** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Oh OK, O definitely feel like the Marlow shortwings have a hefty look.

2. green garden

green garden Senior member

Hi,

I am planning to replace my old AE captoe and would like to venture into English shoes, specifically C&J. I've been trying to learn as much by reading the threads. But I figured why not just ask the experts. Can you guys chime in to what C&J last and/or model I should consider for a black captoe. It'll be used for more formal events where I actualy need to wear a tie (I'm pretty casual at work). My feet are pretty narrow and flat. I measure a 8.5C US in the Brannock device. I wear a AE 8.5C in the PA (5 last).

Again my question is not so much about size but really on last/model that I should look at considering the characteristics of my feet. Thanks in advance for your input.

3. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I think your doing the right thing by focusing on fit, however my advise would be to take a look at other English shoemakers as well before deciding.

Alfred Sargent for one is in the same price range as Crockett & Jones and they are certainly worth considering.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013

4. green garden

green garden Senior member

I indicated C&J in lieu of the thread. However, I appreciate the tip. I will definitely look into Alfred Sargent as well.

Thanks.

5. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

[​IMG]

6. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

The broguing on the side of those shoes make them look like a bizarre sneaker/wingtip hybrid.

10. Tuur

Tuur Well-Known Member

I'm going to buy me a new pair of C&J. For the moment I only have the Edgware's so I'm only just started buying higher end shoes. For my second pair I'd really like the Westbourne's (in Chestnut Burnished Calf) or the Selbourne's (in Chestnut antique Calf). However, I have a new job where I will have to wear suits. My Edgware go perfectly with a navy suit, but what about the Westbourne's or the Selbourne's. Do you think they are too tan for a navy suit?

Should I go for the Hallam instead? They are dark brown as well and will fit perfectly with a navy suit, but they look a lot like the Edgware's that I already have (almost same color). I'd rather buy shoes in a slightly different color.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013

11. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

The burnished chestnut looks a lot darker on the website than in the real life, it's much brighter and has much more depth (maybe looks like a calf ravello) in comparison to the darker red-brown online picture.

12. Tuur

Tuur Well-Known Member

Hmm, probably too tan for a navy suit then..

13. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

Tuur, the edgware is a nice looking shoe with a versatile color. Personally I'd rule out the westbourne and the Hallam as being to similar and kind of boring. Now the Selbourne is something different. With a handgrade shoe you'd really be stepping up your game, especially if you got it in black. You'd be surprised how many men in executive boardrooms don't wear shoes this nice. It all comes down to your personal style, and if the shoes fit well. I've got two pair of the C&J shell cordovan shoes which are similar in colour to your edgwares and work great with my navy suits. They're derby's with double soles, which might not be your thing, but I really like them.

14. Tuur

Tuur Well-Known Member

Thank you for your kind comment. A black Selbourne, hmm. Well, I like brown shoes much better than black ones, but black shoes are versatile and I'll probably have to buy other colors of suits as well (for now, I only have one navy suit that I wear four-five times a year). If I need to wear a suit every day then I'll probably need a charcoal suit as well (among others) and one needs black shoes with such a suit, no? So maybe I should follow your advice and go for versatility.

15. Quantimil

Quantimil Well-Known Member

Burgundy is an excellent companion to charcoal, but black is by far the best in my opinion.