1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Oh, okay thanks for that it makes sense. Can't understand then why they would go through the factory shop...

2. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Senior member

You're correct, Crat.

Tricker's still use that system for marking width, although these days they only do 5 and 6 (wide) on their regular models. If you look at older models you will sometimes come across 4s and, more rarely, 7s.

That stamp is a good way of identifying a shoe as C&J although not foolproof...

3. Jim Profit

Jim Profit Senior member

The Chelsea 5 is regular calf skin NOT waxed.

4. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

Despite what the website says?

Description

Chelsea 5, a Chelsea boot made from fine quality waxed leathers for added water resistance and Dainite rubber soles. From the Men's Main Collection.

Probably best if the C&J rep could chime in and clarify. It seems like there's frequently some confusion about their terminology (e.g. the antique Nubuck on Tetbury's has no nap and looks much more like regular calfskin).

5. Jim Profit

Jim Profit Senior member

Strange i have two pair and mine is not waxed. But mine is old and i have stripped them many times. But i cant recall them ever being waxed.

6. thinman

thinman Senior member

I honestly don't know why C&J calls the leather on the Tetbury's "antique nubuck". I own two pairs and treat them like regular calfskin, whereas other "nubuck" shoes I own look like suede with a very short nap, just enough to give a matte finish. The oldest of the two pairs of Tetburys' has developed a nice patina.

7. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

Agreed. I'm wearing my black Tetbury's today (they're my rain shoes and it's drizzling here in DC) and if I didn't know better I would consider them no different than my other calf shoes.

8. njaflo

njaflo Member

Please, what last on ะก&J Derwent boots ?

9. dotcomzzz

dotcomzzz Senior member

nice. are these even made anymore?

10. eddiemczee

eddiemczee Senior member

Finally took my brand new pair of Crockett & Jones Islays out on their maiden voyage. Here's some photos I took before I wore them:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also wrote about some history of scotch grain here for the curious.

This is my second pair of Crockett & Jones after a pair of Ralph Lauren Marlows and love them. I think eventually I would like to get a pair of Chelsea 8's. Can anyone recommend what size I should get in the 341 last? I went with a US size 7.5 with the Marlowes and 7.0 UK with the Islays.

5 people like this.
  11. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Looking v good. Wear in good health. Pics wearing em to follow? Be good to see your shoe sock pant combo with those beauties.

12. gopherblue

gopherblue Senior member

I just learned that C&J has stopped stocking my width except in one shoe (the Radstock) and one color (black). I have a pair of brown Westfields in 10.5 C (UK size), and would love to get a pair in a lighter brown/chestnut. I'd also like to get a pair of brown wingtips. Do I have any options now?

13. cazone

cazone Active Member

thx!

I don't know for sure.
    But I don't think so.

Mine are like (even better) new now.
    :)

c*

14. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

Your history of scotch grain is interesting and well worth reading. You have a wonderful blog.

1 person likes this.
  15. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

1 person likes this.
  16. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Wearing my Islays today in the wet MI weather...

I wear the same size in the 365 and the 341. Note that the 365 is really generous since it is a boot last.

17. Somatic

Somatic Senior member

18. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

I actually really like that Highbury in brown, but they are out of my size (UK9). I think I'm sort of striking out. Conistons aren't in my size either. Suede Hallams are (and I already have black Hallams) but I was sort of shopping for bluchers, I have too many balmorals as it is. Kinda was hoping the Islays would be included but it looks like they are already out of my size anyway.

19. Somatic

Somatic Senior member

That's a bummer. :(

Going to wait to see them in person, but is Barney's Coniston a unique color? Hmm...

20. RRRR

RRRR New Member

Currently I have a Connaught black size 8E (last 236). It's a perfect fit for me.

Unfortunately there are not many other options in the last.

I like the Westbourne (last 348) in chestnut. If I were to buy it would it be tight for me? There is no store near my place to try it out.