Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Wade

Wade Senior member

the c&j site says there is sale in stores, anyone know how much of a price drop there is?

2. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I have several models on the 341 and 325, and various other lasts, shoes and boots, shell and calf. All are laced, none are slip-ons.

My Peal models and RL models are all US9.5D. My C&J factory models are all UK8.5E.

3. inimitable

inimitable Senior member

IIRC, benchgrades were down to about £270. Some handgrades at about £330 (although might have been seconds, cant remember)

4. Nikos

Nikos Senior member

I do not doubt this, however I asked for the price of Pembroke/Islay/Skye from one of their London stores a couple of days ago, and there seemed to be no discount at all. They quoted the exact same prices as Pediwear and other online stores.

5. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Pembroke/Islay/Skye are typically stock, sales are predominantly on discontinued, seasonal, or seconds. They don't have blanket sales on all their styles. I think the sale is also over, no? The sale in NYC ended 2 weeks ago I think.

6. Nikos

Nikos Senior member

In that case, I guess it only makes sense if you visit the store.
    It seems to be on, for Europe at least.

[​IMG]

7. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

It's still on. I emailed one of the Jermyn St stores to see what HG they had available in my size (8.5 UK). I don't have details because I wasn't interested in the results - Portman in brown (already own), Brunswick in black (don't do Derbies), Grenville in tan (tempted but not really a whole cut fan), and Marston in chestnut (don't do loafers).

8. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Do they sell to US costumer by chance? Or do they insist you contact the NY C&J store?

Edit: I just emailed them, so we will see i guess...

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013

9. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

Most of my C&J I've bought from the Jermyn St store - both in person and via mail. When the latter they deduct VAT and ship Parcel Force (so no customs fees). I've been pretty happy with their service and responsiveness; they even installed toe plates in my last order (Selbournes in black and chestnut). I still don't understand why they don't have an e-commerce platform but none f the British shoemakers seem to.

10. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

You can order from them. Each store actually carries a specific inventory of C&J so it's easier ot contact each of them directly and find out what they have in your size. It's interesting that C&J stores across the pond are on sale and I was told by SA in NYC a couple weeks ago it was the last day (which has been consistent with the timeframe of sales of C&J, JLP, etc.). I wonder if inventory has not been moving as quickly and they've had to extend their sales. Anyway, haven't posted for show and tell in a while: [​IMG]

11. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Just as an update, UK store promptly responded. In my 10.5G UK size, they had the following:

Finsbury Black £241.67
    Dartmouth Black £250
    Draycott Black £241.67
    Merton Black £241.67

I was told VAT was already taken out on those prices. I wish I was tempted, just reached my black shoe quota, but hope someone can use this info.

12. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Decent C&J PSA:

C&J for Richard James: Free shipping + VAT deduction for outside-of-EU countries.

They're made to benchgrade standards but with channeled soles (so somewhere in-between bench and handgrade?).

The total price comes out considerably cheaper than BB C&J ($450 compared to $650).

http://www.richardjames.co.uk/shoes/fw020-0104.html

Thanks to Stephen at Malford of London for info on the quality of the shoes.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013

13. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

I have a question about C&J outsoles. I have 2 pairs (Westbournes and BB Peal monk straps) that I have owned for about 8 months and see wear about once a week each. It seems to me that recently, the shoes have become much more slippery than they have been in the past. I slide all over the place in the marble-floored entrance to my building. I even slip a little on dry pavement sometimes. I have other pairs of Alden and C&J both older and newer, and have never experienced this on any of those shoes. Has anyone else had this problem?

14. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Honestly have no idea but maybe your building just started waxing the floors better? A long shot is that the hot/humid weather is affecting the moisture of the floor... maybe it's a conspiracy? :tinfoil:

I do find my C&J shoes to be dangerous on marble flooring. The hospitals I work in are waxed REGULARLY and I am guaranteed to slip with my C&J; less slippage occurs with my other shoes (EG, AS, G&G, etc.). In my situation, my guess is the nails used in the heels are the culprit though.

Hint: walk slower indoors...

15. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Quote:Well, it sounds like you and I have similar experiences walking on marble floors in C&Js then. I don't have this problem with the other makers I own (AE and Alden).