** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

1:10,000 chances?

2. raulishere

raulishere Senior member

3. alexSF

alexSF Senior member

Probably a special make up for a retailer, it's similar to the coniston but differ for eyelets, last (240 usually used by peal&co) and for the flat welt and double leather sole.
    It's really nice.

4. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Senior member

I have the 348, which I find a bit narrow in a 7.5UK and the 363 boot last, which I find to be nearly perfect in an 8UK. But, with boots, due to the ankle lacing, there's much less chance of heel slippage, which was the problem with the 348 in size 8.

I'm an 8.5US on the brannock. I have narrow heels, so heel slippage is common, but I have flat feet that spread out, so a narrow shoe doesn't fit on the ball, even though it's perfect on the heel.

5. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

How does the 325 last fit compared with the 337? My Belgraves are a little tight at the ball of the foot and there is no way I could go narrower.

6. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Looks alot like the C&J for BB Black Fleece boot I have. Mine are dark brown grain calf.

7. Frank the sheep

Frank the sheep Senior member

Sorry for the late reply, busy day!

At first they were so tight i was going to sell them (picked them up at B&S) but i just put them on during evening when i watched TV and after 2-3 of those sessions they were ok. When i started to walk in them they stretched more and after maybe 3-4 times they got really comfy. Now i can wear them all day but when i got them maybe 2h. I´m happy i didn´t sell them and took a UK7.5 instead.

This is tricky. I always try 0.5 size under what i think is best just for reference so i always feel confident i took the best size. After one year of use i have several shoes that i think i could have gone with the 0.5 smaller size (they fit fine but lost that snug fit) but i know i´ve tried that size and they were too small. So i´ve came to the conclusion that i´m UK 7.25 in most shoes...

8. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

thanks for all the replies, guys.

kw - i would love bespoke, but my wallet wont let me. [read - wallet and wife]

frank - thanks for answering my follow up, much appreciated.

9. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

The variations always intrigued me. Theoretically, the girth of the shoes from each respective line (HG, BG) should be fairly similar except length and toe shape (since C&J has a set of trees for each line). However, this does not seem the case. Today: Somerville with matching uppers and shaft in brown calf [​IMG]

10. niklasnordin

niklasnordin Senior member

I have the wholecut weymouth in 337 and the Chukka boot Chepstow in 325 so its not really the best comparison, but
    I'd say the 325 is roomier in every way.
    I dont think you will have any problem with it being too narrow.

11. Hermitedge

Hermitedge Senior member

I hope I'm not spamming the thread, but would C&J be considered superior in quality to Alden? I'm specifically trying to compare Alden boots (shell or calf) with say C&J boots.

12. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Just my experience with both brands, I find (when) you get better finishing with Alden shell and obviously more variety but C&J hands down has better construction, quality, and consistency. Alden does casual better than C&J and vice versa for sleekness.

13. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I have yet to have any quality issues with any of my Alden's but I have read a number threads were people have had. I don't remember reading any threads were people have had quality issues with C&J, but imagine there may be some who have. Not sure if this has to do with more Alden's being purchased or C&J doing a better job of quality control, but I do get the feeling C&J does a better job in regards to quality control.

The one thing Alden tends to get right and better than most if not all others is the luster of their shell.

For me however the choice has more to do with design than questions of quality because so far my experience has been equally great in regards to quality.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013

14. Stirling

Stirling Senior member

There are several threads and many posts which discuss quality issues of many manufacturers including C&J actually.

However I feel I agree with earlier post regarding Crockett's superior construction.

15. kwhunter

kwhunter Senior member

that day will come...