• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So 348 and 358 does look a bit different after all...

kwhunter

Reaction score
yup, but are they actually different (toe shape wise).

Sorry, I have only the 358 in my stable so I can't tell; by the pic above they look the same but there should be some subtle differences... my eye sees the 358 narrower?!

Last edited:

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hard to tell with the cap on one of them. Always been told my C&J SA in NYC that they're the same shape just different grades.

Cesare1970

Reaction score
I have been told that the 358 has een little more room in the front than the 348. I have 2 pairs of monks in 358 and 4 pairs 348, all with laces. Reckon that gives a different 'feel' as well.
I tend to agree that the picture indicates the opposite..

kwhunter

Reaction score
I have been told that the 358 has een little more room in the front than the 348. I have 2 pairs of monks in 358 and 4 pairs 348, all with laces. Reckon that gives a different 'feel' as well.
I tend to agree that the picture indicates the opposite..
The 358 is long, I have at least 1/2" extra space in the front; the 363 has about the same length, not sure about the 348 though.

Tuur

Reaction score
My Edgware's (size UK8) are now fully broken in. They fit rather loose however. They won't slip of my foot off course but when I'm wearing thinner socks (like Falke Airports) the shoes just feel too loose. I now wear two pairs of thinner (Falke Airport) socks with my Edgware's, and there's still some heel slippage. With two pairs of socks on, I don't experience any problem's in the toe area, nor in any other area. So for me, wearing two pairs of thinner socks is an improvement in fit.

I was in a C&J shop lately and I tried some Westbourne's (just like the Edgware's on the 348-last) in the same size UK8 and I was really surprised with the difference in fit. Straight out of the box the Westbourne's felt like they had a good fit, like there is no need to size down. But my well worn Edgware's (I worn them for +/- 20 full days now) in the same size feel too loose.

I guess that an extra pair of thin socks doesn't count as a half size, but with the expierence I have now with my Edgware's and with the leather softening after some weeks, I think I should risk it and size a half-size down to UK7,5 for my next pair. Do you agree?

I'm wondering if when a UK8 is slighty to rather loose, a UK7,5 can be too tight, especially in the toe area? I know that, if counted in centimetres (or inches), there isn't a lot of difference between a half-size. What's your expierence?

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My Edgware's (size UK8) are now fully broken in. They fit rather loose however. They won't slip of my foot off course but when I'm wearing thinner socks (like Falke Airports) the shoes just feel too loose. I now wear two pairs of thinner (Falke Airport) socks with my Edgware's, and there's still some heel slippage. With two pairs of socks on, I don't experience any problem's in the toe area, nor in any other area. So for me, wearing two pairs of thinner socks is an improvement in fit.

I was in a C&J shop lately and I tried some Westbourne's (just like the Edgware's on the 348-last) in the same size UK8 and I was really surprised with the difference in fit. Straight out of the box the Westbourne's felt like they had a good fit, like there is no need to size down. But my well worn Edgware's (I worn them for +/- 20 full days now) in the same size feel too loose.

I guess that an extra pair of thin socks doesn't count as a half size, but with the expierence I have now with my Edgware's and with the leather softening after some weeks, I think I should risk it and size a half-size down to UK7,5 for my next pair. Do you agree?

I'm wondering if when a UK8 is slighty to rather loose, a UK7,5 can be too tight, especially in the toe area? I know that, if counted in centimetres (or inches), there isn't a lot of difference between a half-size. What's your expierence? 

I recommend you add a leather insole, like ones from Tacco, half sizes are about 4 mm in difference, not cm.

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I recommend you add a leather insole, like ones from Tacco, half sizes are about 4 mm in difference, not cm.

I'm not sure if the Tacco ones are different, but I bought some Pedag ones and they made a negligible difference in filling up the shoe.

Last edited:

jaywhyy

Reaction score
I find that tongue pads do a better job with mitigating heel slip than insoles, especially full insoles that will lift your foot out of the heel cup.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some last information from David of Pediwear, CJ brand manager;

"All of the Handgrade lasts tend to fit slightly more generously than the Benchgrade lasts, so 337, 358 and 363 are a little more generous than the other lasts. The 337 is a good well-fitting last that fits very much true to size. The 363 although fitting very similarly in the same size is more elongated in shape with a narrower rounded toe so that the shoes are physically slightly longer. The 358 is also an elongated shape; it has the sleek and long appearance of the 348 last but with the extra width of the 337 last, and has a squarer toe shape. In the vast majority of cases customers will take the same size in all of these lasts."

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some last information from David of Pediwear, CJ brand manager;

"All of the Handgrade lasts tend to fit slightly more generously than the Benchgrade lasts, so 337, 358 and 363 are a little more generous than the other lasts. The 337 is a good well-fitting last that fits very much true to size. The 363 although fitting very similarly in the same size is more elongated in shape with a narrower rounded toe so that the shoes are physically slightly longer. The 358 is also an elongated shape; it has the sleek and long appearance of the 348 last but with the extra width of the 337 last, and has a squarer toe shape. In the vast majority of cases customers will take the same size in all of these lasts."
Thanks for sharing sir.

CandJONLINE

Reaction score
Hi Crockett & Jones

Is it possible to post a blog article about the different last comparisons, that would help us to determine the style to get.
smile.gif
Hi wurger, we may have already replied to you via email as we had a similar request come through our website the other day, maybe it’s just a coincidence.

Last comparison online (with photos) is really tricky to do for a number of reasons. Firstly we wouldn’t put up photos of the actual lasts or bottom patterns (for more secretive reasons) and to make a worthwhile comparison using finished shoes, we’d really need the same style made up on every last which would be rather expensive.

I see you found the image we mocked up quickly a year or so ago which is a rough guide. Another reference is the C&J catalogue and website, these both show ‘birds eye’ views of the toe shape.

If you had any other ideas, we would certainly consider them.

All the best,
C&J Online.

CandJONLINE

Reaction score
This eBay listing has a pair of loafers with identical markings... the country of manufacture is listed as South Africa. (???)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CROCKETT-JO...6523201?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item3f265c4e41

Someone should contact C&J and ask what these are. In any case, they look old, 1970's to 80's.
Hi Quantimil,

Any shoes on the South African market are produced under licence (by another company) for the local market and are only sold in South Africa (noo exported). They are made in a South African factory and have entirely different styles and specifications from Crockett & Jones shoes in the rest of the world which are all made in our factory in Northampton, England.

This is an historical arrangement that has not affected the growth of the Crockett & Jones brand worldwide.

The gulf in quality is clear to see but we understand that website such Ebay enabling people to sell there own goods can leak a few style here and there. If anyone is ever concerned about authenticity, please email [email protected] and we'll take a look.

Thanks,
C&J Online

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics