1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. beez

beez Senior member

I received my first pair of C&J, all the way to the US from England. These Weymouths are totally beautiful. Unfortunately, they are a half size too big! Man, what a disappointment! These babies are kind of hard to find, so I am hoping I can work something out quickly.

I wear an 11D in AE Strands, and David and I at Pediwear figured a 10.5E would do the trick, but no dice; still too big.

It's tough to see such a great example of workmanship just sitting there...

2. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

It's a bit odd that he recommended that you go down half-a-size. I think that most people (well, certainly me) go down a full size in C&Js. I'm a US10 and I take a UK9 in the 348 (benchgrade) and 337 (handgrade) lasts.

3. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Senior member

Cheers! Think I've had them just short of three years, great pair of boots and pretty rare too - think they only did the Arran in rough-out for one season, or something like that.

Definitely agree that shoes with character are what you want; all nice things should age well with wear and minimal but proper care and that includes well-made clothes, footwear, furniture and our good selves [​IMG]

4. wurger

wurger Senior member

I guess he wanted to error on the larger side, and I also find C&J is a more roomy shoe on the same size compare to my other UK shoes.

5. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Senior member

From my personal experience (so not applicable to everyone!), C&J and JL are 1 size down from US, while EG and G&G are 1/2 size down. I've never really had any variations in sizing between lasts within a shoemaker.

6. alexSF

alexSF Senior member

They are Benchgrade level almost for sure, these are the Wilton I ordered last winter (after one size exchange I ended up returning them due to fit reasons)

[​IMG]

Maybe the only difference would be a more open quality control, the second pair I received honestly did not look like first quality, due to a weird crease in the side caused by lasting problem.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  7. CandJONLINE

CandJONLINE Well-Known Member

Hi, No, we do not mix widths when sending lines of shoes around the factory.

For fitting enquiries about Peal & Co shoes, you will need to speak to Brooks Brother. All we can confirm is that we only really supply D fitting shoes to US customers. You will however still find UK sizing in our own store in New York.

8. md2010

md2010 Senior member

c&j can't be roomier than loake .
    I am a us 8eee and struggle with c&j sizing. uk 8 (medium or wide) in c&j is my safest option. Same with carmina I wear uk8. Loake i can fit into a uk7 - but prefer a uk 7.5.

9. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

Great to hear! BTW, I asked before ordering and they said the US site calculates the US size for C&Js as UK +.5, not UK+1. Since I knew I wanted a UK9 I ordered a US9.5 and in the comments section made sure to specify that I wanted a UK9. They confirmed that they shipped a UK9.

10. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Hold on, does this mean a Peal Co E width is not equivalent to a CJ F width then?!

If you only make UK D width shoes for BB, is a Peal Co E width shoe simply your CJ E width as well? :confused:

11. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Hi C&J,

Can you confirm the discussion above about the Shipton and Hineage shoes? Are they made to regular benchgrade standards, or lower?

Thanks!

12. rc121

rc121 Senior member

that's what I've been trying to tell you jubei, as i had a hunch the peal and co I tried on in E width was a UK E so a standard US D. At least this confirms it.

13. JubeiSpiegel

I was hoping the info BB provided me was correct, but if it's coming direct from the horse's mouth per say, can't argue that.

I'll be trying on the pair this week, I'll see how the E width 341 last fits at least... :(

14. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

Which online shop can you recommend for buying C&J within the EU?

15. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Bench or handgrade?

If handgrade, contact Peter Johnston. They have handgrades cheaper than anywhere else I've seen.

16. JubeiSpiegel

On that note, can CJ or anyone let me know if BB Peal Co shoes are indeed a full size different in US sizing when converted? Thanks...

17. Isbister

Isbister Senior member

Why don't you try googling? Quite a few places sell them - Pediwear have a few, as do Bodileys and I suspect the Shoehealer does as well.

18. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

I have tried googling but I was not satisfied with the results.
    Am looking for a pair of Belgrave in chestnut in UK6.

Is Peter Johnston a member of this board or where can I contact him?

19. inimitable

inimitable Senior member

Call one of the UK shops and get them shipped to you.

http://www.crockettandjones.com/WhereToBuy#GB

20. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

What do handgrades run at in the UK?
    GBP 465?
    There is a shop in Germany which sells them for 510€