1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

C&J's 341 last is one of my favorites. I'm on the whiskey MTO as well and one big factor was the 341 last. When I first tried on the Harlechs (in TTS), I thought the toe area might pinch a bit since they looked sleeker and pointier than what I'm used to. But I find they work really well for my feet. I don't find the heel too roomy but I have narrow heels so I wouldn't mind if the 325 heel area is a bit narrower.

1 person likes this.
  2. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

+1

1 person likes this.
  3. Somatic

Somatic Senior member

Hmm... Mine seem to be stitched to the upper just behind the first lace. How is yours done?

And what shoe trees do you guys all use? $80 for each C&J shoe tree is a bit more than I was expecting. I only have an Alden shoe tree, but are they similarly shaped?

4. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I use Alden split toe shoe trees in nearly all my C&Js, shoes and boots.

5. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

I use 'em in my 348 last and handgrade shoes. The other benchgrade, Barneys, RL, BB, etc. I just use Woodlore Epics.

6. dcinitial

dcinitial Senior member

I use regular woodlore ones but i was thinking of upgrading to Epics soon.

Also, Gianni's in a 10.5 (or I can exchange for a size on the RL site) for sale. Selling for a little under their recent sale price. PM me if interested.

7. mnnse

mnnse New Member

I've been looking for a #8 shell balmoral boot. I'm a big an of the EG Epsom, so maybe something with a contrast shaft. Kent Wang has a burg Balmorl boot[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  8. Racove

Racove Senior member

Let me know if any of those Conistons from the Barney's sale don't work out for you. 8.5 or 9 US size.

9. stevent

stevent Senior member

If you haven't already, use style number online and call a store, there should still be stock in stores

1 person likes this.
  10. Racove

Racove Senior member

Good idea. Geez, I know better than this. So.. I'm a US 9 or say 8.5D Alden Barrie... the consensus is to size down 1/2 to 7.5UK/8.5US ?

11. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

General consensus is 1 full size down from your US tts to get the UK size. So you'd want 8E UK in the Coniston. I.e., go tts for the Coniston.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  12. chipshot

chipshot Senior member

Very glad to hear this 7fold and Boots! Thanks for the response.. 341 is slightly longer than 325 so I think that helps with the narrower last. I also think all three of us have narrow heels. Low volume feet are mine .. So I am told. You guys have a good Holiday BTW!

13. DoctorHolliday

DoctorHolliday Well-Known Member

Got the Conistons from Barneys sale today. They are smooth leather (not scotch grain) and darkerish brown not tan. Figured they would be a little different after I actually read the description post order. Oh Well. Will be returning. Was a nice price to take a shot at.

14. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

^ Can you tell me the size? I may be interested. Thanks.

15. DoctorHolliday

DoctorHolliday Well-Known Member

16. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

My Barneys Conistons arrive tomorrow. I'm hoping they're keepers. If they look like they're on the 341 last, then I may have a hard time keeping them as although they're calf, they'll look too much like my Harlechs. If they're on the 325, then the bulkier, beefier toe box might justify me keeping them. And this is especially if the dark brown is close to the color of their dark brown shell.

17. Edmund K

Edmund K Senior member

I agree..... I think scotch grain looks better on this boot...

18. Somatic

Somatic Senior member

Speaking of which... anyone here own Conistons and are willing to supply beautiful pictures? :)

19. soender

soender Well-Known Member

No picture can justify the smooth lines and color of a Coniston irl. Save up and buy a pair. Don't look back.

20. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Senior member

Pics of mine are dotted throughout this thread...