** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

+1million; was initially after them when looking for a chukka but they don't fit me T_T

2. andreasky

andreasky Well-Known Member

Hi, how do you compare C&J Handgrade with Vass?

3. chogall

chogall Senior member

vass is better made but not as accessible and suffers from sizing inconsistencies. c&j has better international distribution channels and a very decent shoes for its price.

4. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

I agree that Vass is better made. However it is not overly difficult to find the right size, consider I got my vass right first time.

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  5. meister

meister Senior member

Vass is handmade. Big difference. Not to knock my beautiful hand grades BTW.

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  6. andreasky

andreasky Well-Known Member

Are there sales of Crockett and Jones in summer (online, London shops)? Thanks.

7. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

To anyone's knowledge what are the substantive differences between a handmade cordovan shoe like a Vass, and a Goodyear welted shoe from C&J? Which is more comfortable and would last longer? chogall and others have stated that Vass are better made, but better made how? The closest I've come to handmade were two pair of plain toe derby's from Church's, one black and one brown, both in calfskin, lined in red leather with red soles. Hey, it was the eighties. They carved wood lasts of my feet and charged me what was at the time a fortune. Of course in the passing of years my feet have expanded and I can no longer pretend to wear them let alone get them on.

8. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

^
    Try chatting with DWFII as well, he will have a more extensive answer on the subject.
    :lurk:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  9. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

The term "better" is tricky because there are too many variables. From what I have read, the construction will be the biggest factor: handmade shoes will maintain the shape when resoled and there is no concern about the "gemming" issue; however, these previous concerns may be alleviated if the shoes are sent back to be resoled with the original last/manufacturer. I have both handmade and GYW shoes and both serve me well. I am not bothered much that one is better/inferior than the other since they serve their purpose, look well, and last a long time. I walk about 3+ miles daily on my shoes and none have failed me.

10. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

RL by C&J Lindrick: [​IMG]

11. BeSpiffington

Thank you sir for the heads up. Maybe the good gentleman will avail us all of his expertise. I am loath to pm somebody with a superfluous inquiry on the weekend. What kind of people want to chat about shoes on a Saturday morning? Really!

12. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

a boot maker, though I think you should do a search. As per his opinion anything besides hand welt is inferior, to him Goodyear welt is again a mass manufacturing technique (I don't disagree). I personally have not found gemming an issue, and I walk a lot as well.

13. BeSpiffington

Those look great. You can't stop a man who is well rested, well fed, and well shod.

14. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

JS... I already have a hard time keeping up with threads...

15. BeSpiffington

A boot maker.That's so cool. I understand the anything less than opinion. I also know that a person needs a pair of shoes, but the people need a lot more.Thank you Charles Goodyear, Jr. People say both types, handmade and Goodyear welted, perform well. What I'm asking is the shoes construction a matter of aesthetics and personal taste? A Mercedes is nice, but a Toyota will get you to your destination just as well. Am I asking the wrong questions? When I search for handmade shoes online everyone says theirs are the best. It's hard to find a cobbler anymore who has his own shop and who will "make you a good pair of shoes" from the best materials that cost what they cost and will be ready when their done.