** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. gotmoo

gotmoo Member

It's not just Japan...things cost way more in countries like Canada too, easily 20% over the same item compared to the US...

2. stevent

stevent Senior member

3. theundeadkennedy

theundeadkennedy Senior member

[​IMG]I was hoping someone could identify these boots Daniel Craig is wearing. I've read they were C&J but have not found out more than that. Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013

4. Gerry

Gerry Senior member

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013

5. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Senior member

They're the Skye. I posted a pic of mine a day or two ago on here.

6. jvc44

jvc44 Senior member

What c&j last is similar to the 240 in the BB peal ?

7. theundeadkennedy

They are not the Islay, but he does wear the Islay in the new James Bond movie and I love those as well.

Thanks! These are the next pair of C&J I want to pick up after my Islay pre orders eventually show up. Does anyone know where the chestnut Skyes might be in stock in the near future? And are they a model that will most likely be around for awhile in the same color? It seems as soon as I come across an item I like they stop making it, always late to the party it seems.

8. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Senior member

Give C&J a shout direct and get that pre-order in - they're one model that are always in demand. Think I had to wait just over a month for mine, but it was well worth it as I'm still well chuffed with them.

9. S K M

S K M Senior member

Just received this very nice pair of Millbanks today. Don't know if I can really justify the purchase, since I already own a pair of Tetburys in dark brown. However, it seems like the Millbank has been discontinued (in suede at least) in England, so I probably made the right choice :)

[​IMG]

10. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I've been going to Japan for the last 20 years and, whilst was significantly more expensive more expensive than Australia throughout the 1990s, I find that I actually save money when I go there nowadays as prices for many things in Japan have been stable or have fallen over the past decade, whereas prices for many things have risen dramatically here over that period.

English and American shoes are very expensive in Japan because of high import duties, so as to protect domestic brands such as Regal. For some reason, Italian shoes aren't as expensive, comparatively speaking, as I remember thinking that the Santoni and Ferragamo models were more reasonably priced, whereas Alden, C&J and Edward Green prices were ridiculously high.

11. nutcracker

nutcracker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Import duties arent the only reason why some import brands cost so much in Japan. Importers tend to add a comfortable cushion to the price to guarantee profit even as currency rates fluctuate. For example, the current USD/JPY rate is $1=89 yen or so today (been in 70's range for a long while). From what I understand, a few years back, Gaziano Girling's Japanese importer Fontanbleau set the prices of GG shoes at a fixed rate of $1= 120 yen or so, and even as the yen strengthened, they never changed the price, hense GG shoes have been grossly overpriced in Japan (on par with John Lobb), and far more costly than EG for example, who is represented by a different Japanese importer. I remember Masa Hasegawa complaining that they (Gaziano Girling) didnt like seeing their shoes priced too high, but had no power over their Japanese importer's pricing policy. Now, it seems like G&G is taking distribution in Japan into their own hands (established G&G Japan company), and hearing from the G&G thread in the Japanese forum, quite a few here in Japan are hoping to see the prices being lowered.

12. furo

furo Senior member

the bag ruins this

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013

13. theundeadkennedy

Thanks for the info!

14. stevent

stevent Senior member

15. Chicagobred

Chicagobred Well-Known Member

So can anyone confirm whether the Audley III is replacing the Audley worldwide or if it is simply a Japan-only model? I was planning on buying the Audley literally this week, but would rather hold out for the Audley III based on this magazine scan. As always, I thank the forum for its omnipotence and benevolence.