** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. niklasnordin

niklasnordin Senior member

I'd say that's pretty normal.
    Here's some pics of my beloved Chepstow. They're on their second season and Ive just started using dark brown for the toe and medium brown for the rest.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Senior member

The Islay was one of the boots that caught my eye the first time that I went into the local C&J shop and I've had my pair for around a year now.

It would be interesting to know what they'd actually go for these days on eBay as the Barbour Tokito jacket that Craig wore with the Islays is still fetching up to a thousand quid on there...

3. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Heh, if I can get a premium I would definitely unload my Islays and use the earning for a pair of Galways (no offense to the C&J crowd) :embar:

4. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Has anyone here seen or owned a pair of C&J Reptons?

If so what are your thoughts on these shoes?

5. phorm

phorm Well-Known Member

I picked up a couple pairs from the C&J shop in Manhattan last week. Thought I'd share some photos and my sizing experience. I usually wear an 8.5D. I wear an 8D in Barrie and Trubalance, 7.5 in Tricker's 4444 and 4497, 8E in EG 202, 8D in the RL Marlow WTB, 7.5E in 337 and found that I wear a 7E in 358.

The Marstons were very comfortable right from the start and I already like them quite a lot. I haven't had a chance to wear the Randolphs yet.

Randolph in Beechnut Burnished, 358 last, 7E
    [​IMG]

Marston in Chestnut Antique, 337 last, 7.5E
    [​IMG]

Here are a couple shots of the two new pairs along with my 6 year old Begraves in Chestnut Antique, 337 last, 7.5E. You can see that my Belgraves are a much lighter and redder shade than the Marstons. I'm not sure whether that's because my Belgraves have faded over the years or because of the various shades of polish I've been using. It's probably a combination of both, but I don't recall my Belgraves having ever been quite as brown as the Marstons.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. stevent

stevent Senior member

That is how a welt is closed. Most of my C&Js have something similar and every single Alden is like that. And residue on a rubber sole? Wipe / cut it off

7. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Senior member

My Westbournes are considerably lighter in color than my Somervilles and they are both listed as chestnut antique. Not sure why C&J have two colors called the same thing that look so different.

8. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

Nice shoes, scurvy!

9. scurvyfreedman

Unfortunately for me, those pairs are Phorm's. I was just commenting on the color differences he was noting.

10. meister

meister Senior member

Belgraves have a distinct red hue like the vintage reddish brown. At least mine do anyways.

11. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

The Belgraves are handgrade while the Westbournes are benchgrade, which explains the difference. The sales person at C&J in NYC told me that the benchgrades use pre-dyed French calf skin, while the handgrades use German calfskin that C&J dyes themselves. I didn't see the Somervilles listed on the C&J website, so I don't know which collection they are.

12. scurvyfreedman

Yes, but in the examples, the Belgraves, Marstons, and Somerville are all handgrades and the Westbourne are benchgrades. Meanwhile, the Belgraves (pictured) and Westbourne (mine) are the same color (lighter), whereas the Marstons (pictured) and Somerville (mine) are the same color (darker).

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013

13. Hermitedge

Hermitedge Senior member

They make a coniston model in cordovan available through C&J in the UK ? Is it the same style/price point as the one on the BB site?

14. misterjuiceman

misterjuiceman Senior member

I tried asking around in the Viberg threads, but I haven't had much luck. Does anyone know how their 2030 last compares to the C&J 325 last?

15. jns425

jns425 Well-Known Member

What do you guys think about the Alex in the 348 last to wear with a tuxedo?

I have never tried C&J before though. I am between a 7.5 wide and 8 wide on the brannock. 7.5 wide on the AE 5 last (park avenue and 5th avenue). I'm thinking of possibly ordering a 7.5 from Sky Valet or Barneys and seeing if they fit...