1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

ive seen this in other shoes. It looks soft but its actually really firm. Once I took apart a pair of trickers and pulled out the toe cap reinforcement you describe. Once removed, the toe cap lost some of its shape but I prefer that look on a pair of beaters.

2. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I own the Islay as well.

The Scotch Grain really wears and ages well.

I also like the fact that it has the Dainite sole.

3. The7Ups

The7Ups Well-Known Member

No. The Snowdon boot on a commando sole has one but the rest don't.

4. razl

razl Senior member

Congrats! That's a heckuva way to start a membership. If you haven't cross posted already, I'm sure the oglers on the Recent Purchases thread will enjoy your contribution: http://www.styleforum.net/t/79083/recent-purchases And, Welcome to StyleForum.

5. Nikos

Nikos Senior member

I might comparing different things, but would you say that the Islay justifies the premium over Pembroke?

6. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

I (surprise, surprise) own both the Islay and the Pembroke. I say they have different purposes. I use my Pembrokes for trekking around during rainy days; My Islays are primary worn during REALLY bad weather (e.g., thunderstorms) and I have to get around. The fit of the Pembroke is closer to a smart shoe whereas the Islay is generously sized for a country boot (paired with thicker socks). I do like the taller shaft of the Islay (taller than my AS Fordham and Tricker's Stow) so it offers more support.

Hope this helps.

1 person likes this.
  7. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

I will, for now on, call you "the surgeon" :thumbs-up:

8. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

Isn't it enough justification for the premium because Daniel Craig wore the Islay in the last James Bond movie "Skyfall"? :)

1 person likes this.
  9. razl

razl Senior member

Judging by the number of Ebay and B&S listings that cite it, it looks like the market says yes.

10. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

I actually wonder about C&J's price differences. The Cottesmore is one that confuses me since it is a BG boot but is pretty much HG price!

11. WiredandTired

WiredandTired Senior member

Design or construction premium maybe for the cottesmore. Somebody with more shoe knowledge might chime in here, but are jodhpurs harder to produce due to less uncut leather and being a boot?

It is also quite sleek and a looker. Too bad it's probably too narrow.

12. Nikos

Nikos Senior member

It sure does.
    I have no access to C&J here, so it is hard to tell the differences from the images (I can tell the one is a boot of course [​IMG]).
    I realize the Islay, as much as I like it, is probably a bit too much for the Greek weather.

13. Mr Engineer

Mr Engineer Senior member

After being on the Bodileys waiting list for 3 months my first pair of C&J's have finally arrived .Selbournes[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Very nice!

As a question, is it standard to wait month for C&J RTW from Europe vendors? Are there times in the year that they stock back up by chance?

15. Mr Engineer

Mr Engineer Senior member

Pretty much every Europe online vendor that I checked had a waiting list on most C&J. Bodileys has a few C&Js in stock but models and sizes are limited.

16. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Not narrow at all. The Cottesmore is on the 341 which is a more generous last. [​IMG]
    Depends on your style. There are people in Texas who wear boots all year. It is a more relaxed environment though. When I was with my fiance in Cyprus last summer, I pretty much wore my Alden LWBs and she kept saying I'd stand out because they were too dressy.
    This started, maybe by coincidence, when C&J stepped up their own website and ecommerce. I assume most inventory would be sent to the company stores so they are usually kept in good stock.

17. WiredandTired

WiredandTired Senior member

Since I've got your attention dpprdr. I think you have a pair of marlows. How does the 341 last fit in comparison to 325. The marlow wingtip fits me well TTS. I was thinking of picking up something in 341.

When people say generous last, it usually applies to average feet. I have a wider foot, on the wider side of 8E us size. So even on a generous last, I am worried on width.

18. Nikos

Nikos Senior member

She was probably right, but if I met you I would certainly approve. I work in an office where brogues are indeed considered too dressy, I get this a lot.
    Anyway, I guess I'll go for the Pembroke in tan, as it has a less strict seasonality than the Islay.

My argument for the Islay (or the Skye which also seems nice) is that I do not own any boots.

19. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

^^^ Nikos, have you checked out the Harlech boot in shell cordovan? Once you get some shell you'll want more.

20. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

The lighter color of the Pembroke would probably work better in the climate too! I think you can't go either way.
    I do have the RL Marlows which are similar to the Pembroke since they both on the 325. However, there is some discussion as to how C&J and RL convert their sizing from UK to US. For the RL Marlow, I wear US 7D and on the 341 I wear UK 6E. I find the Marlow just a tad longer, however, I find m shoes on the 241 more generous (if not slightly wider) in comparison. Did you stay TTS on your Marlow?