• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

B-Rogue

Reaction score
I already own a pair of Swansea and Northcote and I'm currently looking to get a pair of black C&J shoes. In terms of the sole it has to be either Dainite studded or stormwelted Dainite. The reason for that is that i intend to wear these shoes in winter time too and as far as British weather goes we get 10 days per year sun and 355 days rain (if we get more than 10 days sunshine here it is called a heatwave
lol8[1].gif
) . Do you guys recommend a particular model?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I already own a pair of Swansea and Northcote and I'm currently looking to get a pair of black C&J shoes. In terms of the sole it has to be either Dainite studded or stormwelted Dainite. The reason for that is that i intend to wear these shoes in winter time too and as far as British weather goes we get 10 days per year sun and 355 days rain (if we get more than 10 days sunshine here it is called a heatwave
lol8%5B1%5D.gif
) . Do you guys recommend a particular model?

Shoe or boot, for shoe I will probably pick Dover 2 or Hallam on 348

Dover 2
http://www.crockettandjones.com/Product/Dover-2-Black#.Uf7CdJJwpRY

Hallam
http://www.crockettandjones.com/Product/Hallam-Black-Wax#.Uf7CdpJwpRY

Radstock
http://www.crockettandjones.com/Product/Radstock-Black-E#.Uf7Cd5JwpRY

Last edited:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
oh and where do you live in UK? I was in London for 2 years, didn't think I really need dainite sole all the time

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

This is a pair of Crockett & Jones Audleys that I returned to the factory in Northampton for refurbishment.

The first photo shows the neglected state they were in. The heels were worn right down at the back, and the soles had been worn all the way through to the cork.

The other photos show the shoes after they came back. So what had C&J done?

1. Replaced the cork, welt, soles and heels on the original last. The soles and heels look magnificent - i'm reluctant to walk around in them now!

2. New insoles

4. New laces.

5. Thorough clean, with the patina looking really nice.

The total cost was $250, including shipping from Australia to the UK and back. If you consider that a quality shoe repairer here in Melbourne would probably charge $100 for a full set of soles and heels, this looks like pretty good value. I wouldn't do this for any old shoe, but would certainly consider the exercise for another high-end pair of shoes. in future.

I thought I was in the EG thread for a second. Excellent work

Tuur

Reaction score
I have the exact same experience. Of the C&J shoes I have owned or tried on, most all of them suffer from a low and wide heel area which increases heel slippage. My best-fitting C&J are my Connaughts (236 last), but after 3 years of hard wear they still have som heel slippage in them, countered only by the supreme fit over the forefoot. Carmina Simpson has the same issue. Heel-fit-wise, my Loake Aldwychs are much better by comparison, comparable to my EG Dovers.

Ah, that's interesting. Do you think that when I stay in the same 348-last, but buying a Tetbury chukka f.e., it would reduce heel slippage as a result of the higher heel? After this post I will stop whining about the heel slippage :)

jaywhyy

Reaction score
Okay, I have a problem of international importance. Birthday coming up, and I'm treating myself to my 2nd pair of C&Js. I'm stuck between the Westbourne and the Edgware. I was leaning towards the Edgware, as I already own a captoe. However, the woman prefers the Westbourne as its more balanced (I agree the Westbourne has a much more balanced design). Help me

Last edited:

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Okay, I have a problem of international importance. Birthday coming up, and I'm treating myself to my 2nd pair of C&Js. I'm stuck between the Westbourne and the Edgware. I was leaning towards the Edgware, as I already own a captoe. However, the woman prefers the Westbourne as its more balanced (I agree the Westbourne has a much more balanced design). Help me
I like the Edgware more. BTW, for those who say classic dress shoes aren't comfortable, don't forget the shoe's lifecycle can be very long. My C&J gets so comfortable after first resole, even better than my converse. Just enjoy your shoes guys.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like the Edgware more.

BTW, for those who say classic dress shoes aren't comfortable, don't forget the shoe's lifecycle can be very long. My C&J gets so comfortable after first resole, even better than my converse.

Just enjoy your shoes guys.

Go with the Edgeware. The color is much more versatile and I think an Adelaide cap toe can easily be had in the future.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is a pair of Crockett & Jones Audleys that I returned to the factory in Northampton for refurbishment.

The first photo shows the neglected state they were in. The heels were worn right down at the back, and the soles had been worn all the way through to the cork.

The other photos show the shoes after they came back. So what had C&J done?

1. Replaced the cork, welt, soles and heels on the original last. The soles and heels look magnificent - i'm reluctant to walk around in them now!

2. New insoles

4. New laces.

5. Thorough clean, with the patina looking really nice.

The total cost was $250, including shipping from Australia to the UK and back. If you consider that a quality shoe repairer here in Melbourne would probably charge $100 for a full set of soles and heels, this looks like pretty good value. I wouldn't do this for any old shoe, but would certainly consider the exercise for another high-end pair of shoes. in future.

This is pretty awesome! Do you know if they actually replaced the insode (I know it's kind of hard to tell with the full liner)? The work on the uppers is great, especially with C&J's HG leather! I always wonder if they would do the HG soles in a BG shoe...

B-Rogue

Reaction score

I like the bottom pair more.

B-Rogue

Reaction score
Shoe is preferred. Hallam and Radstock look almost the same. Which one has a more elegant design (i.e. more elongated i suppose I should say)?
oh and where do you live in UK? I was in London for 2 years, didn't think I really need dainite sole all the time

I live in Cheshire and go out quite often in Manchester. Rain over here is guaranteed especially on a Friday and Saturday night.
cloud.gif

Also you can pick up these CJ for RL for cheap, he has bunch lidrick in black calf, instead of dainite, you could topy it I suppose. I find it to be sufficient mos of the time.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/352130/summer-2013-ralph-lauren-by-c-j-thread-marlows-lindricks
Topying is something I have considered but I believe that once applied you can not return your shoes to the factory for refurbishment any more.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hallam is on 348, so definitely more elongated. I never thought about resole by CJ, since I don't live in UK anymore... Too much and takes too long (for me anyway, some would disagree). If topy worn out, you just replace with another rubber, must cobbler got to be able to do that.

rdaws

Reaction score

Go with the Edgeware. The color is much more versatile and I think an Adelaide cap toe can easily be had in the future.

I have the Westbourne in Chestnut, and it's a much darker brown than is in that picture. It photographs pretty differently.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads