1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. WiredandTired

WiredandTired Senior member

2. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Sho nuff WandT :)

3. chipshot

chipshot Senior member

Awesome trousers to go with the smokin monks. Nicely played Sir!

4. Cleav

Thanks Chipshot :nodding:

5. Farhad19620

Farhad19620 Senior member

Beautiful DM's Cleav, congratulations.

6. Cleav

Thanks Farhad,

Everyone, just wondering about levels of formality with these DMs, I have a couple suede monkton (SM) which I view to be quite casual, step up (ish) from a loafer. So where do you guys wear DMs of this colour, golf grain, etc

Looking for a range of opinions and views, grateful if you'd share, not upset if you don't.

7. alexSF

alexSF Senior member

^ Fantastic make-up, double sole and 341 last are perfection.

Can you share where you have bought them? it's a retailer mto?

Thanks in advance

8. Cleav

You are not going to believe this @alexSF

I have lots of C & J and probably 20% of then come from this source.

I have a contract to provide services to a big organisation in Northampton and go down twice a month to review matters etc.

I like to go on a Friday so I can drop in to the factory shop. I may get lucky and pick up something I want once every two or three months. I really don't need anymore shoes.

What was missing from my rota was a DM so I was prepared to buy from Colmore Row in Birmingham, however I was in Northampton on Friday and these beauties were there.

GB£150, absolute daylight robbery. As you can imagine I was very pleased. I believe there to be nothing wrong with except badged up as size 7, when they are actually 7.5UK, there are no marks or blems at all as far as I can see.

I considered buying the blue Monkton, also at GB£150 but couldn't see where I would put em into a fit. So didn't buy them. I may regret that.

Here's the pics taken on the day, 21st.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  9. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

Good lord. Next time I'm in Blighty the C&J factory shop will be my first point of call.

10. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

[​IMG]

I can never set foot there....I would leave with more shoes than I could ever use in my lifetime....

1 person likes this.
  11. Cleav

Glad you're here PCK, saves me clogging up RYS and shoes thread

Blue Monks second shelf third pic.

What say you dear friend?

12. S K M

S K M Senior member

[​IMG]

Btw, interesting loafers in the lower right corner here:

[​IMG]

I don't recall having seen many C&Js in this shade of leather (and definitely not any loafers) which is really a shame. A pair of double monks in that shade wouldn't be too bad either...

13. Cleav

Yeah SKM loafers aren't my thing but I get what you say. Are those blue Monktons too blue? Not dark enough? I have some suede Carmina black whole cuts on the way so perhaps I could fit this blue in.

I suppose I should look at it this way. I didn't have to think about the tan DMs, they were robocop, to quote our friend @in stitches but couldn't quite feel the same about these.

Maybe I won't regret it.

1 person likes this.
  14. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

not sure about navy DMs, not sure what exactly one would wear with. id kop a black pair first. they made for a great more formal shoe with a bit of fun imo.

1 person likes this.
  15. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

@Cleav - I think I've seen those blue monktons before...they are suede right? They are very very blue...not so dark.

When I was doing some C&J MTO's...I had them send me a whole lot of photos of previous MTO's for inspiration and these were one of the pics.

I think I could only wear this shoe casually....I do love the monkton style...I have 3 pair of them haha.

Me personally, I could pull this shoe off...but definitely not in a formal setting....and even semi-formal...it would have to be the right time/place. Casually with chinos/jeans, etc. though I could wear this pretty easily.

If the price is right it might be worth it. But you might be better off going with something that you know you can get a lot of good use out of...as these shoes definitely require a very specific owner/outfit.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  16. Cleav

Those are the kiddies, far too royal blue. That pic you posted does the colour justice, thanks.

I have them in different colour and work well which is why I was drawn to them. Glad that my instinct held me back, though at GB£150 not too bad a mistake if I had relented.

On reflection I made the right decision.

Thanks pal/s

1 person likes this.
  17. S K M

S K M Senior member

Well, to me blue shoes look great (just saw a pair of navy shell double monks on the EG thread and they were [​IMG]), but I'm having a hard time pulling them off myself since I often wear either blue trousers or a blue shirt. Blue shoes with blue trousers would obviously be a no-go (at least for me), and blue shirt with blue shoes would easily look a bit too matchy-matchy. Admitted, though, if it's a light blue shirt and dark navy shoes it would be quite… awesome.

18. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

Yeah...the first time I saw that pic I was kind of shocked by the blue...it really stands out.

I prefer the Lowndes you picked up over these Monkton's any day of the week.

1 person likes this.
  19. S K M

S K M Senior member

However, unlined blue suede loafers are [​IMG] (at least with shorts and appropriately tanned legs)

20. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

I think they do some really nice MTO Chelseas though. I especially like the burgundy ones. The bluish ones they describe as "navy suede" and I much prefer this color over the royal blue of the monkton's. Not so sure about the green golf grain...I'd have a hard time wearing that...but the other two I could wear...especially the burgundy...could wear them with just about anything.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]