** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

No objection to this advice. Also, just use neutral if you do not want to risk a color change.

2. DmitryKP

DmitryKP Member

Good morning!

I want to buy the 348th block. What size to choose?
    the block 337 at a rate of 7 is almost ideal. Only a heel at me very narrow. Therefore in a heel on width it is very free. But in a sock on width end-to-end.
    the block 341 at a rate of 7 draws in. In a heel and on the center for width it is excellent. But in a sock on width presses a little finger.

3. griffon_id

griffon_id Senior member

Thanks for your advise, I will bring my pair of shoe to the shop for color matching.

4. Frank the sheep

Frank the sheep Senior member

I use Cognac for my chestnut shoes.

5. eith

eith Member

I am looking to purchase my first C&J pair of shoes and would appreciate some input. I currently have four pair of AE (harrison in black, LaSalle in Chilli, Flatiron in Bourbon, Carlsbad in Walnut). Thinking my next purchase should be a darker brown that will go with a touch more casual than suits; Wide range of slacks (tan, grey, etc.) with blazers, could work with casual khakis or possibly even jeans. Something versatile.

Thanks,

6. Henkie

Henkie Active Member

You may not know it yet, but you are looking for suede chukka's. Trust me, you are.

7. niklasnordin

niklasnordin Senior member

Chukkas are great.
    My chepstows are my most used shoes. Recently bought a pair of Carmina chukkas as well from skoaktiebolaget. Also really great shoes.
    I noticed that none of the ones you mentioned are chukkas, so you're missing out imo :)

chepstow or brecon if you like grained leather, otherwise a tetbury if you want the sleeker look.

dont agree on the suede though, but that's entirely personal preference.

or have you considered monks maybe?

8. eith

eith Member

Never had suede, would it be too hot for summer?

9. eith

eith Member

Other than the ones listed I have some cole Hahn loafers but trying to step up. I tried on some AE monks,did like them

10. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Allen Edmonds chili belts are almost identical in color to the Chestnut finish. The Wide Basic Dress belt is more casual than the name suggests. They also have some with brogueing on them, if you are into that.

11. Henkie

Henkie Active Member

I guess I live in a colder climate than you do, as I never wondered about something like that before...

12. theundeadkennedy

theundeadkennedy Senior member

Thanks for guiding me to that. That color is a very nice match. I actually found a good belt for wearing with denim here

http://www.orionleathercompany.com/...ather-Belt-p/40mmshchsntdhobl7287nkscwpst.htm

When I'm reay for an alternative belt to use with chinos or other non denims I'll look back at the Allen Edmonds. Thanks again!

13. plato

plato Senior member

A little Marlow appreciation. Pics are from the girlfriend's cousin's wedding a couple weekends back. One with flash, one without. Navy suit and Marlows for me, suede navy shoes and navy dress for the lady. Shoes stood up to all day abuse and polished up good as new afterward.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. eith

eith Member

Will be mid 90's and humid before long here in Atlanta

15. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Dmitry, I wear the same size in both the 337 and 348 lasts.

However, the 348 last feels a little more narrow. As a result, some people might go up by half a size. For example, if you take a size 7 on the 337 last, you might wear a size 7.5 on the 348 last. This might not suit everyone, though, as the 348 last is also quite long and so going up half a size might make the shoes too long. It really depends upon what your particular feet are like as to whether the 348 last will suit you or not.