** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. philweezer

philweezer Active Member

I got these at the C&J NY store. It is the correct size but it doesn't fit in smoothly. So I'm guessing by everyone's response that the trees are suppose to be uniform.

2. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

I have both colors of the Selborne as well as Hallam in dark brown. The chestnut Selbornes are by far my favorite pair of shoes I own. That said, I wear a lot of dark suits so they're not the most versatile. I like the Hallams less (I really only bought them because I got a great deal) but I probably wear them more.

Another note: I have seven pairs of C&J and I'm very happy with them all, but the hand grade shoes are well worth the extra money. I only wish there were more HG styles that I liked.

3. Tuur

Tuur Well-Known Member

Thanks!

I do have a follow up question. Was their a lot of difference breaking in your Selbourne's as opposed to your Hallam's?

Before I buy my new pair of C&J I have to be sure about size. I bought my Edgware UK8 (true to size) and I have worn them 7-8 days by now. I don't have any fit-problems around the toes. They hurted a little bit at first but now I'm very comfortable in that zone.

At the heel they are not perfectly comfortable yet. I still expierence some heel slip, although it's not a big problem and it doesn't give me blisters. When I'm standing and move my foot as far upfront as I can there is just a little bit of room at the heel, I barely can squeeze a finger between the heel counter and the heel, so normally that fit should be perfect as well. Yet, when I'm wearing the shoes I have the impression that there is a lot of room there (heel slip).

I've read on the internet that the Edgware's are not easy to break in, probably as a result of the stiff leather that is used for these shoes. Would this indeed be the problem? Do you think the shoes are not completely broken in after 7-8 days? Maybe I have to size down (a half a size) on my next C&J? I have to size that when I walk in them the leather still makes that typical sound of stiff leather.

Here is a picture of my shoes. I think the creases are normal and don't give the impression that my shoes are too big nor too small..?

[​IMG]

4. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

if they're comfortable, and you like them, go for it. don't worry about creases, they will happen regardless. Comfort >>> everything else.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013

5. Tuur

Tuur Well-Known Member

Thx, but for the moment they are not 100% comfortable at the heel. I'm trying to figure out if this is caused by the leather that is still rather stiff (I've already worn them for 7-8 days) or is they are a halve a size too big.. I still expierence some heel slip. Isn't the heel counter the stiffest part of the shoe?

6. wurger

wurger Senior member

7. razl

razl Senior member

Thanks for sharing, I learned something new - I had no idea why some of my better shoes had the corner of the heel "notched":

8. wurger

wurger Senior member

to be honest, it's more aesthetics, how long does one's pants need to be caught like that. Probably more useful to prevent the heel corners getting damaged when using the stairs.

9. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Quote:Yeah, if you are stepping on your pants throughout the day, having the corner of the heel shaved off isn't going to save them.

10. razl

razl Senior member

Hmm, I was thinking that it helped when I crossed my legs, but I just did an informal test and that's not it either (crossing my legs hikes the hem up, not down - duh!). Maybe some people put their trousers on after their shoes?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013

11. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Maybe it has to do with the way most people walk? It might reduce stress on the shoe or the wearer's foot, if they push off of the inside when walking, not sure...

Looks like a job for DWFII...

12. garret86

garret86 Member

New to the forum, just want to know when can we have sales on C&J shoes.

Thanks

13. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Usually twice a year: January and June.

14. JubeiSpiegel

I'm still trying to figure this out myself.

Barney's in clearance time (no wide sizes though :( ) and BB during corporate member sale day, that is as all I can think of...

15. JubeiSpiegel

On that note, the BB C&J shoes, I notice they list all sizes in US converted numbers. Does that mean that any E width Peal & Co. shoe would be an equivalent F with in UK size? If so, that gives me some hope in buying some CJs in the future...