• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

B-Rogue

Reaction score
Can anyone explain to me what is the difference between the calf and wax calf leathers that C&J use please? I was told that the wax calf is a much softer leather and more water proof but I'm not sure which one takes a better shine or is smoother on the outside?

Edit: The other difference I'm unsure about is between Single Dainite sole and Studded Dainite sole.

Last edited:

BespokeKiwi

Reaction score
I'm a newcomer to SF, this is my first post.

I'm very fond of chukka boots -- especially to 2-eyelet variety -- for casual/smart casual wear.

I was excited to receive my very first C&J purchase in Auckland, New Zealand today, i.e. a pair of 348 Milton Polo Suede chukka boots. The boots were purchased via mail order from C&J's Burlington Arcade shop in London.

Overall, I'm a little disappointed (owing to some minor issues) with the quality of my first purchase. Specifically, there were water marks on the sole of the boots and visible varnishing issues, i.e. varnish whitening on the edges of the outer sole and/or parts of the welts not varnished properly. It appears that the boots may have been shop soiled and/or were seconds sold at full retail price.

One a positive note, hopefully the application of some linseed oil will resolve the above varnish related issues and avoid the time, expense, and hassle of having to return the boots to the UK.

The above minor quality issues aside, the boots look great. Although, the pointed square toes on the 348 Milton chukka boots are a little more pronounced in reality than I was expecting from photo images. So, I'm still in the process of fully acquiring a taste for them. Hopefully, they will grow on me.

BTW, I'm a 50 year old male and wonder if the 348 last is better suited to the younger man or am I being too conservative? SF what say you? Thanks.

Given my above concerns about whether or not the 348 last is age appropriate for a 50 year old, I prepared the last comparison chart (see below) to assist my decision making for future orders from C&J, which other SF chukka boot lovers may find helpful.

Last Comparison - Chukka Boots 2-Eyelet

Last edited:

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

BTW, I'm a 50 year old male and wonder if the 348 last is better suited to the younger man or am I being too conservative? SF what say you? Thanks.
I love my C&J Lowndes, which are on the 348, and I've been a huge fan of the Tetbury as shown on photos etc... Until they were on my feet. They are a bit to sleek to be a chukka IMO. However, I am a size 7, which made them look overly sleek; they may look better proportioned in larger sizes.

Tuur

Reaction score
I have a problem with my 348-last oxford (edgware). Due to my low instep the laces close completetly and I can't get enough grip.

Do you think that a derby-shoe on the 358-last (Brunswick 2) will give me more grip on the instep?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have a problem with my 348-last oxford (edgware). Due to my low instep the laces close completetly and I can't get enough grip. 

Do you think that a derby-shoe on the 358-last (Brunswick 2) will give me more grip on the instep?

Have you tried tounge pad on 348, 358 fits pretty much like a 348

green garden

Reaction score
I'm a newcomer to SF, this is my first post.

I'm very fond of chukka boots -- especially to 2-eyelet variety -- for casual/smart casual wear.

I was excited to receive my very first C&J purchase in Auckland, New Zealand today, i.e. a pair of 348 Milton Polo Suede chukka boots. The boots were purchased via mail order from C&J's Burlington Arcade shop in London.

Overall, I'm a little disappointed (owing to some minor issues) with the quality of my first purchase. Specifically, there were water marks on the sole of the boots and visible varnishing issues, i.e. varnish whitening on the edges of the outer sole and/or parts of the welts not varnished properly. It appears that the boots may have been shop soiled and/or were seconds sold at full retail price.

One a positive note, hopefully the application of some linseed oil will resolve the above varnish related issues and avoid the time, expense, and hassle of having to return the boots to the UK.

The above minor quality issues aside, the boots look great. Although, the pointed square toes on the 348 Milton chukka boots are a little more pronounced in reality than I was expecting from photo images. So, I'm still in the process of fully acquiring a taste for them. Hopefully, they will grow on me.

Given my above concerns about whether or not the 348 last is age appropriate for a 50 year old, I prepared the last comparison chart (see below) to assist my decision making for future orders from C&J, which other SF chukka boot lovers may find helpful.

Last Comparison - Chukka Boots 2-Eyelet

I'm around 6 years or so before my big 50 and I certainly see myself wearing sleek lasts 10+ years from now. I say if you like it and suits your style, go for it!

As for the chukka above, I think the Milton needs a dressier outfit. If you normally wear casual, the Hartland seems like it may be easier to wear.

All the best!

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm a newcomer to SF, this is my first post. I'm very fond of chukka boots -- especially to 2-eyelet variety -- for casual/smart casual wear. I was excited to receive my very first C&J purchase in Auckland, New Zealand today, i.e. a pair of 348 Milton Polo Suede chukka boots. The boots were purchased via mail order from C&J's Burlington Arcade shop in London. Overall, I'm a little disappointed (owing to some minor issues) with the quality of my first purchase. Specifically, there were water marks on the sole of the boots and visible varnishing issues, i.e. varnish whitening on the edges of the outer sole and/or parts of the welts not varnished properly. It appears that the boots may have been shop soiled and/or were seconds sold at full retail price. One a positive note, hopefully the application of some linseed oil will resolve the above varnish related issues and avoid the time, expense, and hassle of having to return the boots to the UK. The above minor quality issues aside, the boots look great. Although, the pointed square toes on the 348 Milton chukka boots are a little more pronounced in reality than I was expecting from photo images. So, I'm still in the process of fully acquiring a taste for them. Hopefully, they will grow on me. BTW, I'm a 50 year old male and wonder if the 348 last is better suited to the younger man or am I being too conservative? SF what say you? Thanks. Given my above concerns about whether or not the 348 last is age appropriate for a 50 year old, I prepared the last comparison chart (see below) to assist my decision making for future orders from C&J, which other SF chukka boot lovers may find helpful. Last Comparison - Chukka Boots 2-Eyelet
I don't mind the 348. Personally, it does nothing for me on a chukka boot.

Tuur

Reaction score

Have you tried tounge pad on 348, 358 fits pretty much like a 348

I'd rather not use a tounge pad. I thought that because of the Brunswick 2 being a derby-shoe, you maybe have more space at the laces to tighten them.. ?

Last edited:

Xtra

Reaction score
Anyone know of any internet vendors who sell shoe trees for the 341 last? Either lasted trees or trees that fit the last reasonably well.

My generic ones by Melvin & Hamilton don't fit. Pediwear thinks that these trees might fit the bill - http://www.pediwear.co.uk/saphir-shoe-care/products/5558.php

And secondly, how much do you think lasted trees by C&J would cost?

Tuur

Reaction score

Anyone know of any internet vendors who sell shoe trees for the 341 last? Either lasted trees or trees that fit the last reasonably well. My generic ones by Melvin & Hamilton don't fit. Pediwear thinks that these trees might fit the bill - http://www.pediwear.co.uk/saphir-shoe-care/products/5558.php And secondly, how much do you think lasted trees by C&J would cost?
I paid 75 euro's or +/- 65 £ for 348-lasted trees in a C&J-store one month ago. Rather expensive indeed. EDIT: I'm not sure if the trees are really lasted. I think the C&J trees are generic ones that are used for most lasts. But like I've said, I'm not sure about this.

Last edited:

GamaH

Reaction score
I have a slim foot (slim end of a D width), and low instep (terribly flat-footed). Any ideas on how the C&J Weymouth or Wembley will fit me?

BespokeKiwi

Reaction score
I love my C&J Lowndes, which are on the 348, and I've been a huge fan of the Tetbury as shown on photos etc... Until they were on my feet. They are a bit to sleek to be a chukka IMO. However, I am a size 7, which made them look overly sleek; they may look better proportioned in larger sizes.

Cbfn, the capped toes on the 348 Lowndes last look very sleek.

I think the full lining and the capped toes compliment the small square toes on the 348 last nicely and, arguably, make them less pronounced and obvious than on the unlined and uncapped C&J Milton boots.

BTW, the C&J Milton boots are continuing to grow on me, as I slowly overcome my conservatism and age consciousness.

Prior to ordering my C&J Milton boots, I had intended to order a couple of pairs of C&J Hallam shoes in black and dark brown, which feature capped toes on the 348 last too -- like your C&J Lowndes.

Last edited:

BespokeKiwi

Reaction score
I'm around 6 years or so before my big 50 and I certainly see myself wearing sleek lasts 10+ years from now. I say if you like it and suits your style, go for it!

As for the chukka above, I think the Milton needs a dressier outfit. If you normally wear casual, the Hartland seems like it may be easier to wear.

All the best!

green garden,

I agree with your comment about the C&J Milton's needing a dressier outfit. So, I will reserve them for smart casual / dress use and purchase a pair of C&J Hartland and/or Tetbury suede boots for casual / smart casual use.

Thanks for your words of encouragement!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads