** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

All of these comments are pretty much right. Peal is only made in England. Used to be AS and C&J (I have some of both), but I haven't seen any AS lately.

It's a pretty safe bet that anything under $500 is Loake, and anything over $600 is C&J. But C&J raised their prices recently, so there are some older C&J models that are still at $548. Those at $528, not quite sure about, but I'd guess they are newer Loake.

And then last year they had some Church's, although I am not 100% certain they were branded as Peal. They were easy to tell, though, because they had the trademark Church's shiny corrected leather.

Unfortunately, the website does not show the soles of all the shoes anymore, so it's sometimes hard to tell. If you see them in person, C&J has the last written in script inside the shoe, so that's one way to tell. And you can usually match up the shoes on the C&J website from the pictures.

Just few years ago, when they were all made by AS and C&J, there were some tremendous bargains when they went on sale. I think those days are gone.

2. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013

3. WiredandTired

WiredandTired Senior member

I was always under the assumption that they were the C&J Lowndes. I've been eyeing those double monks as well in the brown. They certainly look very nice.

There are new spectators up for brooks brothers gatsby collection. Wonder if they are C&J too.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/The-G...var_MH00324_Color=WHIT&contentpos=9&cgid=0522

4. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

I'll bet those are C&J. Look at the nail pattern on the sole here:

http://www.crockettandjones.com/Product/Gerrard-3-Black-And-White#.UXHfN7WLaCU

5. Hermitedge

Hermitedge Senior member

Yea, from my understanding, a single nail pattern from Peal denotes CJ, and the double nail pattern is AS.

Also, I think the double strap monk from BB is the CJ Lowndes, but a confirmation would be nice. It looks real nice in the brown, as well as the suede. Are there any comparable double monks in that range or close other than Carmina?

6. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Senior member

AS has the Ramsay double monk is to the same standards and has a closed channel sole. It's approximately the same price, I would think. AFPOS has a lot of different configurations. Two custom to them, including whiskey shell and brown suede and leather.

7. Ian L

Ian L Senior member

Remembered a folk asked the double monk days ago. I'd say no they're not Lowndes. Lowndes have chisel but the peal ones have round toe.

And for me, the things written inside of shoes can tell origin. Most ones made by AS have last number+width shown inside, like "87D", "89D", while CJ labels... the lasts we keep discussing here…

8. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

How do you size these beauties? 1 size down from US size? I hear the last is quite narrow though.

9. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

I seem to recall when those first showed up on the BB site, those were actually labeled as C&J.
    I don't think they're Lowndes though.

People should keep in mind a few things.
    1. Not all C&J have the markings inside hand written. Recent ones from Barney's are printed.
    2. C&J don't always have the last written on them. The recent ones from Barney's don't. I've got other pairs of BBBF C&J with hand written markings and no last.
    3. The C&J nail pattern is very similar to the higher grade Grenson pattern. BBBF has used Grenson. I don't know there are Peal Grenson.

10. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

I went down 1 full size (UK 6E and I am a US 7D). The 341 is a traditional last and I personally find the width to be more generous compared to the 348. I would say the 341 felt like the 337 when it comes to width.

11. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

12. griffon_id

griffon_id Senior member

Hello all, I would like to seek advise on the Saphir polish cream color matching with my dark brown antique Audley and chestnut burnished Westbourne. Should I go for medium brown or dark brown for my Audley? And for the chestnut burnished, I am no idea whether I should go for Burgundy, Mahogany, Hermes Red or others? Can somebody help? Thanks.

13. alexSF

alexSF Senior member

These are C&J, the last is visibly the signature 240 used for Peal, medallion is also used for other C&J -Peal models

The double monks are C&J too, 99% based on the Lowndes on the same last

500£ for the Cottesmore? :wow: 100£ more than Coniston

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013

14. LC Nielsen

LC Nielsen Member

Hey, I just got my first pair of quality shoes a few days ago - a pair of chestnut(ish) C&J.

After walking in them for a few hours each day to wear them in, I decided to apply the wax polish that came with it. I polished them up to a decent gloss (not quite the mirror shine I like, but a decent gloss), but I noticed that the finish easily flaked off at any point of stress, or any point where I'd polished a bit more. I don't have any brown shoe polish at home, though I've ordered it.

Right now they look... pretty patchy. Is this normal? Should I just polish with brown shoe polish all over? Or should I use mineral spirits or something to strip the rest of the finish off before polishing? Or is this a manufacturing error, should I go back with them? I live quite a bit away from my shoemaker who ordered them for me, so I'm asking around first.

Here's a picture:

[​IMG]

Thanks.

15. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Alex: yeah, they're the most expensive HG that is not shell I believe. However, the leather uppers are much better than any of my other BG leathers. They actually feel like the HG uppers.