB models, shoes and boots, shell and calf, all in US9.5D. I also have various C&J models, all in UK8.5E. The fit is comparable across the board, as to length and width. If there is one difference,I would say the US 9.5D's are ever so slightly longer, but not enough to justify a size change.

thanks SFG.

can i trouble you for your Alden last sizes as a comparison?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads