** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Senior member

Your call on the colour; too many people on here get too het up over which colour to use on shoes and boots. For what it'a worth, I tend to use burgundy or dark brown cream.

I wax my Islays so tend not to bother with wax polish - you can get a mirror shine on waxed leather but it will often smear. Plus, I'm not convinced that a mirror shine on grained leather actually looks that good.

2. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Rubber sole?

I should say my Islays are one of my foul weather boots so I don't really dress them up. During the heavy winter/snow season I typically put a couple coats of SnoSeal then a final layer of some Kiwi brown wax polish (I know it is overkill but it does the job in winter). The rest of the year I typically grab whatever cream polish I have and use them and then wax. I use leather cleaner occasionally when they get dirty. Saphir products are great but I typically use them on my smart shoes.

3. S K M

S K M Senior member

Thanks a lot! Agree that a mirror shine won't look good. In fact I don't opt for a mirror shine on any of my shoes, sticking to the saying that "a gentleman's shoes should be like the gentleman himself: shining, but not flashy"

4. meister

meister Senior member

Bontoni?

5. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

What are the thoughts on the C&J Shannon? I'm debating between the Tetbury chukka and Shannon boot.

6. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

What does the C&J Shannon look like?

7. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Nice short country boot. Tetbury is sleeker so I guess it comes to your preference and what look you are going for. Tetbury is also on Dianite.

8. phorm

phorm Well-Known Member

gotta agree

9. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

Does anyone happen to own the Alex? My experience so far has been limited to Edward Green, Alden, and Allen Edmonds. The later two I feel are really difficult to compare to cj. I am considering going with the bench grade as upping to a handgrade is simply too expensive for what the shoe is. I am looking to purchase the black wholecut bal to be used for weddings etc. It won't likely occupy too much time in my rotation. What are some comparisons to cj benchgrade? Thank You Gentlemen.

10. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

I own the Alex. Definitely not EG but I think the Alex is a fine enough shoe. What comparisons are you looking for? I would say they are just below AS Exclusive.

11. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Senior member

Among the shoes I have I'd rank them as follows based upon quality of materials:

C&J Handgrade
    AS Exclusive
    C&J benchgrade
    Alden
    AE

I'd say it's a pretty linear from top to bottom in terms of the drop off between each of my ranks, although the Alden to AE is the biggest drop off and C&J Handgrade and AS Exlcusive are probably the closest.

Good luck.

12. johnH123

johnH123 Senior member

Thanks for the responses, I will probably list them and see what happens. Not looking to actually turn a profit or anything, just want to pass them on to someone else and get some of my $$ back to use for something else. I picked them up on a trip to the UK, they were a special make up for a shoe store in Scotland in a brown roughout type of leather that I've not seen too often.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  13. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

Thank You gentlemen, I was looking for what you provided a general comparison and what I should expect quality wise. I understand your plight dr. I purchased a pair of Alden cigar boots last month, then the ravello chukkas became available, the alex I have planned to purchase since my last visit to NYC. The cherry on top, eg trunk show next month. After this I'm done for a while or I will have to start shipping shoes to my office.

14. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Senior member

Do you have any pics and more details? C&J's rough-out is a great all-weather leather.