1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. B-Rogue

B-Rogue Well-Known Member

True to their word the Burlington Arcade store sent the shoes on time and they arrived first thing Friday morning. Absolutely gorgeous.

[​IMG]

I wore the Swanseas on Friday night and I was surprised how comfortable they were. I was expecting them to be quite stiff considering that it was the first time I wore them. I did apply a layer of Saphir Renovateur and a layer of Neutral Pommadier Cream before wearing them. I do not intend to use the Neutral often but it was the only thing I had.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013

2. TehBunny

TehBunny Distinguished Member

Shit dw thought the leather issue wasn't solved

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013

3. erbs

erbs Senior Member

I'm a US 11D in the Marlow wingtip. What would my UK Belgrave size be?

4. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Distinguished Member

I wear the Marlow in US9.5D. All my C&J's on various lasts are UK8.5E.

5. Ilovelobbs

Ilovelobbs Senior Member

Most probably a UK 10 E -

all my Crocketts are UK 9.5 E
    and in US 10.5 D

6. theundeadkennedy

theundeadkennedy Senior Member

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good sturdy, casual belt that would pair nicely with chestnut Skyes? Thanks!

7. david3558

david3558 Senior Member

Alright, I finally got a chance to try on some extra Crockett and Jones shoes, here are my thoughts. First of all, can someone confirm that the stock that Barneys NYC carries, since it is marked in US sizing, does that translate as them adding "1" to the corresponding UK sizing?

236: UK 8E
    Tried on the Connaught at J.Crew Men's Shop here in Boston. I don't remember exactly how they fit, but they are a lot narrower on the foot than when just sitting around. I really like the shape of this last, and the fit was quite good. The toebox was a little narrow.

341: 8.5D (Is this 7.5UK equivalent?)
    Threw on the Sydeny at Barneys. Now, they were one sexy pair of loafers. The 341 worked very, very well for me. They look sharp (no pun intended), and worked well for my feet. I have lower archers, low volume feet, with low insteps. These guys worked well for me! I would get these loafers if I had the money :happy:

360: 8.5D (Is this 7.5UK equivalent?)
    Tried on the Malton at Barneys. Fantastic, not a bad fit at all, especially with my low instep, I was surprised they worked well. As with all C&J, I don't expect them to be roomy lasts like Alden but this worked pretty well for me.

348: 8.5D (Is this 7.5UK equivalent?)
    These are a really popular last, they look great. In fact the Hallams I posted to start this thread off were in UK8, which is what I expected to wear. Unfortunately, they were too long. Getting to try them on in UK7.5 showed that it was crowding my toes but even worse, the instep was so high that it caused the sides of the shoe to bow out when I flexed the soles. :embar: Definitely not a good fit for me here.

RL Marlow Wingtip (325): 8.5D (Is this 7.5UK equivalent?)
    Surprisingly snug fit throughout the shoe. The heel is a tad wide and is a bit narrow through the toebox. Call me crazy, but I like having snug shoes on. It was quite tight at first but after my foot settled, that took care of the problems. :nodding:

Just some other information in case others wanted to know:

• Brannock Sizing - 9D
    • Alden Barrie - 8.5D
    • Alden Trubalance - 8.5D
    • Alden Plaza - 9D
    • Alden Leydon - 9E
    • Alden Tremont - 8.5D

8. gettoasty

gettoasty Stylish Dinosaur

Good information.

9. david3558

david3558 Senior Member

You're welcome - obviously this may vary from person to person. My roommate does the Barrie in US 7D and he was able to get away with UK 6.5... in other words he just took his normal sizing for UK.

10. griffon_id

griffon_id Senior Member

Can anyone advise on the Saphir shoe cream color that I should apply on my chestnut burnished Westbourne? Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

11. mr monty

mr monty Distinguished Member

chestnut and if needed rotate using brown every 4th or 5 th shine.

12. griffon_id

griffon_id Senior Member

Thanks. But I cannot locate any Saphir shoe cream in "Chestnut" color, are there any colors close to it?

13. clee1982

clee1982 Distinguished Member

have you tried tetbury, its also on 348 but feels roomier on the toe.

14. david3558

david3558 Senior Member

That'd be awesome, but I find it weird that the shoe bows out like that, must be the high instep not being filled up?

15. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Senior Member

Honestly, it's not that important as long as it's close enough. If you'd rather keep the colour as is, use a shade close to your variation of chestnut. To gradually develop a darker patina (my preference by a country mile), use darker shades.