• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^The widths at the widest point are about the same at their widest (outsole). The length of the 337 is only 1/8" smaller between 9.5(337) and 10(341), but on my feet there is a noticeable difference with the 341 feeling noticeably larger.

You may be able to take the same size as your Belgrave. If the Westfields were a 9.5, I would be in Heaven.

Thanks. The suede westfields may be calling my name.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi All, Crockett & Jones has never posted on the official C&J thread before and after getting "very positive" permission from the administrators of SF, we have decided to join in, but only a little... We are not here to detract from what SF does best as it is great to see so many customers discussing the brand in what seems to be a very positive way 99% of the time. We will also not offer opinions to discussions as the choice of a shoe is a personal one. All we intend on doing is putting incorrect facts straight so to ensure the content on SF actually adds value to anyone reading it. For example (on this page): Our Factory Shop is never on sale and 348 is indeed one of our most popular lasts, but this is a Main Collection last, not Hand Grade. Crockett & Jones is as genuine as a company can get and we are pleased to read to many positive comments. Thanks again for your continued support. Crockett & Jones.
Question regarding recrafts: When shell cordovan footwear are sent for recrafting/refurbishing, is it possible to treat the shell cordovan uppers to the original dark brown color?

Barrister

Reaction score
Is the lacing on oxfords on the 337 last supposed to close completely? Here is a picture of my Audley with a visible V-shaped opening.

I measure 11B/C with one foot slightly bigger than the other, but I suspect that my foot volume is actually greater than indicated by the sizing due to quite high arches and little fingers sticking out. This shoe is UK 9.5E on 337 and it initially felt tight in the vamp under the tongue. After wearing them around the house a bit they start to feel more comfortable in the vamp, but I doubt I will be able to close the V much more.

I am on the lookout for a few more pairs on the 337 last, but naturally I want to make sure I don't keep buying misfitting shoes. Should I be concerned about the V-shaped lacing or is this part of the design? Are there other C&J lasts or shoe manufacturers that would suit me well?

Please no comments on the color choice, I needed a pair of black cap toes.

Lacing on bals in general should be in a shallow "V" shape, just as yours are, suggesting the appropriate width. Looks perfect.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is the lacing on oxfords on the 337 last supposed to close completely? Here is a picture of my Audley with a visible V-shaped opening. I measure 11B/C with one foot slightly bigger than the other, but I suspect that my foot volume is actually greater than indicated by the sizing due to quite high arches and little fingers sticking out. This shoe is UK 9.5E on 337 and it initially felt tight in the vamp under the tongue. After wearing them around the house a bit they start to feel more comfortable in the vamp, but I doubt I will be able to close the V much more. I am on the lookout for a few more pairs on the 337 last, but naturally I want to make sure I don't keep buying misfitting shoes. Should I be concerned about the V-shaped lacing or is this part of the design? Are there other C&J lasts or shoe manufacturers that would suit me well? Please no comments on the color choice, I needed a pair of black cap toes.
No need to be apologetic about black shoes in general or black captoes specifically. Everyone who wears professional business dress needs at least one black captoe bal IMO.

johnH123

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the best option C&J offers for a plain black captoe? I want something sleek, but still classic enough to be used through the full gauntlet of suit-wearing occasions. I can count on one finger how many times I need a suit in a year, so I need something versatile yet clean and basic.

SloopyNoob

Reaction score
What's the best option C&J offers for a plain black captoe? I want something sleek, but still classic enough to be used through the full gauntlet of suit-wearing occasions. I can count on one finger how many times I need a suit in a year, so I need something versatile yet clean and basic.
How about Hallam?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How about Hallam?

+1 - either the Hallam on the 348 last from the Benchgrade range, or the Audley on the 337 last from the Handgrade range.

CandJONLINE

Reaction score
Hi mate,
I have 4 pairs of c&j shells. 1 pairs of Bradford and 3 pairs Rl Marlows. I have noticed they gets lighter with age and develop light spots on different places on different shoes(not uniform). They are like raw denim. Like buying 2 pairs of shoes at once.......gets lighter and you don't really know how it will look after a while. And I like the dark look as much as I like the lighter look. Don't get me wrong I love them all but just wondering if there any thing that I am missing. I have few other shell by other makers who uses a finish on their shell and they don't seem to have this issue.

regs
Ash
Good morning, without seeing the shoes, it is very difficult to comment. So with a pinch of salt... It could be the product you are using to clean them or it could be that the shells themselves are darker today than they were 4 years ago or it could be sun damage... Years of wear will slowly take the colour out of the shoes as with most natural materials.

You can always send them back to our factory via a retail shop to have them re-darkened although I think think they look great after 4 years of wear.

Hope this helps and glad to hear your enjoying our shoes.

Calikid

Reaction score
Good morning, without seeing the shoes, it is very difficult to comment. So with a pinch of salt... It could be the product you are using to clean them or it could be that the shells themselves are darker today than they were 4 years ago or it could be sun damage... Years of wear will slowly take the colour out of the shoes as with most natural materials.

You can always send them back to our factory via a retail shop to have them re-darkened although I think think they look great after 4 years of wear.

Hope this helps and glad to hear your enjoying our shoes.
I for one love the fact that someone from C&J contribute to this thread. Just another example of great customer service from this great brand

Hermitedge

Reaction score
Does anyone have any casual wear shots of the BB Cordovan captoe boot by C&J?

CandJONLINE

Reaction score
Just a question for the C&J representative in this thread. Will the Granada be available only in C&H stores or will it be available to other retailers?

Thanks.
Granada is an MTO style that is run in UK and NY Crockett & Jones retail.

dijor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CandJONLINE do you recommend the same size for 337 as 358 last?

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Snowday: Pembroke
8540544448_cfcc53dc51.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads